Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • piglet555
    • By piglet555 9th Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    piglet555
    plusnet wont delete my personal information
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    plusnet wont delete my personal information 9th Aug 18 at 10:21 AM
    hi,
    i was with plusnet for broadband which ended approx 18 months ago.
    however i recently signed into there website account and i see all my details are still there.
    There was no way to delete this account or my details.
    So i spent ages on the phone to customer support who told me they had no way of deleting my account and information !!!
    i expressed my amusement that a technology company didn't know how to delete an account and said i thought under GDPR they had to do so on request..
    despite the advisor checking with others she insisted they had no possible way to delete my details. so no joy there.

I wonder if someone, who is more legally minded and familiar with the gdpr, could suggest what my options, if any are.
    many thanks sp
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 4,473 Posts
    • 10,202 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    The right to erasure in GDPR is not universal and not immediate. For example, if the data is being held to comply with a lawful requirement, then you do not have a right to have it erased.

How long do companies legally have to keep accounting records for, for example?

If there is no lawful basis for them continuing to hold the information then they normally have one month to comply with a request for erasure.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    Send a registered letter to:

Plusnet plc
    The Balance
    2 Pinfold Street
    Sheffield
    S1 2GU

Explain that you wish to implement your "Right to be Forgotten" under Article 17 of the GDPR.

Note that they do have the right to refuse dependant on circumstance, for instance if you owe them money still.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/
    • Saeed
    • By Saeed 9th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Saeed
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    The British regime now requires all ISPs to log ALL the websites we visit and keep this data, it's getting as bad a China, so they do not have to remove your data. Even if they did remove you "account", they still have all your data on their servers if MI6/GCHQ need it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

3,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin