Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JadeLouise
    • By JadeLouise 9th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 10Thanks
    JadeLouise
    What do i counter offer
    • #1
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    What do i counter offer 9th Aug 18 at 12:39 PM
    hi,
    we put in an offer on a house yesterday for 135,000, its up at 149,000. The vendor bought at the end of 2014 for 115,000.

    The EA have just rung to say vendor wants minimum 145,000.

    Thats our max and I feel going straight to accepting that may be silly. Parents are saying go back at 140,000 , i think offer 142,000.

    ANY HELP ?!??!!
Page 2
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 12th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    35k profit on their house in just over three years with rising interest rates and Brexit looming might just be pushing it IMO. You should walk away, there will be plenty more houses for you to buy, and probably cheaper.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    It really depends on what condition the property was in, I mean it may have been a dump and they got it for 30k BMV spending that 30k on improvements. In which case its only realistically a 5k profit...

    Were there any other sales of similar properties in the area?
    • JadeLouise
    • By JadeLouise 13th Aug 18, 3:59 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    JadeLouise
    Placed a higher offer at 145,000 after they came back saying the same thing. I just called as had heard no update for 3 days and they have said vendor is now saying shell take it off the market if i offer 146,000. Now We can still afford 146,000 but feel frustrated at the pittance of 1000. We love the house and have been looking for 6 months and this is the only thing thats suited us and is in our price range. What to doooo.

    I know I should just say thats 145 is my final offer but its all agonising.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 13th Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    For 1k difference just pay it and be happy IMO. (only if you really want that house)
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 13th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    The EA are working for the seller so they can say anything to you.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    A common misconception - they're working solely for themselves, and the seller is the vehicle for obtaining money. They'll play both sides so long as they get the money.
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 13th Aug 18, 4:22 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    For 1k difference just pay it and be happy IMO. (only if you really want that house)
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    1k is a cheap week's holiday in the sun, or a dining suite or a lot of new carpet.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 14th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    1k is a cheap week's holiday in the sun, or a dining suite or a lot of new carpet.
    Originally posted by greatgimpo

    Its nothing in the context of buying house IMO + i can fill up my car like just 15 times for that money.



    Only reckon pay it if you really want the house, it will keep the seller happy and you need them happy because several weeks of dealing with solicitors to get deal done.
    Last edited by PokerPlayer111; 14-08-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    • Camster
    • By Camster 14th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Camster
    If the seller is saying offer the extra 1,000 and the house is yours, then I would pay it to secure the house.

    If you've been looking for something suitable for six months and the 1,000 brings this to an end for a house that you really want, then I think paying the extra would be worth it.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    • 12,716 Posts
    • 18,152 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    What the vendors paid for the property back in 2014 is irrelevant. You need to look at recent sold prices for similar properties in the same vicinity and see how they compare to your offer versus 145k
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 14th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 4,091 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    If the seller is saying offer the extra 1,000 and the house is yours, then I would pay it to secure the house.

    If you've been looking for something suitable for six months and the 1,000 brings this to an end for a house that you really want, then I think paying the extra would be worth it.
    Originally posted by Camster
    Problem is that they almost said as much when the EA said 145k was the minimum they'd accept.... So I'd hold firm for a little longer if I were you - re-state your offer of 145 and leave it on the table. And at the same time, get viewing other places with the same EA...
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Aug 18, 9:41 PM
    • 6,357 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    If the seller is saying offer the extra 1,000 and the house is yours, then I would pay it to secure the house.

    If you've been looking for something suitable for six months and the 1,000 brings this to an end for a house that you really want, then I think paying the extra would be worth it.
    Originally posted by Camster

    Not worth it if you are immediately losing 30 or 40k?
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 14th Aug 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    I would stick at 145k or maybe try and if you did up to 146 see if you can get something thrown in to sweeten the deal like a kitchen appliance/ curtains/furniture as long as there is something that you would genuinely find useful. Obviously is there is nothing but tat that's not going to work.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Aug 18, 10:38 PM
    • 6,357 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    hi,
    we put in an offer on a house yesterday for 135,000, its up at 149,000. The vendor bought at the end of 2014 for 115,000.

    The EA have just rung to say vendor wants minimum 145,000.

    Thats our max and I feel going straight to accepting that may be silly. Parents are saying go back at 140,000 , i think offer 142,000.

    ANY HELP ?!??!!
    Originally posted by JadeLouise

    A lot has changed since 2014, they are totally kite flying IMO. Wait to see what happens after Brexit before making offers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

  • RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

  • Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

  • Follow Martin