Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emily.mcintyre
    • By Emily.mcintyre 9th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emily.mcintyre
    Reversing car accident
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    Reversing car accident 9th Aug 18 at 12:12 PM
    Hello,

Last night I was involved in a car accident, my car was parked on a cinema car park and as I reversed out of the bay, checking at all times, a speeding taxi hit the left rear side of my car.
    I have two witnesses who said the taxi was at fault as we was speeding in a 5mph zone but I have just spoke to my insurance company and they have said as I was reversing and there is no way to prove the taxi was speeding it will count as my fault.
    There is quite a lot of damage to my car which could not have been caused if he was driving at the speed limit.
    I have also injured my shoulder during the collision.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether this is the case? My dad has said it would not be my fault as the other driver hit me.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    Hello,

Last night I was involved in a car accident, my car was parked on a cinema car park and as I reversed out of the bay, checking at all times, a speeding taxi hit the left rear side of my car.
    I have two witnesses who said the taxi was at fault as we was speeding in a 5mph zone but I have just spoke to my insurance company and they have said as I was reversing and there is no way to prove the taxi was speeding it will count as my fault.
    There is quite a lot of damage to my car which could not have been caused if he was driving at the speed limit.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether this is the case? My dad has said it would not be my fault as the other driver hit me.
    Originally posted by Emily.mcintyre
    I'm afraid this is correct. You are responsible for ensuring you emerge safely onto the "main carriageway" and give way to other vehicles. Whether or not the taxi was speeding, you still hold that responsibility and it will be impossible to prove the taxi was speeding anyway. The insurers may determine that the taxi driver is partially to blame but that will still mean you have an at-fault accident on your record which will probably increase your premiums.

If you can, in such circumstances in future, try and reverse into the space so you can pull forwards out with better visibility.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    My wife sighs every time I reverse into a spot asking me why I bother. This is why I bother - unless I can drive into the spot from a space behind.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 9th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 2,915 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    Afraid you are at fault here. Reversing out of a space is not very safety conscious. I'm with mercdriver on this one, always reverse into a space. Most of the employers I visit, the car parks have signs up "reverse parking".
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 36,837 Posts
    • 20,973 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    Hello,

Your dad has misled you.

All your fault as the correct authority (your insurer) has told you.

Go to the a&e for treatment to your shoulder. You don't get compo when you are to blame. Any passenger in your car can sue you though if you caused them injury!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    Hello,

Were you stationary when he hit you and if so for how long!
    Are you witnesses independent?

How are they doing to prove his speed was excessive?

The 5 mph will be for guidance only and not enforceable are the police considering doing him for careless driving?

Without any additional evidence and your insurance company being willing to fight this it’s your fault. Even if they did fight it you’d be looking at split liability.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    Afraid you are at fault here. Reversing out of a space is not very safety conscious. I'm with mercdriver on this one, always reverse into a space. Most of the employers I visit, the car parks have signs up "reverse parking".
    Originally posted by comeandgo

There was a police station in Coventry and the sign read “do not reverse park”.

Something to do with the cell block wall and carbon monoxide. The
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 9th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    Arklight
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    My wife sighs every time I reverse into a spot asking me why I bother. This is why I bother - unless I can drive into the spot from a space behind.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Ditto. She complains about having to walk round the back with the shopping.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 9th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    I'm afraid you'll take the rap for this - sorry!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Aug 18, 4:37 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    Tarambor
    No such thing as 5MPH speed limits, speed limits don't apply in car parks. You reversed into the path of another vehicle. Slam dunk at fault.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    The human eye cannot judge what speed a vehicle is travelling, yes we can tell if something is faster than walking pace but we wouldnt be able to say that a vehicle was travelling at 40mph when it should have been 30mph.

The onus is on the party reversing to ensure it is safe to do so as well as continually assessing whether it is safe to keep reversing or stop to allow a vehicle to pass.

If you have independant witnesses* ie not someone in your car or someone you know, they can confirm the direction of the other vehicle and whether yours was reversing then stopped to allow the driver to pass.

* if in Scotland the witnesses do not have to be independant and their version of events is given the same weight as an independant witness.

* if in England witnesses known to you any evidence they provide is usually dismissed by the insurance companies, but if it went to court a judge would consider it.

Follow your insurance company as they would not proceed with your claim due to the above.

Put it down to an expensive lesson.

As others have said, I also reverse into most spaces, it is easier to crank forwards to see cars approaching when driving out a parking space.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    • 33,870 Posts
    • 28,737 Thanks
    custardy
    There was a police station in Coventry and the sign read “do not reverse park”.

Something to do with the cell block wall and carbon monoxide. The
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Remember a friends parents lived in a 'posh' flats complex with many many rules.
    One being no reversing into the parking spaces as it dirtied the walls of the buildings.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    The human eye cannot judge what speed a vehicle is travelling, yes we can tell if something is faster than walking pace but we wouldnt be able to say that a vehicle was travelling at 40mph when it should have been 30mph.

The onus is on the party reversing to ensure it is safe to do so as well as continually assessing whether it is safe to keep reversing or stop to allow a vehicle to pass.

If you have independant witnesses* ie not someone in your car or someone you know, they can confirm the direction of the other vehicle and whether yours was reversing then stopped to allow the driver to pass.

* if in Scotland the witnesses do not have to be independant and their version of events is given the same weight as an independant witness.

* if in England witnesses known to you any evidence they provide is usually dismissed by the insurance companies, but if it went to court a judge would consider it.

Follow your insurance company as they would not proceed with your claim due to the above.

Put it down to an expensive lesson.

As others have said, I also reverse into most spaces, it is easier to crank forwards to see cars approaching when driving out a parking space.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    So are you claiming the human eye cannot detect a vehicle travellling in excess of a 30mph limit?
    • Emily.mcintyre
    • By Emily.mcintyre 9th Aug 18, 8:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emily.mcintyre
    I think the human eye can tell when someone is driving at 30mph instead of 5mph, especially when they get hit with that force by the vehicle.
    • Emily.mcintyre
    • By Emily.mcintyre 9th Aug 18, 8:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emily.mcintyre
    Hmm, maybe if you were the one hit by the speeding car you would think differently. I certainly didn't reverse into the vehicles path hence why two separate witnesses immediately came to me and not the car which hit me
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I think the human eye can tell when someone is driving at 30mph instead of 5mph, especially when they get hit with that force by the vehicle.
    But 5mph is only a recommendation not a limit.

Have you got any actual evidence the third party is to blame?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 10,191 Posts
    • 11,457 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I certainly didn't reverse into the vehicles path hence why two separate witnesses immediately came to me and not the car which hit me
    Of course you reversed into the vehicles path.
    You were in a parking bay and reversed out of it and the other vehicle drove into your car. If you weren't in its path, it would have missed.

and as I reversed out of the bay, checking at all times, a speeding taxi hit the left rear side of my car.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 9th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    debtdebt
    Hmm, maybe if you were the one hit by the speeding car you would think differently. I certainly didn't reverse into the vehicles path hence why two separate witnesses immediately came to me and not the car which hit me
    If you didn't reverse into the path of the taxi, why did he hit you then? Did he swerve into your parking bay and hit you?

How did you know he was speeding? If you saw him speeding towards you, why did you reverse out of your parking bay.

Liability will attach 100% to you.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 10:52 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    To clarify the human eye can tell if something is moving slow / fast / very fast but cannot say what speed something is travelling at.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Aug 18, 11:15 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Here we go...If you are certain you are completely blameless in all of this, why did you post? Would you like to only hear from people who agree with you? If so:

Your dad is right, the taxi driver is completely at fault because s/he was definitely speeding and managed to hit you even though you weren't in his/her path.

Unfortunately, you asked for people's thoughts and the overwhelming opinion is that you will be held partly - probably completely - at fault by the insurers. It doesn't matter how much you try and convince people on here, which you haven't, it's what the insurer thinks that matters. The taxi driver's insurance will simply contend that you reversed out of a parking space into the path of a taxi that had priority. You're not going to be able to overcome that I'm afraid.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

2,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin