Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shapala
    • By shapala 9th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    • 394Posts
    • 14,551Thanks
    shapala
    Paying in cheques with debit card but I don't know my PIN
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    Paying in cheques with debit card but I don't know my PIN 9th Aug 18 at 2:00 PM
    Hi all.

I need to pay in a number of cheques (none more than £40) and want to pay in to my Santander account - I never use the debit card when out and about and do not know my PIN . Does anyone know if you can walk in to branch and ask to pay in the cheque without the PIN or is that a must?

Otherwise I'll have to go to HSBC branch which is much further away from me.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 9th Aug 18, 2:08 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:08 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:08 PM
    They should still be able to take the payments as your debit card has your account details on it, which the cashier can enter manually.

While you are there, ask the cashier to get the bank to post out a reminder PIN for you.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    Pay them in at the post office, if you have any of the envelopes. If you don't have any get some, they may come in handy.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 9th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 15,176 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    I believe that Santander require you to have your pin when making any transaction, they should be able to pay in on this occasion and order a new pin out to you.

If this is not suitable you will either have to use HSBC with counter credits (although not all branch allow this now due to closures and removal of paper paying in slips) I do not know if the paying in machine allows you to type in the sort code/Account number or you need a pin for their machines, but seems like Santander is closer and get a replacement PIN number.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2019 #10 Total (£16000)+£0/£12000 = 0.0%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12 #97 Total (£450)+£1/£500 = 0.20% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total (£165)+£0/£365 = 0.00%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£1300)+£0/£1000 = 0.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1030)+£0/£2000 = 0.0%

Total £1.00/£15865 = 2.00%
    I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • shapala
    • By shapala 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 14,551 Thanks
    shapala
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    Pay them in at the post office, if you have any of the envelopes. If you don't have any get some, they may come in handy.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Envelopes? Sorry but don't quite understand how that relates to a cheque . The cheques came from rebates from mobile phone companies (mobiles.co.uk ) and a few from family for my birthday.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 9th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    Iíve recently paid in to NatWest and TSB without a card. I just tell them my details from my phone.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 8,783 Posts
    • 10,066 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    Envelopes? Sorry but don't quite understand how that relates to a cheque
    Originally posted by shapala
    https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/help-support/ways-to-bank/banking-at-your-post-office clarifies that cheque deposits require:
    A personalised paying in slip and a deposit envelope along with the cheque(s) you want to deposit

[...]

To use this service, you'll need to pre-order paying in slips and deposit envelopes by calling 0800 9 123 123.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 25,382 Posts
    • 12,595 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    OP do you have a mobile app for Santander banking?
    Do they let you pay them in by taking a photo of the cheques?

If so problem solved.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 33,160 Posts
    • 20,881 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    I think you should know what the pin is even if you change it to 1 you know.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 5,779 Posts
    • 16,677 Thanks
    CHRISSYG

My post office has the envelopes for all banks , i usually just go in and ask for one .
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones thereís a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
    • shapala
    • By shapala 10th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 14,551 Thanks
    shapala
    Update: I realised I have a TSB branch a 20 min bus ride so went there this morning and paid in the cheques. Was asked for photo ID and fortunately had my driving license on me but everything paid in and since I never use TSB (only opened the accounts for the interest which is now 5% up to £1500) I also didn't know the pin.

Anyway, all done. Thanks for the replies and I'll remember to get some of these envelopes and maybe just use the PO in future as that's a 5 minute walk from where I am so much more convenient.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    EssexExile
    My post office has the envelopes for all banks , i usually just go in and ask for one .
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG
    Some do & some don't. I asked in our local post office for some Santander envelopes & they denied they offer that service for Santander! Then I phoned Santander for some envelopes & they denied they offer this service at the post office! Not one to give up I asked for "some of those envelopes with the Bootle address in green" which they sent me & I use to pay in at the post office.
    Customer service is not one of Santander's strong points, nor the post office's.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Aug 18, 11:20 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    takman
    Update: I realised I have a TSB branch a 20 min bus ride so went there this morning and paid in the cheques. Was asked for photo ID and fortunately had my driving license on me but everything paid in and since I never use TSB (only opened the accounts for the interest which is now 5% up to £1500) I also didn't know the pin.

Anyway, all done. Thanks for the replies and I'll remember to get some of these envelopes and maybe just use the PO in future as that's a 5 minute walk from where I am so much more convenient.
    Originally posted by shapala
    Soon most accounts will allow you to pay in Cheques online using an image so you won't have to waste any time going anywhere to pay them in!.

You may already have an account with a bank that allows it now so it's worth checking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

435Posts Today

4,191Users online

Martin's Twitter