Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sherlde
    • By Sherlde 9th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Sherlde
    New rental property nicotine stained walls
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    New rental property nicotine stained walls 9th Aug 18 at 1:05 PM
    Need some advice on where we stand with a rental property we moved into at the weekend. The landlord (just moved out) had new carpets put in, but there were over 70 pictures left on the walls. When we removed them the walls are heavily nicotine stained in every room plus all the nailsnand picture hooks. Paintwork is also yellow. I have contacted the agent and said they need sorting, surely we should have a clean and presentable property at the start of our tenancy ? They have spoken to the landlord and he says he will provide the paint but we will have to paint the house ourselves as he has no budget for the work. I have responded that we work full time, itís not our responsibility and also thereís 70 holes to fill and new carpets not to get paint on. Where do we stand if he refuses to get the work done ?
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    Was there an inventory provided when you moved in and what condition did it give to the areas you describe?

The pictures on the walls that you have removed ...what have you done with them?

did you notice none of this when you first viewed the property or were you told it would be sorted prior to move in?
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-08-2018 at 1:11 PM.
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 54
    2017 -32
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 9th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    How come you moved in whilst the LLs stuff was still in the property?

Thats quite unusual. What does your imventory say?

Also take lots of photos
    • Sherlde
    • By Sherlde 9th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sherlde
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    The inventory listed and pictured all 70 of the pictures and we were told we could remove them and store them if we didn't want them up. Apparently the landlord hadn't had time to take them down. When we viewed the house was very full of "stuff" and the pictures hid the stains.

We picked the keys up on Saturday and were pretty shocked to find them all still on the walls and also a lot of old rusty garden furniture that we were told we could get rid off if we didn't want it. But the removal van was on its way and at that point there was little we could do, the agents were closed.

I took pictures and emailed them to the agent the same day.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    I rented a flat like this once - food still in the fridge, boxes of stuff everywhere - basically the landlady was too lazy and too penny pinching to move it, as though we should be grateful for being able to rent her home.

I'm not sure what the answer is as some landlords haven't got a clue about etiquette or business/customer services.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 16,899 Posts
    • 41,691 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    The issue is that you agree to an inventory that states you were taken the property as it is. As such, your LL doesn't not have to paint the house. This is something you should have queried and requested before you signed the contract and paid your first month rent.

As it is, I think that's as good as you are going to get, so I would get on with it over the week-end, although make sure you have it in writing that he is agreeing to you painting the room.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 3,474 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    Need some advice on where we stand with a rental property we moved into at the weekend. The landlord (just moved out) had new carpets put in, but there were over 70 pictures left on the walls. When we removed them the walls are heavily nicotine stained in every room plus all the nailsnand picture hooks. Paintwork is also yellow. I have contacted the agent and said they need sorting, surely we should have a clean and presentable property at the start of our tenancy ? They have spoken to the landlord and he says he will provide the paint but we will have to paint the house ourselves as he has no budget for the work. I have responded that we work full time, itís not our responsibility and also thereís 70 holes to fill and new carpets not to get paint on. Where do we stand if he refuses to get the work done ?
    Originally posted by Sherlde

Its not his responsibility either. Get over yourselves. That's the property on offer.

I doubt anyone offered to redecorate when you had a viewing.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    We viewed our flat whilst tenants were still living in it. Signed on the dotted line, paid rent/deposit and got the keys a week ago together with the inventory (we had 7 days to notify the LA of any issues).

I could have laughed reading through the inventory as I was walking round the flat. Walls described as good and painted, cupboards described the same (looked like a kid had been let loose with crayons in the cupboards and the was a huge mark in the lounge which happened to have the LL's mirror propped against it, rubbish paint jobs in the bedrooms and had clearly run out of paint, paint over the doors, coving, skirting, dents, paint peeled off - just to give you an idea). I had a shower, upon looking to adjust the temperature the dial came off (could tell it had been broken for quite a while).

Needless to say I went through the flat with a fine toothcomb, including checking every socket, light, door handle etc and I listed EVERYTHING wrong on the inventory and returned it to the LA; I made it clear I was only concerned with the shower being sorted and they have advised the LL will sort the shower and the electric sockets which are not working.

I am not, nor never would, expect someone to come in and repaint the flat.

A 'trade white' tub and 'trade magnolia' tub, cost about £30 for big tubs will be purchased in 6 months and we will give it a tidy up. In the interim we will go around getting all the overspray and overlap off, buff the walls and generally make it look nicer. WHY? Because it is our home hopefully for a few years whilst saving to get our own.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 9th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    Dear S, not only has no one sympathised that you have an idle, incompetent and amateur landlord with no sense of natural decency (for the record, and speaking as an amateur landlord myself, I do feel they are totally out of order!), but no-one has given you a straight answer to your Q:

Where do we stand if he refuses to get the work done ?
    Although I guess by now you have your reply; you probably don't have the right to expect clean, decorated walls, free of picture hooks or nails. And although you could follow SHELTER's advice and call in the Environmental Health Officer of your local Council,
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/complain_to_environmental_health_about_rented_hous ing
    they'd probably take the view that nicotine staining isn't actually a sufficiently severe health risk for them to enforce?

So unless you are prepared to paint the walls I guess you'll just have to put up with it until you quit in 6 months time (assuming a six-month AST). But I would record the condition of the flat on occupancy, ideally with photos, and advise the agent IN WRITING of your dissatisfaction and of every other smear, chip or defect, in case they start being silly about witholding the deposit. You can even make the point that you have, carefully and with their agreement, had to remove and store the pics.

I guess its too much to hope that the Agent is also so incompetent as not to have registered your deposit as they are obliged to (see the sticky at the head of this forum, above and
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/search?query=deposit+protection&type=Advice
    for how you can get the Landlord if they screw up o this)

My grand daughter is about to go into her first rented flat and I hope she never experience a shyster like your landlord!

Take comfort in the fact that the landlord will have a new set letting agent fees and hopefully a void after you leave and before the next mug (sorry, tenant) moves in. I find that if you treat tenants right they stay for ages, thus saving me thousands in fees and void over the years.

And I'm sure you're not so vindictive as to go round loosening all the picture hooks, replacing them in blu-tac or putty, then painting over them so that the pics fall off next time the landlord hangs 'em up? Life's too short to sink to their level!
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 9th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 4,661 Posts
    • 6,722 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    The thing is that the paint work was yellow and the walls nicotine stained when you viewed the property so nothing has changed. This is why you view a property you look to see if it suits you and if it doesn't you move on to the next one.
    • bris
    • By bris 9th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    • 7,789 Posts
    • 6,775 Thanks
    bris
    You viewed the property and got what you viewed. If you wanted a freshly painted house you should have negotiated it before the tenancy started not after.

How long do you expect to live there? If it's for a while then take the LL's offer for the paint. Bottom line, it's you who has to look at the walls, the LL doesn't care as he's not living there.
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 9th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    • 9,965 Posts
    • 5,373 Thanks
    dimbo61
    May sure you have in writing a signed agreement from the Landlord giving you permission to paint the property.
    If you bought a new home would you want to put your own stamp on the place ?
    As others have said take lots and lots of photos and e-mail them to the letting agents.
    A couple of tins of paint and some hard work scrubbing the woodwork before painting will transform the look of the property.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Aug 18, 10:36 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Nicotine on the walls is dirty and disgusting. It's like leaving the toilet full of waste.
    • Sherlde
    • By Sherlde 9th Aug 18, 10:43 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sherlde
    Thank you for the responses, jeez some of you are judgemental !

Just for the record I'm a landlord myself, I have relocated and renting until I'm settled in the area. I had my own property painted before the tenant moved in, and naively thought the priority I rented would be of the same condition. Yes I viewed the property, but the stained walls only became apparent when the pictures were removed after I got the keys. When I viewed the agent did in fact mention that there may be some decorating done but the landlord would see how it looked when he had removed all the furniture. By the agents own admission the landlord ran out of time.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Aug 18, 11:47 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    You viewed the property and got what you viewed. If you wanted a freshly painted house you should have negotiated it before the tenancy started not after.

How long do you expect to live there? If it's for a while then take the LL's offer for the paint. Bottom line, it's you who has to look at the walls, the LL doesn't care as he's not living there.
    Originally posted by bris
    Not really, the agent stated the landlord would do the alterations and they haven't been done - rather like buying a carpet with fitting and then it not being fitted. LL offer?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 10th Aug 18, 7:32 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 3,095 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Not really, the agent stated the landlord would do the alterations and they haven't been done - rather like buying a carpet with fitting and then it not being fitted. LL offer?
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    Where on earth have you got that from? All the OP had was mights and maybes which are worth nothing.

If you want to rent a lovely flat then find a lovely flat to rent. There's no point finding a grubby flat - which will be priced accordingly - and then expecting the landlord to refurbish the place after everything's signed and sealed.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 7:35 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    need an answer
    By the agents own admission the landlord ran out of time.
    That's because you signed a tenancy agreement to start on a particular day presumably of your choice.

If you had agreed a start date a few weeks later the LL would have had ample time to paint the property.

Were you keen to get into the property and perhaps asked for a start date that wouldn't have facilitated all the required decorating to be carried out?

I do sympathise with you,you have a LL who does not plan work within voids well and jumps at the chance of a tenant seeing and agreeing to renting it "in the condition it is".

when you view a property for rent you should view it as the standard at which you are happy to move into. If anything else gets done to it before you move in then that can be seen as a bonus but essentially you should be looking at the property with the mindset of this is as good as it gets,do I want to rent it in this condition.

Are you happy storing all the pictures?if not write and clearly ask that they are moved and that your inventory is updated to reflect this.

In having an inventory showing the pictures in place you could find yourself in the strange situation of returning them to the walls or be charged as a potential deposit deduction to put them back as per the check in inventory when you leave

Should you decide to paint again you must get some written confirmation that you have done this.

How long do you plan to stay?

short term I would possibly live with the situation but beyond that I probably would consider painting if only for your own "requirement".

Its not ideal but at least the LL is offering to supply the paint and is clearly not too bothered about the finish of the work you achieve.

The carpets were always that LL's priority in that redecoration prior to rental, if they had seen painting as a requirement then they would have factored that in before the carpet went down!
    Last edited by need an answer; 10-08-2018 at 7:53 AM.
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 54
    2017 -32
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 10th Aug 18, 7:38 AM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 6,422 Thanks
    00ec25
    When I viewed the agent did in fact mention that there may be some decorating done but the landlord would see how it looked when he had removed all the furniture. By the agents own admission the landlord ran out of time.
    "mentions" are not legally enforcible

you viewed a property, you accepted what you saw, you imposed no conditions (in writing) on your acceptance

you are now seeking to blame others for your own due diligence failure
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 10th Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    • 16,899 Posts
    • 41,691 Thanks
    FBaby
    You say it yourself, you were naive. He lived there and clearly was happy with the conditions of the house, so why would you assume that he would think it was acceptable for someone else? You clearly have higher standards than he does, hence you painting your house for rental.

The painting of a rental house IS one of the key thing to discuss when you visit. You didn't. As it is, he has offered to pay for the paint, so there is a compromise there. There are two of you, it takes a day to do it properly. Yes it would have been nice if he'd done it, but then he could have also asked for more rent. I would just get on with it as ultimately, what you want is a room with nice clean walls.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin