Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MichaelWarble
    • By MichaelWarble 9th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MichaelWarble
    Goodlord - exploitative tenancy process website
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    Goodlord - exploitative tenancy process website 9th Aug 18 at 7:41 AM
    Has anyone come across the Goodlord.co tenancy website.

I wanted to apply to rent a property through an agent and they sent me a link to this website asking me to set up an account with them. I clicked on the link and was basically told that before I could set up an account I had to pay over 200. Now, under normal circumstances, this would be an obvious scam alert.

After a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that goodlord was probably a genuine company. However, I thought their practice was certainly exploitative.

In my mind, requiring someone to pay 200 just to sign up is ludicrous. This is before you see any of the forms that you need to fill in - the mountain of questions you need to complete to take up a tenancy.

In the past you would have collected these forms from the agent, filled them in and returned them to the agent with the required fees.

Goodlord is the equivalent of the agent requiring you to give them the fees before they give you the forms.

This seems to me to be clearly exploitative. I'm just flabbergasted. Is this just me?
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 9th Aug 18, 7:55 AM
    • 13,144 Posts
    • 18,916 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:55 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:55 AM
    Has anyone come across the Goodlord.co tenancy website.

I wanted to apply to rent a property through an agent and they sent me a link to this website asking me to set up an account with them. I clicked on the link and was basically told that before I could set up an account I had to pay over 200. Now, under normal circumstances, this would be an obvious scam alert.

After a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that goodlord was probably a genuine company. However, I thought their practice was certainly exploitative.

In my mind, requiring someone to pay 200 just to sign up is ludicrous. This is before you see any of the forms that you need to fill in - the mountain of questions you need to complete to take up a tenancy.

In the past you would have collected these forms from the agent, filled them in and returned them to the agent with the required fees.

Goodlord is the equivalent of the agent requiring you to give them the fees before they give you the forms.

This seems to me to be clearly exploitative. I'm just flabbergasted. Is this just me?
    Originally posted by MichaelWarble
    I suppose it depends what the 200 is for. If it's 200 for referencing then I don't think it's any more exploitative than any other letting agency in England or Wales.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,833Posts Today

7,774Users online

Martin's Twitter