Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • haventearnedit
    • By haventearnedit 9th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    haventearnedit
    0 WOW
    Spain by ferry is so expensive
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    0 WOW
    Spain by ferry is so expensive 9th Aug 18 at 1:51 PM
    New poster here looking for some advice! Are there any ways to get a Ferry to Spain via car and save some money? The cheapest I could find is a 500 return. I would fly but I hate flying and I suffer from a panic disorder so probably not advisable anyway.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 20,705 Posts
    • 16,511 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    When? How many people? What size car? From which UK port to which Spanish port?

If you did fly then you wouldn't have your car with you so you'd have to factor in hire charges if you need one.
    • PDC
    • By PDC 9th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    PDC
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    This is around the average of prices I've seen. We've looked a few times over the years and the prices to Spain have always been quite high, enough to put us off. A Ferry to France would be much cheaper - normally in the 50-100 range but then you've a lot of miles to cover to get to Spain.

Perhaps taking a ferry without the car and then hiring a car at the other end may work out cheaper?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    Driving through France is an option - you would need to factor in the fuel costs, meals on route and possibly an overnight stop.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 12,273 Posts
    • 8,374 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    The cheapest way to get there would be Eurolines: a bus from London that would pass through the tunnel and then take you across France.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 9th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 779 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    New poster here looking for some advice! Are there any ways to get a Ferry to Spain via car and save some money? The cheapest I could find is a 500 return. I would fly but I hate flying and I suffer from a panic disorder so probably not advisable anyway.
    Originally posted by haventearnedit
    look at joining Brittany Ferry club voyage - you can get some decent discounts via them.

Mark
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 9th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    Its a frequent Question and there are other forum people out there who can help you with their "Club Voyage" number which save a little; see many of the posts at
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5671798&highlight=brittany+ferrie s

But, as a regular Brittany Ferries customer I'd observe that by the time you factor in the short crossing cost, fuel, tolls, stress on you and the car and a hotel in France, driving the extra 400-600 miles isn't much cheaper (see the fuel / toll /route calculators at viamichelin.com )

And as I've said a few times (e.g post #8 at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5480847&highlight=brittany+ferrie s )
    there are ways to save on BF:

If you book even three nights accommodation with them (click the 'holidays' button not 'ferry' or whatever on their website) , the ferry crossing price falls so much that in effect, the hotel or cottage is free.

Also, they have a little publicised early booking discount period, for about a 4-5 weeks in, usually late Nov, or Dec or Jan each year. This meant that while a return car crossing only, with a basic inside cabin with bunk beds is about 600-800, we paid under 950 this May for a fortnight away. This included 12 nights B&B in exceptionally good hotels, a cabin upgrade each way (which usually costs 240 extra) to an 'outside large 2/4 berth'; so, a proper window, sea-view and no climbing ladders!

It's really worth upgrading, as the basic inside cabins are a bit tight- albeit adequate with ensuites. Don't even think of travelling without a cabin as that's no fun!

For us, the 24 hour crossing's part of the hol, so we also push the boat out (so to speak) and eat in their excellent on-board restaurant from about 25 a head; especially as dining out in Northern Spain is very cheap right now, even with a depressed pound

You can book a couple of different accomodations en-route; easy to find on the planning map tool on their website (multi-site trips are best then booked by phone via their helpful call centre staff).

Or opt for their slightly cheaper 'no-frills' boats (not much cheaper so why bother) or cost a trip out to Caen or another French port and back from Spain- We did that one year when their boat broke the day before our planned trip; 10 hours through France but it did cost at least 200 on fuel & tolls which they refunded as well as giving us a free hotel night in La Rochelle mid way!

Buon viaje
    • antenna
    • By antenna 9th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    antenna
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    It is only worth joining Brittany Ferries Club Voyage if you make 2 or more return trips per year.
    Driving from dover....look at the costs. one way.....ferry 50,France tolls at least 60 could be 80,petrol/diesel to spain border 60/70...so around 220/250..............if you try to avoid tolls it can take you an extra 6 hours..............I used to drive Romford to Malaga every year thru France,but now i use brittany ferries using the "economy" service,takes 2/3 hours longer but it is a very good service
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • markandkate
    • By markandkate 13th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    markandkate
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    You could always consider Eurostar and then TGV the trains in France and Spain will take you where you want to get and they also have sleeper carriages
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    • 16,286 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    hollydays
    Coach trip?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 13,269 Posts
    • 11,264 Thanks
    zagfles
    And as I've said a few times (e.g post #8 at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5480847&highlight=brittany+ferrie s )
    there are ways to save on BF:

If you book even three nights accommodation with them (click the 'holidays' button not 'ferry' or whatever on their website) , the ferry crossing price falls so much that in effect, the hotel or cottage is free.
    Originally posted by AlexMac
    Also look at Eurocamp - if you book using them the ferry cost is much lower - close to half price! We've got the crossing and a week's accomodation for less than the price of the crossing alone booked direct with Brittany.

You could probably book just 1 or 2 nights with them and get their discounted ferry prices, the crossings dates don't need to tie in with the accomodation dates - we're spending nearly 3 weeks in Spain but only booked accomodation for 1.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

8,422Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin