Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ok_computer
    • By ok_computer 9th Aug 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ok_computer
    Parking - Only pay in advance unfair practice?
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:40 AM
    Parking - Only pay in advance unfair practice? 9th Aug 18 at 11:40 AM
    Hello,

I've recently been caught out by one of the pay by phone parking companies, and it started me thinking if there is any way to change a system that seems to be designed to unfairly take advantage of people.

I recently parked at a doctors and used one of the pay by phone parking companies to pay for my ticket in advance. Unlike the traditional way, there is no option to pay once my time was up, I had to somehow know how long I would be there and pay for it in advance. As I was busy, my time overran, so I purchased extra time when I could, but there was no option to pay retrospectively for the 15 minutes I missed and as a result I got a fine (which I will appeal). Also a friend of mine forgot to pay for parking at another location, and despite calling to try and pay it later, they said this was not possible. It seems the system is designed to take advantage of honest mistakes by not allowing people to pay for parking a few days in the past.

I should think it's not in the parking companies interest to change this process, so is there a governing body or similar that I can contact to see if this practice is fair, or something that could be changed?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I couldn't find it anywhere else.
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 9th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 8,096 Posts
    • 10,628 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    We all understand and hopefully this will stop
    all the scamming rubbish soon

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-07-19/debates/2b90805c-bff8-4707-8bdc-b0bfae5a7ad5/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill(FirstSitting
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 29,664 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    The Deep will be along shortly to offer sage advice.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin