Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • monkey74
    • By monkey74 19th Jul 18, 5:04 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 5Thanks
    monkey74
    TV License - but it's to keep burglars away
    • 19th Jul 18, 5:04 PM
    TV License - but it's to keep burglars away 19th Jul 18 at 5:04 PM
    I can't find anything on this. If I use the TV only to keep burglars at bay when I go out, and only the cat is watching, do I need a license?
Page 1
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 19th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    littleboo
    • 19th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    I can't find anything on this. If I use the TV only to keep burglars at bay when I go out, and only the cat is watching, do I need a license?
    Originally posted by monkey74
    No, but the cat does
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 19th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 20,285 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 19th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    School's out?

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,140 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 19th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    Cats can't see telly as their brains work at the wrong speed.

You can get a gadget that makes fake TV flickering, probably costs 10-25 or so... maybe cheaper.

The cat can watch the gadget.... leave a radio on and he'll have no idea.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 19th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 19th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    Cats can't see telly as their brains work at the wrong speed.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    They can "see TV" actually, though they don't get a lot of benefit out of it because they don't realise its just a picture on a screen, so they'll think what they see is real. Our old family cat saw a bird on the TV once and decided to try and catch it
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 19th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    They just need to hit paws.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,202 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 19th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    My radio is so old it has cat's whiskers.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 19th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    Live mews at 10.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 19th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 20,285 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 19th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 19th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    Forget the TV, music should be fine for your feline friend. I'd recommend a bit of Cat Stevens.

• Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 19th Jul 18, 9:28 PM
    • 8,958 Posts
    • 10,389 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    They do if they're watching live TV.

Can't you put a DVD on, or playback a video from a memory stick?

And my cat used to love watching Juliet Bravo.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 20th Jul 18, 8:50 AM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Originally posted by monkey74
    From a practical standpoint, if there is no human adult present whilst the TV is in use, then there is no one committing the broad offence of watching/recording TV broadcasts who is also in-scope for prosecution.

I'm not sure its a defence I'd want to run with, but it would make an entertaining day out in Court.

• littleboo
    • By littleboo 20th Jul 18, 9:24 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    littleboo
    Unless the cat switches the TV on and off, then there must be a human present even momentarily.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 20th Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Unless the cat switches the TV on and off, then there must be a human present even momentarily.
    Originally posted by littleboo
    Remote power switch and IR sender from a human who is outside the UK.

If you're going to go to that much trouble, though, I would have thought that Cat Videos on Youtube might be a better choice, for which no TV Licence is required.

If the UK had a Cat Licence, would it be cheaper for black & white...?

Last edited by Cornucopia; 20-07-2018 at 9:44 AM.

• HWW
    • By HWW 20th Jul 18, 11:12 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    HWW
    This thread will give the compilers, of the TVL propaganda dept food for thought - for the "Excuses for no TVL" that TVL pay to have published in local papers, all over the UK....

Does Mrs Slocum's cat, have a licence - by any chance? (The "P" word was censored !)
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 20th Jul 18, 11:20 AM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    ... the "Excuses for no TVL" that TVL pay to have published in local papers, all over the UK....
    Originally posted by HWW
    I'm pretty sure that TVL do not pay to place information in local papers. I'm pretty sure that if it were paid advertising, it would need to be clearly identified as such. What you see is the result of lazy, cheap journalism, and a false sense of public duty.

Does Mrs Slocum's cat, have a licence - by any chance? (The "P" word was censored !)
    Because MSE is above that kind of cheap innuendo.

• tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 20th Jul 18, 2:10 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    tacpot12
    The offence committed is receiving the signal in a viewable form. It doesn't matter if no one is watching, the offence is still committed.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 20th Jul 18, 2:18 PM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The offence committed is receiving the signal in a viewable form. It doesn't matter if no one is watching, the offence is still committed.
    Originally posted by tacpot12
    You may be right, but since the whole thread is somewhat jokey, I'm not sure we need to worry too much.

No cats have been harmed (or prosecuted) in the making of this thread.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 20-07-2018 at 2:34 PM.

• Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 20th Jul 18, 4:42 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I'm surprised @Housemartin hasn't been on frothing at the mouth and spitting out cat fur. He would take the OP seriously.
    • drphila
    • By drphila 20th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    drphila
    This is the trouble with the cats of today. Stuck inside in front of a screen for hours on end when they should be outside in the fresh air
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 26th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    Zola.
    I have a feline the cat licence doesn't cost as much
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,565Posts Today

6,599Users online

Martin's Twitter