Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Laura2510
    • By Laura2510 9th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Laura2510
    Maintenance Company useless replacing window - what should we do?
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    Maintenance Company useless replacing window - what should we do? 9th Aug 18 at 10:11 AM
    Hi folks

Long story short, we live in rented accommodation in a newly converted warehouse building. We have a private landlord, but there is also a maintenance company who look after the building - the maintenance company also own the building.

Recently a window pane broke in our flat (inner pane of double glazing) and this has now been agreed was due to a fault in the glass (agreed by the maintenance company who have said they will replace it).

The maintenance company have been so slow to do anything, and our new window has not yet materialised. The window broke on 22nd May, was finally inspected by the maintenance co on 5th July(!) and they said they would order a new window, 2-3 weeks to manufacture and then they would fit it.

Now 9th August, we've chased them twice for an estimate on when the window would be fixed, and we've been ignored each time.

How should I escalate this? I've already written to the MD of the company (no response, but they did come and inspect the window the next week). I'm fed up, the broken window is a eyesore and I just want it fixed!
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 9th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    You have no contract with the maintenance company, they shouldn't be telling you anything.

You need to put pressure on your landlord (who does have a contract with them) who then needs to put pressure on them.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 9th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 7,253 Posts
    • 7,207 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    As slithery says, you should be chasing your landlord (who will be the leaseholder) - and your landlord should be chasing the managment co.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of 'discussions' (disputes) going on about who should pay for the glass. It's unlikely to be the management company that pays.
    • If the glass was faulty, and it's a new conversion, the builder might have provided a 2 year warranty. (So the builder pays.)
    • But the builder might have a warranty from the glass manufacturer.(So the manufacturer pays.)
    • But if there is no building warranty, leaseholders are usually responsible for glazing. (So your landlord pays.)

If the builder or manufacturer were paying, I guess they'd want to send somebody to inspect. So I wonder if it's down to your landlord - and it's your landlords arguments that are causing the delay.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Aug 18, 4:54 AM
    • 46,179 Posts
    • 55,899 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:54 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:54 AM
    As above, your landlord is responsible to you for this. Pursue your landlord.

Whether he fixes it himself or pursues the 'Maintenance Company' is up to him, not you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

792Posts Today

5,323Users online

Martin's Twitter