Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 9th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 305Posts
    • 34Thanks
    whambam
    Notifying Doctor of condition
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    Notifying Doctor of condition 9th Aug 18 at 10:24 AM
    If you have had mental illness in the past are you required by law to update your condition currently to your doctor?

Is it best to update your condition with your doctor in case any authority contacts the doctor for information on your condition?

Are doctors required by law to inform patients that the authority is contacting them for information do you consent?
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 8,939 Posts
    • 10,355 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    No.

Which authority? If you mean DWP in respect of a health-related benefit claim, then if your doctor doesn't know about your condition he/she can't provide details to DWP. If DWP don't receive evidence of your condition they will probably reject your claim.

No. If you apply for DWP health-related benefits and put your GP details on the form you are authorising DWP to contact your doctor and him/her to reply.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • whambam
    • By whambam 9th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    whambam
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    not just dwp, say council, police, court, nhs, housing association, landlord, home office, mi5.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 9th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 17,304 Posts
    • 45,580 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    not just dwp, say council, police, court, nhs, housing association, landlord, home office, mi5.
    Originally posted by whambam
    Mi5? I doubt Mi5 would need to know. Do you ever get feelings of paranoia? I;ve had it before when i as convinced OAPs were goverment spies and i believed the dwp were putting cameras everywhere to follow me If you are thats maybe something to mention to your gp.

You're not required to by law or anything but personally i think its best to inform your GP as many mental illness can be treated quite well, which could lead to it improving your life, plus if you do end up needing medical evidence your GP is usually the first point of call
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 17,722 Posts
    • 31,338 Thanks
    Ames
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    Presumably your GP has your notes and so has access to the information anyway.

I agree with Messed Up about the possibility of paranoia. I've had similar episodes to the ones she mentioned, except it was my neighbours not OAPs.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Aug 18, 10:56 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    venison
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:56 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:56 PM
    If you are claiming benefits lets say ESA then the DWP wouldn't usually contact a GP anyway, they would expect you to provide consultants letters etc, or perhaps a friendly OAP would be contacted.
    (sorry couldn't resist that one)
    Looking forward to 2019 after a terrible 2018...onwards and upwards
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Aug 18, 12:36 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    whambam
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:36 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:36 AM
    Mi5? I doubt Mi5 would need to know. Do you ever get feelings of paranoia? I;ve had it before when i as convinced OAPs were goverment spies and i believed the dwp were putting cameras everywhere to follow me If you are thats maybe something to mention to your gp.

You're not required to by law or anything but personally i think its best to inform your GP as many mental illness can be treated quite well, which could lead to it improving your life, plus if you do end up needing medical evidence your GP is usually the first point of call
    Originally posted by xXMessedUpXx
    People should take a balanced and fair view on paranoia its found to have some truth in it. We humans are very judgemental and box information in cubes and store them away then they call themselves open minded, however in practise its just a cover to please the masses.

We do live in a fear based control world were the ordinary citizens used to have the power to seize a king or queens control now being locked up because it wasn't the story but he/she confirmed the date and time they were at a location! So whatever story someone makes up authorities take sides based on hearsay, which is illegal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,153Posts Today

8,695Users online

Martin's Twitter