Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumonashoestring
    • By mumonashoestring 9th Aug 18, 10:27 AM
    • 214Posts
    • 964Thanks
    mumonashoestring
    Barclays account not closed?
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:27 AM
    Barclays account not closed? 9th Aug 18 at 10:27 AM
    About 8 years ago I finally got fed up with Barclays and switched to Halifax - I instructed Barclays in-branch to close my account and as far as I was aware, everything (DDs etc) had switched over to my new Halifax account. I've heard nothing from Barclays since, and have moved house, but today received a letter from them saying that they had realised they hadn't been as helpful as they could towards those who were in debt in the past and had applied a 140 credit 'against my outstanding debt'. I have no idea how best to go about contacting them to find out what the heck they're on about without accidentally acknowledging or accepting any debt; any ideas gratefully received!
    If you lend someone 20 and never see them again, it was probably 20 well spent...
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    • 17,959 Posts
    • 19,146 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    It doesn't sounds as if you need to. If you've not acknowledged any debt in the last 6 years, it is statute barred, so makes no difference.

Equally, there would be no risk in asking them.

You could check your credit files for further reassurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

366Posts Today

4,316Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin