Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • travelhoppers
    • By travelhoppers 9th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    travelhoppers
    Maternity - Husband adding me on to his business to do his Accounts
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    Maternity - Husband adding me on to his business to do his Accounts 9th Aug 18 at 9:59 AM
    Hello,

I am going on Maternity in a month. I will be getting 6 weeks full pay and then 33 weeks SMP pay. So roughly about 7K that year.

My husband thought that I could do his accounts for the year as he is self-employed and he would pay me 200 a month and this would also reduce his tax for the year.
    Is he able to do this or will it affect my SMP?

Thank you.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 5,971 Posts
    • 6,248 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    Yes it would, but also your current employer might not like it.

I cant imagine that 2400 will have that much of an impact on tax.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 24th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 5,393 Posts
    • 7,552 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 24th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 24th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    According to this link working for a different employer wouldn't affect the smp being paid by your current employer. However as you are still an employee you need to check whether working on a self employed basis in addition to your current job is allowed by your employer.

https://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/what-work-can-you-do-during-maternity-adoption-parental-leave/
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 24th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 6,380 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 24th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 24th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    This is from that link you posted

If you work for an employer for whom you did not work in the 15th week before the week the baby was due then it will stop SMP/SAP/ShPP from any employer who is paying it.

That to me says it will stop SMP (you can work for a different employer you ALREADY worked for pre-maternity leave or self employment)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,855Posts Today

8,083Users online

Martin's Twitter