Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skoots1710
    • By Skoots1710 9th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Skoots1710
    Next Directory to default or not?
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    Next Directory to default or not? 9th Aug 18 at 10:51 AM
    Hi all

Recently with all your help on these forums I've managed to pay off 5 credit cards, 2 in full and 3 of them 50% ffs so I am now currently debt free and plan to keep it that way! - I also managed to get my defaults backdated to 2014 when they should have been at the start of my DMP.

Anyway, I have one more to tackle and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. My Next directory never defaulted me and looking at my credit file the history is a complete mess. I was on a DMP with them from January 2014 although they haven't shown that on my credit file until October 2016, before that they updated it as AR (Arrangement to pay) - One minute my credit file is showing as being on a DMP then its showing up to date then its showing overdue - I just dont get it. Basically it should just show as the DMP every month, I never missed any payments on my DMP.

I paid the account off in full in January 2017 and started to use it again for small amounts and paying it off in full every month hoping this would improve my credit score. Not sure if it would or not.

So my question is this......Would I be better to :-

1) Ask Next to add a default to my account to back to the start of 2014 the same as my credit cards and not have the option to use the account anymore. That way it will drop off my file at the same time as my other defaults. Otherwise I believe everything will show on there for 6 years from 2017 when I settled the account.

2) Keep using it but ask them to take the overdue markers away and change them to AR as they should be.

Im not sure which option would be the best for my credit rating going forward?

Many thanks
    Skoots
Page 1
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    anna_1977
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    I don't think they will backdate a default - they will say that you had an arrangement (Shop Direct have done the same with me).

Can you explain how it shows as a DMP on your file, what are the markers? Also, if paid off it should now be showing as up to date
    • Skoots1710
    • By Skoots1710 9th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Skoots1710
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    Hi

Yes it shows as AR (Arrangment to pay) from the start then 2 years in it changes to DM (Debt management programme) - this is on Noddle

On experian it shows as U (unknown) and then changes to something else, I cant remember what now.

I thought that they would backdate the default the same as the credit card companies did?

It does now show as up to date and has 6 months clear payments on it and ridiculously they increased the credit limit from about 500 to 3,500 as soon as it was paid off! No wonder people get in debt so easily.
    • Skoots1710
    • By Skoots1710 10th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Skoots1710
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    Anyone got any help or advice on this?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 14,914 Posts
    • 13,993 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    Anyone got any help or advice on this?
    Originally posted by Skoots1710
    Hi,

As a DMP is an unregulated private arrangement, nothing regarding it will appear on your credit file, sometimes a creditor will default you, especially if your payment is substantially lower than the minimum contracted payment, or they may mark your account AP, and that is what shows on your file.

It appears you had an arrangement to pay, so the account was reported on your file correctly, also you used the account again, so it would be impossible to add a default as that can only be done when the relationship between you breaks down, and clearly that never happened.

AP markers are not the end of the world, and the further back in time they are, the less effect they will have on you, you would be best advised to let sleeping dogs lie, and allow time to do its job.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Skoots1710
    • By Skoots1710 11th Aug 18, 2:45 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Skoots1710
    • 11th Aug 18, 2:45 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 2:45 PM
    [QUOTE=sourcrates;74644721]Hi,

As a DMP is an unregulated private arrangement, nothing regarding it will appear on your credit file, sometimes a creditor will default you, especially if your payment is substantially lower than the minimum contracted payment, or they may mark your account AP, and that is what shows on your file.

Ok thats cool thanks I guess now that im using it again and paying it off each month can only help going forward.

What about the part where they have changed it from AP to DM which states debt management programme, this only showed for two months then it showed that I was overdue which I wasn't as i never missed a payment through step change at all. Should I ask them to change that to AP?

Many thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,510Posts Today

6,084Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin