Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 9th Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    • 3,430Posts
    • 6,120Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Has anyone re invented their life?
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    Has anyone re invented their life? 9th Aug 18 at 10:05 AM
    Just looking for motivating stories and hear life experiences whether it be through lifestyle, relationships or drastic career changes.

I know there is this saying you shouldn't change who you are, but I see it as growing into someone you can be.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
Page 2
    • ttoli
    • By ttoli 12th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    ttoli
    After years in the Travel Industry(Low pay but opportunity to travel at least once a month), I found a safe solid career with good prospects, 3 years on I found myself in a rut . Visiting North Cyprus for the first time,I pictured myself living there, 6 months later , I quit my job , sold up and moved here, huge change of lifestyle/ Gone are the flash cars, shopping splurges etc but I am content and somewhat Ironically I am back in the Travel Industry(pay is still crap , but the commute is to die for )
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 12th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 6,825 Thanks
    ska lover
    Loving this thread - what a great unique thread going here
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • geeovana
    • By geeovana 13th Aug 18, 12:05 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    geeovana
    invent yourself and then reinvent yourself,
    donít swim in the same slough.
    invent yourself and then reinvent yourself
    and
    stay out of the clutches of mediocrity.

invent yourself and then reinvent yourself,
    change your tone and shape so often that they can
    never
    categorize you.

reinvigorate yourself and
    accept what is
    but only on the terms that you have invented
    and reinvented.

be self-taught.

and reinvent your life because you must;
    it is your life and
    its history
    and the present
    belong only to
    you.

- Charles Bukowski.
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 13th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    Really interesting thread. When I turned 30 I was mid experiencing my third mental health crisis. It was the first one that had impacted on my ability to work as a Social Worker. By my 30th I had chosen to disclose at work and negotiated part time hours. This was massive for me as my work has always been a central part of my identity. Unfortunately the new job role wasn't for me and so I applied for weekend work in horticulture. My plan was to long distance study a course and side step to a new career. Long story short I was offered a full time position and took a big pay cut and massive risk to career change.

It has been fantastic. The fates aligned and I was quickly offered a Supervisor role after three months, Manager after 9 months and now a year or so in I am being trained slowly for upper Management. Even without this progression the job change has been life changing. Fitness wise I am up and moving, no night shifts or emotional stress has greatly aided my mental health, and the challenge of college and retraining has been interesting and motivating.

I occasionally miss my past work and I have no clear direction for my new career, but I honestly feel that making that leap has saved my life. I enjoy each day now.

This year my big change has been altering my finances and improving my diet. I'm trying to improve my fitness too, but I think I may need to find a way to switch lifestyle with a big impact. I've seen the benefit of a big change with my career, so I'm not afraid to make another change
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.

2018: 2.1k personal savings --- Family Loan (3.5k paid direct + 2.5k in saver + 238.05 saver 2) 6238.09/10K paid 62.3%
    #38 1% Challenge take 1: £676.15! 1% Challenge take 2: £76.58/1838.56, now at 4.1%!
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Wise words.

It becomes easier as you grow in confidence.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    The confidence thing is my major issue! Baby steps I guess
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    NeilCr
    The confidence thing is my major issue! Baby steps I guess
    Originally posted by SSDD23

I know. Confidence (or lack of) is a real so and so.

What I would say is that there are not that many really confident people around. A lot of us put on a show and look confident - but under that mask there is insecurity going on. People say to me that I am very confident but I'm not. I'm better but a lot of it is bravado and making a bit of noise!

Baby steps is right.

Good luck
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 14th Aug 18, 11:13 PM
    • 15,230 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I was wondering this, I have changed my attitudes to things - like money and work. Ten years ago I was grief stricken, in debt and terrified. I did get out of debt (twice technically since then) and have a much better attitude to work. I own less (Tho that is a work in progress)

By my life doesn't change. There are things I need to do before I can move on.

Really interesting thread. thanks.
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • *max*
    • By *max* 14th Aug 18, 11:26 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 13,406 Thanks
    *max*
    All those stories are wonderful and really inspiring. I'm going through a very tough time, having to move countries very soon to be near parents who have heavy, long-term health issues, and this has given me hope that I'm not throwing my life away. Thank you.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 15th Aug 18, 8:27 AM
    • 7,839 Posts
    • 17,161 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    All those stories are wonderful and really inspiring. I'm going through a very tough time, having to move countries very soon to be near parents who have heavy, long-term health issues, and this has given me hope that I'm not throwing my life away. Thank you.
    Originally posted by *max*

You won't be throwing your life away, although there will be times when you think that you are. Instead, you will be able to embrace a new life, which will be hard at times, but if you try to see it from a positive viewpoint, it will help you to adjust.

For example, there are many people who don't see their parents often, or who don't sort out their differences, and then regret it once their parents have passed away. You have the opportunity to spend time with your mum and dad, and it will drive you round the bend at times, but at least you will still be seeing them.

It's easier said than done, but remember to take care of yourself as well. Try to have some time to do things for you each day. I enjoy treating myself to a breakfast (alone) once a week - it's quieter than lunchtime, and it's just me and my Kindle . Sometimes it takes something major to help you appreciate the smaller things in life.

Good luck with your move x
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 15th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 13,830 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Another take on the issue: one of my oldest school friends took the chance at university to reinvent herself and ended up totally cutting herself off from her former life. Basically in her first term she went mad with booze and boys and got a bit of a reputation and into debt. Her parents then moved away, and she made a clear decision to break contact with her home town as nobody has heard from her since. She was obviously unhappy in herself as a teenager and doesn't want any reminders of her early life. I respect her decision but it would be nice to hear that she's ok.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 15th Aug 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2,513 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    Stoke
    I was forced to change at the end of last year when my fiancee and I suddenly broke up. I had to reinvent myself a little bit, although I've not necessarily changed my job, I've changed who I am and who I am trying to be.
    • Eagles1905
    • By Eagles1905 16th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Eagles1905
    After a pretty awful two years things finally seem to be heading in the right direction, debt is cut in half, savings are on the up and i've gone out of my comfort zone to see what I can push myself to achieve, so much so I am competing in front of 1500 people in a few weeks time for the first time ever!

I won't lie, still have dark days but with the support of family and friends I am getting there.

Next stop is a new career and a new home, the future is bright.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 16th Aug 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Ive gone down a different path than I thought I would when I was 18, stressed after a-levels as all I'd dreamed about was becoming a teacher. Did my degree but broke my ankle first day of final placement. Swapped schools for the term I could do it then failed, this was over 8 years ago.

Did a bit of bibbing and bobbing, manufacturing, office work then got a job as a support worker. Was there for over 4 years then went to Oz and NZ for nearly 3 months travelling. Then stayed off work living off savings and didn't return back to work for several months. Ended up back at my original job but somewhere else, so gives a bit of variety.

I'll probably end up looking for something else mid next year as we'll be over staffed after folk come back from maternity etc.

Same with home too. Was going to live in my uni town but moved back home (it's cheaper to live here to be fair), built a life up I enjoy.

I'm another that if you aren't happy do change. I don't think I would have stuck it as a teacher. Loved teaching but I prefer my free time much much more and by the time pensions and student loans kick in there probably not that much better off but a lot higher workload
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd sw 14 st 12lbs Fri15/6/18 -> 0 weeks -0lbs
    2) to find new challenges
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,810Posts Today

8,098Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin