Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 9th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 592Posts
    • 219Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    TV aerial splitters
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    TV aerial splitters 9th Aug 18 at 11:06 AM
    The antenna is attached to the chimney. The feed comes into the loft and there's a connection to another coax which comes into the master bedroom. There's a Y-splitter which splits the feed. One coax goes into the living room downstairs, and the other to the TV in the bedroom.

The Y-splitter and connectors are flimsy. The input connection is loose and the connector easily disconnects if the Y-splitter is disturbed. The wire to the downstairs TV often disconnects completely, leaving an empty connector attached to the splitter.

I've tried replacing the connectors and the Y-splitter but it's all just flimsy.

TL;DR crappy Y-splitter and crappy coaxial connectors. Am in need of better solutions or connectors.
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 9th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    This is a bit utilitarian, but what about duct tape?
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 9th Aug 18, 11:45 AM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 2,553 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:45 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:45 AM
    get a splitter with F connectors

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105

And they sell a bag of F connectors to put on your coax ends. Easier to fit than TV connectors, and robust, all screwing together. And you can screw the splitter down if you like too.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 9th Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    This is a bit utilitarian, but what about duct tape?
    Originally posted by Grenage
    I tried that when I lived in a student house. Sometimes the wire would still disconnect even I wrapped the whole connector + 6" of coax (on each connector) in duct tape.

get a splitter with F connectors

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105

And they sell a bag of F connectors to put on your coax ends. Easier to fit than TV connectors, and robust, all screwing together. And you can screw the splitter down if you like too.
    Originally posted by Lorian

Perfect.
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 9th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    Dont forget to screw the splitter to something, and use some cable clips to support the cable. If your cable isnt long enough, then consider extending it using F type connectors....

An option, if your signal is poor (unlikley) is to add in a booster at this point, but also you could introduce a Sky Tv output signal at this point if you wanted it in all rooms to..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,923Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin