Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thrifty_pete
    • By thrifty_pete 9th Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    • 254Posts
    • 52Thanks
    thrifty_pete
    Worth claiming for accidental damage?
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    Worth claiming for accidental damage? 9th Aug 18 at 10:07 AM
    My sister's kids knocked over her TV and the screen cracked - there are now large areas of white and green so you can't use it any more. Luckily she has accidental damage cover on electricals. She bought it in April 2014 for 470 but it was in perfect condition before the accident. Presumably an insurer would struggle to replace the screen economically? Is she likely to end up with a refurbished second hand TV? A new equivalent model would be 450 but doesn't have 3D, which is frustrating as she bought quite a few 3D films.
    She has only had the policy 3 months, the premium was only 120 - will the premium go up substantially? She has a 100 excess I think. Is it worth claming for basically a 350 net loss?
    She wouldn't realistically be able to switch insurers for 5 years, even if she didn't take out accidental cover on the new policy? I mean the question "have you had any claims in the last 5 years" would be applicable even though the loss would have been under a section you might not be buying again?
    Thanks in advance for your advice, I haven't made a claim myself for over 10 years and that was a theft of a bicycle so it was fairly straight forward, I don't think my premium went up at all, although after excess it was only about 150 I received from the insurer.
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 9th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    You or your sister can do dummy quotes (not using your/her true info) to see the effect of a A/D claim on record.

Yes the claim will need declaring even if A/D is no longer selected on future policies. Length of time or declare will depend on insurer, some ask for claims or losses in 3 years, others 5 years.

Most HH policies are new for old on contents so she can expect to get a new replacement comparable tv with the same functionalities as long as it is still for sale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

646Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter