Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Essiewoo
    • By Essiewoo 9th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Essiewoo
    Landlady wanting to take money from deposit, can I refuse viewings?
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    Landlady wanting to take money from deposit, can I refuse viewings? 9th Aug 18 at 12:09 PM
    Hi,
    We have given our landlady a months notice and didn't hear anything back from her, however our new property she tried to give us a bad reference. The house we rent has a huge garden and we struggled to keep on top of it, we did hire a gardener then bought equipment ourselves. I had a C Section in May and my baby was in and out of hospital because of her weight gain. The landlady's other half lives next door !!!128528; she came for a visit at the same time and sent a nasty email about us being in breech of contract for not mowing the lawn. Our other neighbour kindly did it for us with his ride on mower. The landlady has done two inspections and has thanked us both times about how nice the house is and doing as she asked with the garden.
    Last night she sent an email stating what she wants to recuperate from our deposit (garden needs mowing four times) we've damaged the drive way driving our car onto the drive (??)
    The estate agents said it's nothing to do with them we've got to work it out with the landlady... They have rang wanting to do viewings, the house is in no for state as we're in the middle of packing and my baby is twelve weeks old, I'm breastfeeding pretty much constantly.
    I would love some advice as I feel we're going to get screwed over. Oh, the estate agents did say she was happy for us to stay another year (but putting the rent up). We couldn't have been that bad if she wanted us to stay...
    Thanks in advance!!!
Page 2
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 22,538 Posts
    • 11,158 Thanks
    lisyloo
    She said it needs mowing four times after we leave

Upkeep after you've gone is her responsibility.

But the inventory people will surely see it's mowed once we leave?

TAKE photos as close as possible to the date you leave.

how much sway will she have?

Evidence will be taken into account e.g. photos and what you agreed to at the start (usually there is an inventory).

Is it worth getting the tarmac done or leave it as wear and tear?
    Tarmac is mega bucks.
    it should not be possible to damage it.
    Was the damage there before? When/how did it happen?
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 9th Aug 18, 2:13 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    Garden was mowed and very green (unlike after the heatwave) The drive way is stones, the tarmac is part on the public road.There are no photos regarding the drive way on the inventory.
    Originally posted by Essiewoo

If the tarmac is part of the public road, not the property you're renting, I don't know why she's trying to charge you for it at all.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 9th Aug 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Pass! The email says it needs cutting 4 times when the rain has come so she has decided on 4 x 25 for the garden. It will be mowed, we can't mow it when it is like straw...

Of course you can. Also is there a hosepipe ban in your area? You also say the tarmac has come away but your driveway is stones, the tarmac again as you say is part of the public road so nothing to do with either you or the LL. Cut the grass and claim back your full deposit directly through the deposit scheme it's in if you feel no deductions should be made.
    • Essiewoo
    • By Essiewoo 9th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Essiewoo
    Upkeep after you've gone is her responsibility.

TAKE photos as close as possible to the date you leave.

Evidence will be taken into account e.g. photos and what you agreed to at the start (usually there is an inventory).

Tarmac is mega bucks.
    it should not be possible to damage it.
    Was the damage there before? When/how did it happen?
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    We've no idea how its happened. It's a patch in the middle just a bit bigger than A4? It isn't on any photos, just the stone area.She has said the tarmac will cost 75 + VAT to replace so who has been to look at it, if it IS on the property (without our permission)...
    Last edited by Essiewoo; 09-08-2018 at 2:54 PM.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 9th Aug 18, 3:15 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 14,171 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Document everything and go via the deposit dispute scheme. It's designed for situations like this. Keep your statements calm, factual and neutral; it's not relevant to mention babies/maternity leave.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 3:18 PM
    • 4,863 Posts
    • 4,856 Thanks
    Comms69
    I don't know if this matters but we moved in on the 8th of the month but the landlady requested we pay the rent on the 5th. Which we did. (I'm just clutching at straws here to help our case) Her partner that lives next door allows his dog into the garden and do their business...
    Well you should've said no...
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 16,994 Posts
    • 41,886 Thanks
    FBaby
    You're getting in a muddle with this. You haven't moved yet, so she can't tell you what needs deducting or not from your deposit. You have until your last day and hour on the tenancy to leave the property as it was when you move spare tear and wear. Ignore any communication from her except to agree a check out inventory. Don't sign anything you don't agree. If she refused to do the inventory with you, take many pictures and make sure you hand the keys on the day your tenancy ends.

Comments about your pregnancy and breastfeeding are irrelevant. It is not her problem and doesn't have to be sympathetic to your condition. Just make sure that you leave the place as you should and then log on the deposit scheme website to claim your deposit back and take it from there.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 10th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    parkrunner
    We've no idea how its happened. It's a patch in the middle just a bit bigger than A4? It isn't on any photos, just the stone area.She has said the tarmac will cost 75 + VAT to replace so who has been to look at it, if it IS on the property (without our permission)...

This is confusing, you say your driveway is stones so why do you keep talking about tarmac?
    • Hutch100uk
    • By Hutch100uk 10th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Hutch100uk
    Am I right in thinking that when you rent a house with a garden, the landlord is supposed to provide the tools to maintain it? A previous EA told me this and I've always been given a lawnmower in any previous rentals. If this is true, did your landlord provide a lawnmower?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    • 4,863 Posts
    • 4,856 Thanks
    Comms69
    Am I right in thinking that when you rent a house with a garden, the landlord is supposed to provide the tools to maintain it? A previous EA told me this and I've always been given a lawnmower in any previous rentals. If this is true, did your landlord provide a lawnmower?
    Originally posted by Hutch100uk
    That's nonsense.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Aug 18, 3:47 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    need an answer
    Originally posted by Hutch100uk

no requirement to provide anything on the part of the LL.

Its a bonus if they do but the general rule to a tenant would be you've seen the garden,its yours to maintain during the tenancy agreement and return in accordance with inventory with allowance possibly being made for the season.

How you mow the lawn during the tenancy is your decision and no concern of the LL
    in S 38 T 62 F 59
    out S 56 T 64 F 67
    2017 -32
    • Essiewoo
    • By Essiewoo 10th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Essiewoo
    Because the road is tarmac, it's a country lane so no pavements. We park on the stones but it joins the road by tarmac. If that makes sense?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,606Posts Today

9,407Users online

Martin's Twitter