Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mmmmchocolate
    • By mmmmchocolate 9th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 74Posts
    • 69Thanks
    mmmmchocolate
    Etsy - not as described!
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    Etsy - not as described! 9th Aug 18 at 10:00 AM
    Does anyone know how the not as described process on Esty works?

I've contacted the seller who has offered to refund the item cost only on return - leaving me out of pocket for initial postage and returns postage. I know that's not right, and I'd be confident dealing with it on ebay as I'm familiar with their processes - but will Etsy force the seller to pay for the return and refund the original postage?

I haven't responded to the seller yet and I can't open a case for another couple of days -so just wondering if anyone knows how this might play out?
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    • 60,709 Posts
    • 43,320 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    I am not familiar with the etsy policies, do they not have a FAQ or info about returns?

However, regardless of their policies , within the UK you are entitled legally to return the item at sellers cost and get a full refund of the original monies paid. I can't see etsy going against UK legal requirements.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mmmmchocolate
    • By mmmmchocolate 9th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mmmmchocolate
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    There's lots about how to raise a case and under what circumstances you can raise a case, but very little about what happens when you do - so thought it was worth asking on here! I know the legal position, I'm just not sure how Etsy might enforce it - particularly the "return at sellers cost" part - I suspect they don't force the seller to provide a prepaid label like Ebay do
    • martindow
    • By martindow 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 4,391 Thanks
    martindow
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    This page deals with refunds but does not specifically mention faulty items

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115015440807-Refunds-Returns-and-Exchanges-for-Buyers

How did you pay? Paypal and credit card companies have procedures for dealing with disputes and forcing refunds even if Etsy washes their hands of problems.
    • mmmmchocolate
    • By mmmmchocolate 9th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mmmmchocolate
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    Paid with paypal I'm not too worried about the refund part - I'm sure that'll be sorted out through Etsy / paypal. It's getting the seller to pay return postage - it's not going to cost a fortune to post, but it's the principle. If the item had been described correctly, I wouldn't have bought it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,923Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin