Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 3,169Posts
    • 2,092Thanks
    Robin9
    Smart Meter Communications Fault - Who Pays?
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    Smart Meter Communications Fault - Who Pays? 9th Aug 18 at 8:17 AM
    I have a Smart Gas Meter fitted 4 years ago for a commercial premises. The communications is powered by a self contained battey pack and is independent of the electric meter elsewhere on the site - usually the domestic gas meter takes its power from the electric.

Originally installed by Gazprom, I switched to Total Gas and Power and the installation remained Smart. Last year the communications failed and the meter operative put it in the "too difficult" basis.

I've been putting in consumer reads every month - Totalgp have a known system fault which means these aren't recognized. I am in dispute with them over this and SMS are to return to take signal tests. As a gesture Totalgp say they are going to waive the usual cost for this and that they will then quote me to restore the communications ( if possible)

I've done nothing to change the installation -why should they charge me ? Is not the communications set up an on going maintenance cost for the supplier ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    I have a Smart Gas Meter fitted 4 years ago for a commercial premises.
    Originally posted by Robin9

I really doubt it. Not even getting them these days on the gas side. You probably mean AMR. Anyway potato potato.

I've been putting in consumer reads every month - Totalgp have a known system fault which means these aren't recognized. I am in dispute with them over this and SMS are to return to take signal tests. As a gesture Totalgp say they are going to waive the usual cost for this and that they will then quote me to restore the communications ( if possible)

I've done nothing to change the installation -why should they charge me ? Is not the communications set up an on going maintenance cost for the supplier ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    "Customer" reads you mean. Anyhow... you are on a commercial contract so you agreed to whatever you agreed to. Though the decent commeccial suppliers would change it to one of their meters as soon as you signed up to a contract (likely 5 years for commercial).
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    AMR means Smart in my language - it serves the same purpose - it records usage and sends the info back at the end of the month.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,857Posts Today

9,231Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin