Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stuart P
    • By Stuart P 9th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 792Posts
    • 158Thanks
    Stuart P
    Buying a car with partial service history
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    Buying a car with partial service history 9th Aug 18 at 2:36 PM
    what are other people's thoughts are about buying a car with only a partial service history. i'm looking at buying my first car which will be used so this is all new to me. majority i've seen come with part service history the odd one or two will come with full. is it worth sticking out and travelling further to get one with a full history?
Page 1
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 9th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 10,395 Posts
    • 7,793 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    what are other people's thoughts are about buying a car with only a partial service history. i'm looking at buying my first car which will be used so this is all new to me. majority i've seen come with part service history the odd one or two will come with full. is it worth sticking out and travelling further to get one with a full history?
    Originally posted by Stuart P
    It depends on many things, how much are you looking to spend? The cheaper the car, the less history it's likely to have, but if you're only spending a couple of hundred quid, not so important.

Don't forget, if it's your first car, your insurance will be horrendous. Be prepared to spend more on the insurance than you're paying for a car, at least until you have several years NCD under your belt..
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Stuart P
    • By Stuart P 9th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Stuart P
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    thanks for replying

i've got a budget for the car of 2500. i'm 47(!) and insurance works out about 320 fully comp
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    • 3,651 Posts
    • 2,713 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    DO NOT FALL INTO THE LOW MILEAGE TRAP. Cars that are low mileage for their age have either done lots of short journeys or spent long times stood, neither of which are good for a car. Look for something that's averaged at least 10,000 miles a year, don't be afraid of 100,000 mile plus cars as long as they come with service history.
    • Stuart P
    • By Stuart P 9th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Stuart P
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    i have seen at a few 100,000 cars on autotrader that appealed to me but most come with part service history so i thought i'd ask about here see if the full service history is worth it
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 3,595 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    With your budget, if you want 'worry free motoring' my advice would be to spend 1000 on the car, 500 ish on a full service and any repairs that may be needed and put the other 1000 in the bank for any emergency repairs that may be needed down the line.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 9th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 3,730 Posts
    • 3,224 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    Means absolutely nothing, especially at this price point.
    I have a tatty, battered BMW 330d with 277,000 miles on the clock - got about half of the history for it but big chunks missing. Runs like clockwork, and still delightfully nippy when needed
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 10,395 Posts
    • 7,793 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    With your budget, if you want 'worry free motoring' my advice would be to spend 1000 on the car, 500 ish on a full service and any repairs that may be needed and put the other 1000 in the bank for any emergency repairs that may be needed down the line.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    ^^^^ this, in principle.... if you're going to spend a bit on sorting it out (whatever you get) you could even go several hundred cheaper on the purchase - there are lots of good motors out there well under 1k
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 10th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 12,775 Posts
    • 11,475 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    Some great replies above, I use similar philosophy.

The thing I'd add is to investigate what part/full service history means. Different people can define it as different things! I've bought cars that have been sold as having part service history where it was one invoice missing from 10 years ago.

I've seen others described as full service history which was true - it was a full record of all servicing done - there just weren't very many services that they'd had carried out.

The important thing to check with any servicing is what is due next and when. If cambelt or major service is due soon then it gives you a bit more leverage on the price.
    Last edited by jimjames; 10-08-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 10th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    eamon
    In 2008 I bought a mondeo 1.8LX for just over 3k, no service history (but may well have been in the Ford dealer database). Everything checked out such as HPI check and a good visual inspection and test drive and I owned it for 8 years only let me down once with a dead battery. Would probably still have it but for my needs changing.

As with other posters its nice to see a fully stamped serice book and paperwork for everything else, sometimes its just not available.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,706Posts Today

7,850Users online

Martin's Twitter