Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 9th Aug 18, 2:22 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    igorjenz
    Question about TV licence
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:22 PM
    Question about TV licence 9th Aug 18 at 2:22 PM
    I wonder why I have to pay for the TV licence, if I don't watch UK channels at all, I'm using my TV for a streaming kids channels from my country, and it is in Russian.
    The question is, why I have to fund TV licence, and in the end fund British TV channels.
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    The tv licence pays for BBC and Iplayer. Not all the other channels.

Sky/virgin etc are able to pick up BBC and therefore a licence would be payable.

Netflix doesnt pick up BBC and therefore no licence is required.

Just to give a little guidance
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 9th Aug 18, 5:03 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:03 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:03 PM
    All the facts at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/
    • igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 9th Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    igorjenz
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    Watching live foreign TV in the UK does require a licence
    If you watch 'live TV' from a channel that isn't broadcast in the UK (including those picked up via satellite or online), you need to be covered by a valid TV licence.

This is regardless of the country of origin or the language of the broadcast.

That's what the facts say, so live channels, even if they are streamed online needs a TV licence. Just don't get the point, why I have to fund BBC, if they don't have anything with channels from other countries.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Aug 18, 6:33 PM
    • 10,488 Posts
    • 10,651 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:33 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:33 PM
    The way that the TV Licence works in the UK (and in various other countries that have one) is that they are set up to be permission from the Government to watch TV broadcasts. (In certain countries, like Ireland, they are a permit to own a TV).

So, you need a Licence to watch TV Broadcasts - any broadcasts. There is more detail behind that rule, though, which may or may not help you...

- If you receive TV broadcasts by traditional means (Terrestrial, Satellite, Cable TV) you always need a TV Licence. If you watch the live streamed equivalent of these UK channels, you need a TV Licence.

- If you only watch catch-up services or video-on-demand, you do not need a TV Licence unless you are using BBC iPlayer.

- If you watch live streamed programs from abroad (which is what I assume you are doing), then the BBC says you need a Licence. This is the advice that MSE has followed. However, I have read the legislation and I am not so sure. But IANAL. I have also asked the BBC for a more detailed explanation, and they have refused to provide it.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 09-08-2018 at 6:49 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • HWW
    • By HWW 9th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    HWW
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    Nasa TV - via the internet, would you need a TV licence, to watch that?? (For example)
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 10,488 Posts
    • 10,651 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    Nasa TV - via the internet, would you need a TV licence, to watch that?? (For example)
    Originally posted by HWW
    Good question (thanks a bunch! )

I would say no, because it isn't a channel that is broadcast via traditional means in the USA. At least, I assume not.

This area of TV Licensing law (or should we say lore) is a mess and the BBC is not helping at all in its refusal to provide additional explanation.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 09-08-2018 at 8:50 PM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 9th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    igorjenz
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    So for example, if I will set the timer and all channels will be playing for example with an a hour delay, it will mean that I can watch without TV licence, isn't?
    Because there is no proper explanation on their website, and giving them a call is just useless spend of time, like in the most government owned places.
    Last edited by igorjenz; 09-08-2018 at 9:20 PM.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 10,488 Posts
    • 10,651 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    How are you watching the content? How is the content broadcast in Russia?

• igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 9th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    igorjenz
    How are you watching the content? How is the content broadcast in Russia?
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I watch through HD box, with IPTV service on it.
    Content is broadcasted through fee-payable service, something like Sky here in UK. So it has a lot of channels, but it doesn't broadcast freeview channels on it.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Aug 18, 10:21 PM
    • 10,488 Posts
    • 10,651 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I watch through HD box, with IPTV service on it.
    Content is broadcasted through fee-payable service, something like Sky here in UK. So it has a lot of channels, but it doesn't broadcast freeview channels on it.
    Originally posted by igorjenz
    According to the BBC you would need a Licence to watch.

• igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 9th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    igorjenz
    And also I can put a delay for all channels for specific time, so channels will not be live anymore.
    So the TV licence will not be needed?
    Last edited by igorjenz; 09-08-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    • igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 9th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    igorjenz
    I understand that they want me to pay the TV licence fee, I'm just trying to understand, what is the point of funding BBC for nothing, if I'm not using their services at all.
    It is same thing, if I will not have a car, but I still need to pay the Road Tax.
    Last edited by igorjenz; 09-08-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 10,488 Posts
    • 10,651 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I understand that they want me to pay the TV licence fee, I'm just trying to understand, what is the point of funding BBC for nothing, if I'm not using their services at all.
    It is same thing, if I will not have a car, but I still will need to pay the Road Tax.
    That's the way it works.

I'm no fan of the TV Licence, and believe that it should be abolished, so I'm not going to defend it any further than that.

• mije1983
    • By mije1983 9th Aug 18, 10:29 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,090 Thanks
    mije1983
    I'm just trying to understand, what is the point of funding BBC for nothing, if I'm not using their services at all.

Because that is the law if you watch 'live' TV. There is no rhyme or reason, it's just the way it is, currently at least. Who knows, it may change in the future.

• igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 10th Aug 18, 1:12 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    igorjenz
    Because that is the law if you watch 'live' TV. There is no rhyme or reason, it's just the way it is, currently at least. Who knows, it may change in the future.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    That's why I'm asking, if I will watch the same channel but not live, but with the delay, it will mean that TV licence is not needed anymore?
    As it will be recorded show, just like on Netflix or Youtube.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 10th Aug 18, 6:40 AM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    Xbigman
    How are you delaying it? If it is like pausing live TV where you are in fact recording it then you need a tv licence to watch or record live broadcasts.
    If the delay is simply a delay in starting the streamed program then that is catch up of some kind and I think you don't need a licence.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Aug 18, 7:20 AM
    • 10,488 Posts
    • 10,651 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    That's why I'm asking, if I will watch the same channel but not live, but with the delay, it will mean that TV licence is not needed anymore?
    As it will be recorded show, just like on Netflix or Youtube.
    Xbigman's answer is spot on.

If what you are watching is delayed locally, for example by pausing the live stream (as you can do on some UK broadcasters' live streaming services) then according to the BBC you still need a Licence.

If what you are watching is being streamed at a time that is specific to you from the Broadcaster then that is catch-up and definitely doesn't require a Licence.

As I said previously, this is how the BBC sees it. I disagree with their interpretation of the law, but it puts us in a tricky position of potentially having to comply with the BBC's interpretation because they make and enforce the rules, not because they are right - which is not a great position to be in.

This is a definitive answer (or as close to one as we will get given the BBC's reluctance towards openness on this issue).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-08-2018 at 10:00 AM.

• igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 10th Aug 18, 10:38 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    igorjenz
    How are you delaying it? If it is like pausing live TV where you are in fact recording it then you need a tv licence to watch or record live broadcasts.
    If the delay is simply a delay in starting the streamed program then that is catch up of some kind and I think you don't need a licence.
    Originally posted by Xbigman
    No I'm not going to record anything, it allows me to watch with the delay, for example for different timezones of watching, because this service is mostly for USA, and there is no point for people to watch night programmes during a day, so they use a delay.
    And most of the time I'am just watching a recorded channel, not like proper live.
    • igorjenz
    • By igorjenz 10th Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    igorjenz
    Xbigman's answer is spot on.

If what you are watching is delayed locally, for example by pausing the live stream (as you can do on some UK broadcasters' live streaming services) then according to the BBC you still need a Licence.

If what you are watching is being streamed at a time that is specific to you from the Broadcaster then that is catch-up and definitely doesn't require a Licence.

As I said previously, this is how the BBC sees it. I disagree with their interpretation of the law, but it puts us in a tricky position of potentially having to comply with the BBC's interpretation because they make and enforce the rules, not because they are right - which is not a great position to be in.

This is a definitive answer (or as close to one as we will get given the BBC's reluctance towards openness on this issue).
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Honestly I wasn't looking to buy TV licence anyway, just wanted to understand their policy. 150 a year is not a lot, but I don't think that I should pay for something I'm not using at all.
    Thanks for spending your time, and giving a best possible answer, it was really helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

9,384Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin