Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joehfax
    • By joehfax 9th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 16Thanks
    joehfax
    Hive, is it worth it?
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    Hive, is it worth it? 9th Aug 18 at 2:17 PM
    Hi all, hope I'm in the right place.
    I have just had a new central heating system and boiler installed and hive was included in the package, I am now looking at hive bulbs and other products and wondering if it's worth it?
    If it is where is the best place to buy compatible products.

Thanks
Page 1
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 9th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    I'm sure you will get a mixture of comments from saying Hive is brilliant to saying that it is a waste of money. I don't have it myself but you can find compatible products on their website - https://www.hivehome.com/products
    • r2015
    • By r2015 9th Aug 18, 3:09 PM
    • 1,113 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    r2015
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:09 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:09 PM
    I just had an email from Scottish Gas Rewards wanting to give me one for 199 fitted.

Even if it saves me 5% (if even that) on the 10500 kWh that is used for heating (does not include hot water and cooking which according to my smart meter is 11 kWh a day) it would probably take about 15 years to break even.

Would you fit one given these circumstances?
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    takman
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    Hi all, hope I'm in the right place.
    I have just had a new central heating system and boiler installed and hive was included in the package, I am now looking at hive bulbs and other products and wondering if it's worth it?
    If it is where is the best place to buy compatible products.

Thanks
    Originally posted by joehfax
    Personally i don't like the idea of the bulbs because if someone turns of the light switch then you have to manually turn it on again defeating the point of a smart bulb.

I have Sonoff light switches in my house that cost around 12 each which simply replace existing light switches so they can be turned on and off as normal as well as remotely.
    But don't go out and buy one of these before you do some research and you may need to choose a different switch if you have no neural wire.

I just had an email from Scottish Gas Rewards wanting to give me one for 199 fitted.

Even if it saves me 5% (if even that) on the 10500 kWh that is used for heating (does not include hot water and cooking which according to my smart meter is 11 kWh a day) it would probably take about 15 years to break even.

Would you fit one given these circumstances?
    Originally posted by r2015
    It's not purely designed to be a money saving device so you can't really justify it that way.

It's primary purpose is to be able to remotely control your heating and having it come on when your on your way home and not come on when your out etc. So you that means you have a house that is always at a comfortable temperature but saving energy by only being heated when necessary.

You could of course manually turn the heating on when you arrive home and save even more money but you would always come back to a cold house.

Personally i would recommend the Nest over the Hive as the Nest also remembers what temperature you have at certain times of the day. So you don't have to keep lowering and raising the temperature if you prefer is colder at night for example.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 9th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    I think it is worth it because of its flexibility. If you are out a fair bit or come home at unpredictable times it gives you a much more pleasant house.
    The lights do have limitations but if you want the security of having a hall light come on and go off when you are no there or prefer not to come home to a dark house then they are useful. You can buy at Amazon (17.98 instead of 19.99) as well as directly from Hive. Hive occasionally has offers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,348Posts Today

8,530Users online

Martin's Twitter