Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    • 61,163Posts
    • 43,725Thanks
    soolin
    interesting private seller change
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    interesting private seller change 9th Aug 18 at 10:31 AM
    As well as the important business seller changes that I urge everyone to read here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5879231

There is a change to private sellers again that I think might catch some sellers out who don't necessarily stay abreast of changes.

3. Easy pricing
    Item not sold? Select 'Easy pricing' when you list!
    After 10 days, fixed price listings will be lowered
    by 5% every 5 days. Auction!!!8209;style listings are
    lowered by 5% before the start of a new auction when auto-relist is enabled. Interested buyers are notified too.

I anticipate a number of threads with people asking why they didn't get the full value of their sold item after having re listed it a few times. So do watch out, read every thing and watch every pre filled tick box before you list.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 9th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 4,256 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    I think eBay have a different definition of easy to me!
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • BargainJunky
    • By BargainJunky 9th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    BargainJunky
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    I spotted this earlier today. I got caught out with them automatically popping click and collect on a few weeks ago so will have to keep a close eye on what I list in future.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    Just shows how little eBay know about marketing!

If for example, they believe there is demand for the product but it is simply priced higher than other similar items in the same market place, then they are simply and blatantly automating a race to the bottom.

Whereas on the other hand an item not selling on a car boot sale "any item a pound" table, moved to it's own space and marked up at 5 suddenly generate a lot of interest and finally a sale.
    Last edited by ballisticbrian; 09-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 9th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    I see it as part & parcel of eBays desperate scramble to generate revenue.
    I'll try to get the best price I can (ie what the market will bare) if I cannot get that then I will reduce when I feel needed.

I have found in the past that upping the price sometimes works and I also have found that listing a collectable at a higher price than the 3 or 4 copies also available works. (either the cheaper sellers items sell first or their listings are not even visable to my buyer)

As Soolin says "check the boxes" I myself, wouldn't trust eBay with the steam from my dogs brown stuff.

On a slightly different note the emails on my personal account that suggest I relist an item with their idea of a reduction annoy me beyond belief....
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 9th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 7,671 Posts
    • 6,418 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    Ebay interference because they don't want to host overpriced items. I would prefer them to stop automatically re listing unsold items.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • This Year
    • By This Year 9th Aug 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 5,303 Thanks
    This Year
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:07 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:07 PM
    Thanks for that, Soolin. I didn't see that update, so appreciate you giving the heads up.
    • Ineedaservant
    • By Ineedaservant 10th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Ineedaservant
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    I have found that UPPING the price of my BIN and using my original price as best offer lowest price quite often works.

I have also found that altering the descriptions slightly can generate a sale on 'stuck' items eg red to scarlet.

As I do not mind to keep relisting my items, some of them sit for months until sold but I never use auto relist, as I like to check all boxes are as I want them.
    I will not be happy until all the money is mine
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 61,163 Posts
    • 43,725 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    I have found that UPPING the price of my BIN and using my original price as best offer lowest price quite often works.

I have also found that altering the descriptions slightly can generate a sale on 'stuck' items eg red to scarlet.

As I do not mind to keep relisting my items, some of them sit for months until sold but I never use auto relist, as I like to check all boxes are as I want them.
    Originally posted by Ineedaservant
    The issue with not allowing auto relist is that so many private sellers want to use the 100 free listing a day offer, and for many sellers (it hasn't been fully rolled out yet though) one of the requirements is that auto relist is ticked.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,501Posts Today

10,118Users online

Martin's Twitter