Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Twotwotwo
    • By Twotwotwo 9th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Twotwotwo
    Please help, UC and new style/Contribution based ESA
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    Please help, UC and new style/Contribution based ESA 9th Aug 18 at 2:34 PM
    Hi,

If anyone can please help I would be so greatful.

I am in the universal credit assessment phase but I think I will eventually be placed in the LCFWRA group. I get PIP at the moment which is standard rate for both parts. I left my job as my disability has got a lot worse and I cannot manage any longer.

My questions are

If I have enough contributions, can I claim new style esa which is contribution based as well as universal credit?

I know it's five weeks until I will get my first UC payment but I saw online that someone said it takes up to 14/16 weeks to get the LCFWRA part, is that right?

Thanks very much,

T
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 3,488 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    Hi,

someone said it takes up to 14/16 weeks to get the LCFWRA part, is that right?

Thanks very much,

T
    Originally posted by Twotwotwo
    If you're placed into LCWRA then your money will increase from weeks 14 of your claim. Assessment times vary and will depend on the back log in your area. A lot of people go over the time stated, if this happens and you're successfully placed into LCWRA group your money will be backdated to week 14 of your claim. It's exactly the same for New style Contribution based ESA.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 9th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    If I have enough contributions, can I claim new style esa which is contribution based as well as universal credit?
    T
    Originally posted by Twotwotwo
    Yes but you won't actually get any extra money because the ESA is deducted pound for pound from your UC.

There are a lot of things to consider when deciding whether it is worth claiming.

ESA is taxable. UC is not. Obviously this doesn't matter if your income for the year is too low to pay any tax anyway but if someone has been in a well paid job before claiming benefits it can be a consideration.

ESA can be backdated for up to 3 months if you qualify and you don't need a reason to request this. UC can only be backdated for maximum 1 month and even then only if you have a good reason for not claiming sooner.

You get Class 1 NI credits on ESA, class 3 credits on UC.

ESA is paid fortnightly. UC is paid monthly.

If your circumstances are likely to change in the future having the non means tested ESA may protect you from a future drop in benefit income.

ESA has limits on the amount of work you can do. UC has no such restriction although obviously UC is reduced as earnings increase.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 9th Aug 18, 8:03 PM
    • 5,475 Posts
    • 6,072 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:03 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:03 PM
    If you're placed into LCWRA then your money will increase from weeks 14 of your claim. Assessment times vary and will depend on the back log in your area. A lot of people go over the time stated, if this happens and you're successfully placed into LCWRA group your money will be backdated to week 14 of your claim. It's exactly the same for New style Contribution based ESA.
    Originally posted by poppy12345

I don't know how the terminology matches between UC and ESA. If LCWRA equates to the Support Group of ESA then yes there would be an increase on ESA from week 14, but if it's the equivalent of the ESA WRAG there is no increase on ESA.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 3,488 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    I don't know how the terminology matches between UC and ESA. If LCWRA equates to the Support Group of ESA then yes there would be an increase on ESA from week 14, but if it's the equivalent of the ESA WRAG there is no increase on ESA.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    For UC LCWRA is equivalent to Support Group for ESA. LCW for UC is WRAG for ESA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,605Posts Today

8,757Users online

Martin's Twitter