Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 9th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 1,721Posts
    • 387Thanks
    Chomeur
    0 WOW
    Travel Vaccinations (Yellow Fever)
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel Vaccinations (Yellow Fever) 9th Aug 18 at 2:07 PM
    Where's a good value place to get a yellow fever vaccination in London? (Or Naples, Italy would be good too, but not really expecting many replies on that).

Thanks
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 10,366 Posts
    • 11,684 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    There are loads of travel vaccination clinics around London and they will all be a very similar price. (In the region of 60-70) so just do a search on Google for one in the area you are in.
    • chiny
    • By chiny 9th Aug 18, 10:51 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    chiny
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:51 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:51 PM
    I use Nomad Travel for jabs and found them good value. They also employ very professional nurses, who understand the jabs, the disease risks, the whole works.

Annoyingly, I've had 2 yellow fever jabs in my time - latest WHO advice appears to be that 1 jab is probably OK for ever or 35 years at least. But my last 1998 jab was on a 10 year certificate so its out of date but no-one wants to give me a third jab, especially as I'm a bit antique.

Last time I drove over a country border ostensibly needing a yellow fever certificate, the border guard took a 2 second look and went back to whatever he had been doing. So much for certificates. Still, better a jab than the disease.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 10th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Chomeur
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    I use Nomad Travel for jabs and found them good value. They also employ very professional nurses, who understand the jabs, the disease risks, the whole works.

Annoyingly, I've had 2 yellow fever jabs in my time - latest WHO advice appears to be that 1 jab is probably OK for ever or 35 years at least. But my last 1998 jab was on a 10 year certificate so its out of date but no-one wants to give me a third jab, especially as I'm a bit antique.

Last time I drove over a country border ostensibly needing a yellow fever certificate, the border guard took a 2 second look and went back to whatever he had been doing. So much for certificates. Still, better a jab than the disease.
    Originally posted by chiny
    My last one was 14 years ago, and I'm about to go to Brazil. Maybe I shouldn't bother.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 18,787 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    richardw
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    My last one was 14 years ago, and I'm about to go to Brazil. Maybe I shouldn't bother.
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    What does your travel insurance say about inoculations?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 21,217 Posts
    • 17,036 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    The NHS advice (link below) is that for most people a single dose provides life long protection. It confirms the average cost is 60 - 80, and provides a link to vaccination centres. You should check whether Brazil requires a certificate.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/yellow-fever/vaccination/
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 10th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Chomeur
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    The NHS advice (link below) is that for most people a single dose provides life long protection. It confirms the average cost is 60 - 80, and provides a link to vaccination centres. You should check whether Brazil requires a certificate.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/yellow-fever/vaccination/
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Thanks I won't get a booster.

Brazil doesn't require a certificate.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 10th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    Thanks I won't get a booster.

Brazil doesn't require a certificate.
    I went to Brazil in 2005 and a certificate was required if you arrived from a country with Yellow Fever. I was crossing from Argentina so got the jab only to find no one at the border so couldve got away without one.

Brazil did have an outbreak of Yellow Fever within the last year so Id suggest it worth getting vaccinated anyway.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 21,217 Posts
    • 17,036 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:49 PM

Brazil did have an outbreak of Yellow Fever within the last year so Id suggest it worth getting vaccinated anyway.
    Originally posted by Ballard

The OP has already been vaccinated.

My last one was 14 years ago...
    • chiny
    • By chiny 10th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    chiny
    The OP has already been vaccinated.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    But 14 years ago, when probably the certificate gave an expiry date of 10 years, so is out-of-date. Unlike the effectiveness of the jab... annoying.

What I did is take my 1998 expired slightly grubby vaccination certificate to Nomad Travel, who are authorised to write a new style, yellow-coloured certificate with nice official stamp, officially a replacement (cost 15). Yes, the vaccination is still out-of-date bureaucratically but the certificate is shiny new and impressive at a border.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 12,755 Posts
    • 221,514 Thanks
    greenbee

Originally posted by chiny
    I had my 10-year yellow fever certificate reissued as a lifetime one for 15 not long ago. I was going to the Philippines not long after a trip to Brazil, so needed it (didn't need it to get into Brazil, just to prove I wasn't going to be carrying infection from there to the Philippines).

I do, however, need to get my 3rd rabies jab done - I had two a very long time ago and apparently it's worth getting the final one done.
    • chiny
    • By chiny 12th Aug 18, 8:55 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    chiny
    Ah... rabies jabs... a fellow travelling pin cushion

From unreliable memory - discussions with the nurse administering my pre-exposure rabies jabs - if you leave a long period between jabs, you may have to start again. Medical advice needed I suspect.

10 years for a booster, assuming the usual 3 pre-exposure jabs.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Aug 18, 10:42 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 38,962 Thanks
    Katiehound
    From paperwork provided by surgery- from Travel Health Pro:

"According to World Health Organisation from July 2016 (for all countries), the yellow fever certificate will be valid for the duration of the life of the person vaccinated. As a consequence, a valid certificate, presented by arriving travellers, cannot be rejected on the grounds that more than ten years have passed since the date vaccinatioin became effective as stated on the certificate; and that boosters or revaccination cannot be required.
    See WHO Q&A"

So, it looks like a certificate from the year dot is now valid!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6416cc+.2415mm (2.41.5) + RK 6.00
    • chiny
    • By chiny 14th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    chiny
    Now that is good news, so good I double checked with the WHO site itself. I'll have to hope that border guards are also up-to-date, when I make a relevant border crossing later this year.

My other half has a jab date of 30 Oct 2017, and her certificate includes the magic words "Valid... life of person vaccinated".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,135Users online

Martin's Twitter