Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    • 64,540Posts
    • 379,002Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Wood effect Threshold Strips Scuffed - Repair Tape Required!
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    Wood effect Threshold Strips Scuffed - Repair Tape Required! 9th Aug 18 at 9:36 AM
    I have three door/flooring internal threshold strips, one is laminate-to-laminate, two are laminate-to-tile. They're a little scuffed and loose - but if I just reaffix them they'll still be scuffed.

What I'd like is a "roll of tape" to re-cover them before I stick them down.

To buy new would mean a huge learning curve in getting the right ones .... and then faffing about (badly and annoyed) to cut them to exactly the right size with god knows what tools (that I've probably not got). Each would one also appear to cost about 9-11 apiece.

So ... a nice roll of laminate look sticky back plastic would solve all the major "useless at getting the right items" and "really poor at DIY" issues and just get a quick/cheap solution sorted.

What would this magical product be called and which national DIY sheds would sell it.

Why wouldn't I just buy new and do it properly? Because I lack the skills to guarantee to buy the right thing - and I'm not a confident DIYer and would probably do the wrong thing, with the wrong stuff ... and end up with a very expensive pigs ear - or, get "ripped off" hiring in a "little man that knows this stuff" and ending up with a monster bill for something small/insignificant.

Cheers
Page 1
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    Fablon? Probably wouldn't last that long without getting scuffed again but you can peel it off and replace as required. Sticky backed plastic basically.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 64,540 Posts
    • 379,002 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    Fablon? Probably wouldn't last that long without getting scuffed again but you can peel it off and replace as required. Sticky backed plastic basically.
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30
    Magical .... why didn't I think of fablon! Doh. I'll go and peruse their patterns/styles/suppliers and availability.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    Have a look in the pound shop type places, I picked some up from poundland earlier this year.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 64,540 Posts
    • 379,002 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    Have a look in the pound shop type places, I picked some up from poundland earlier this year.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    That'd suit madam's preferred budgetary ideals.
    Now you mention it, I've seen some in there in the past - it caught my eye as I was thinking of using it on the bath panel ... but I've got a particular design in mind for that, so it was just a 3 second look/dismiss at the time.
    All I need is three strips about 85mm long and 20-30mm (not measured yet) wide.... fablon's about 10/roll. 1 and "it'll do" would suit me.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 9th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 3,386 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    The other brand is DC Fix. Pound stores or Wilkinsons sell it. DIY stores are dearer.

When I had the same problem in my last house I ended up taking off the scuffed paper-thin wood effect and this left them plain cream, which was a perfect solution as they joined laminate to cream tiles
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 9th Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    try an ebay search for self adhesive vinyl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,323Posts Today

9,408Users online

Martin's Twitter