Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westcountry saver
    • By westcountry saver 9th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 29Thanks
    westcountry saver
    Booked 5 bed villa but only 4 beds
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    Booked 5 bed villa but only 4 beds 9th Aug 18 at 1:24 PM
    I booked a 5 bed villa for a family holiday to Spain back in JanuaryI have just received an email from the booking agent to say it only has 4 bedrooms and we hope this doesn't spoil your holiday. The holiday is in 2 weeks time. I have emailed them asking to be moved to a 5 bed with the same facilities but haven't heard back yet.
    Don't know how to proceed if they refuse. Any advice would be gratefully received.
    TIA
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 10,193 Posts
    • 11,458 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    What exactly did you book?
    Was it a 5 bedroom villa or a villa with 5 beds?

The first one would have 5 bedrooms but the 2nd one could have 4 bedrooms provided that one of the rooms had 2 beds in (maybe two single beds for children).
    • NI BOBS
    • By NI BOBS 9th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    NI BOBS
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    This happened us with a rental agency. They offered us three options - full refund, option of some compensation if we could cope with change in what we had originally booked, or move us to a superior rental apartment at a heavily reduced rate.
    As flights booked we opted for the latter and got an amazing apartment that we couldn't have afforded at original price.
    All in all worked well in our favour.
    Hope this works out for you..

* Most companies scared not to be more than helpful for fear of bad reviews.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 9th Aug 18, 1:44 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 4,599 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:44 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:44 PM
    When it said "5 bed villa" did it specifically say 5 bedrooms? If it said 5 beds then they may have included the sofabed in that count.

Post #2 asks basically the same thing - I got caught on a phone call before hitting Submit.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • westcountry saver
    • By westcountry saver 9th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    westcountry saver
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    Definitely a 5 bedroom villa
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    • 13,398 Posts
    • 8,935 Thanks
    photome
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    Definitely a 5 bedroom villa
    Originally posted by westcountry saver

any links to the property
    how many did it say it slept, with 5 bedrooms I would expect 12 plus
    • prowla
    • By prowla 9th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 9,992 Posts
    • 8,159 Thanks
    prowla
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    I went on holiday a few years back and booked 4 bedrooms; when we arrived they gave us a smaller 3 bedroom apartment with fewer and said the kids could share; I told them I had paid for 4 and I'd like what I paid for, please. They begrudgingly moved us to the correct one.
    • westcountry saver
    • By westcountry saver 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    westcountry saver
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    We didn't book it for the amount of people going. We booked a five bed. There are nine in the party. They said in their email that they would "urgently amend their listing of the villa to reflect the change", too late for us though
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 9th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    If you booked a 5 bed they are contracted to give you that, therefore, if they don't they have broken their contract with you and they are liable to put it right. You will have to negotiate with them.

If you paid by CC you can ask for a refund or a chargeback if you paid by Debit card. At such a late stage though I doubt you want to do that....
    • westcountry saver
    • By westcountry saver 9th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    westcountry saver
    They have got back and are going "try to find" another 5 bed and will let us know early next week what they have.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 9th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 779 Thanks
    isplumm
    They have got back and are going "try to find" another 5 bed and will let us know early next week what they have.
    I think you need to see if you can find one yourself - anything left might be prepared to do a deal.

The weather in England has help people stay in the UK, so bookings abroad are down!

If you find anything get your original place to refund!

Mark
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 9th Aug 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Where in Spain is the villa?
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 10th Aug 18, 1:45 AM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    You need to tell them that try isn't good enough - they need to find somewhere, or you'll be booking elsewhere and claiming the difference from them.
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Aug 18, 6:34 AM
    • 13,398 Posts
    • 8,935 Thanks
    photome
    Do you have a link to the villa, I did ask before, it would help others point you in the right direction
    • westcountry saver
    • By westcountry saver 16th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    westcountry saver
    I think you need to see if you can find one yourself - anything left might be prepared to do a deal.

The weather in England has help people stay in the UK, so bookings abroad are down!

If you find anything get your original place to refund!

Mark
    Originally posted by isplumm
    Took your advice and found a couple we liked and they said we could swap to either one. Holiday is back on thanks.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 16th Aug 18, 11:41 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 7,378 Thanks
    melanzana
    I often wonder why these accommodations are called villas.

Surely they are just houses. Do the local population call them Villas or detached houses with perhaps a pool or something. Maybe someone will correct me!
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Aug 18, 6:45 AM
    • 13,398 Posts
    • 8,935 Thanks
    photome
    why is the villa a secret, naming it could stop others falling for the same mistake, unless they have amended the description
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    • 20,709 Posts
    • 16,546 Thanks
    agrinnall
    why is the villa a secret, naming it could stop others falling for the same mistake, unless they have amended the description
    Originally posted by photome

While we don't know if it's actually happened, post #8 says

They said in their email that they would "urgently amend their listing of the villa to reflect the change"
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 17th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 16,290 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    hollydays
    Don't email them, ring them ASAP
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 10,898 Posts
    • 9,192 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I often wonder why these accommodations are called villas.

Surely they are just houses. Do the local population call them Villas or detached houses with perhaps a pool or something. Maybe someone will correct me!
    Originally posted by melanzana
    "Villa" is a Latin word which translates as "a house in the country". It was often used to refer to the country property to which the wealthier Romans would retreat when needing respite from life in the city.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

4,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin