Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gillyo66
    • By gillyo66 9th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gillyo66
    Link Financial Outsourcing
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    Link Financial Outsourcing 9th Aug 18 at 10:26 AM
    Hi all, I am looking for some advice if thats ok?
    My son leased a car from Ford Credit which went well for the first 18 months and then he lost his job and fell into arrears. He paid the arrears off when he could and there was 300.00 of arrears left which he went to pay, when he called Ford they told him they couldn't accept the money as the debt had been sold. He received no letter or correspondance about this until Friday last week when Link Financial Outsourcing called him and told him he would either have to pay the whole sum immediately or the best they could offer was a 12 month payment plan of 700.00 per month. He does have a new job but could not afford that each month which he explained but they said if that was the case he would have to sign the car over to them to be sold at auction. He works all over the country so he needs the car. Any suggestions on what can he do please?
Page 1
    • Austin0710
    • By Austin0710 9th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Austin0710
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    Check what the credit agreement says. Not 100% sure but normally, if over 50% has been repaid, then they cannot take the car back without a court order. It all depends on how much has been repaid.
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 9th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Suseka97
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    I can't advise about car lease plans and what Link can or cannot do - so definitely worth getting the paperwork checked out. But don't take anything Link say on face value and keep everything in writing.

Worth googling complaints made about Link - here's one worth a read :
    http://www.link-financial-ltd.dpcregistry.co.uk/

I have dealings with a couple of DCA (debt collectors) and Link are by far the most shambolic crew I've come across!
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / 85k+ owed / 11k outstanding (3 x UE / 3 x outstanding) DMP on hold
    • PaulW922
    • By PaulW922 9th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    PaulW922
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    Is it definitely a lease and not an HP purchase?
  • National Debtline
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    Hi gillyo66

It sounds like this could be a hire purchase (HP) agreement if your son has been asked to sign over the car so it can be sold at auction. Ask your son to check what type of agreement he has as it makes a big difference to his rights and options.

Once you know more you can come back to us, or seek free advice from one of the debt advice charities.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • gillyo66
    • By gillyo66 10th Aug 18, 12:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gillyo66
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:05 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 12:05 PM
    I checked with him and ihe thinks it is HP
    Last edited by gillyo66; 10-08-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: wrong information
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,943Posts Today

6,641Users online

Martin's Twitter