Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sambashoes
    • By Sambashoes 9th Aug 18, 7:11 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Sambashoes
    Thinking of getting a lodger
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:11 AM
    Thinking of getting a lodger 9th Aug 18 at 7:11 AM
    I'm considering getting a lodger for my spare bedroom. Having been a lodger myself a couple of times I'm very aware that it doesn't always go well. does anyone have any advice on attracting the right kind of lodger (i.e. reliable, trustworthy, respectful). I'm a single woman so my safety is also a priority.
    Has anyone out there done this and it's worked out well? Any tips?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 9th Aug 18, 8:14 AM
    • 7,073 Posts
    • 6,773 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:14 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:14 AM
    Has anyone out there done this .... Any tips?
    Originally posted by Sambashoes
    yes, lots of people,
    use the search function,
    experiences have been shared countless times on here
    • Sambashoes
    • By Sambashoes 9th Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Sambashoes
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    Er, why the cocky reply? I've read way too many unnecessarily rude / arrogant replies on MSE forums, getting tired of it. I expect to leave a post without attracting arrogant answers. I didn't search as I was inbetween tasks and thought it was worth a bash.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 9th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    I didn't find that reply cocky. He signposted you to where you could get answers to your question. It's no different to providing a link to, say, a Shelter article if someone has a housing question.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 9th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 15,126 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    Er, why the cocky reply? I've read way too many unnecessarily rude / arrogant replies on MSE forums, getting tired of it. I expect to leave a post without attracting arrogant answers. I didn't search as I was inbetween tasks and thought it was worth a bash.
    Maybe 00ec25 was also between tasks and thought it was 'worth a bash' suggesting you use the search function instead of have people type up their comments again?

I just searched this board for 'tips on getting a lodger' which returned 17 threads other than this one, in 1.86 seconds. No doubt there are other threads from using different keyword combinations or by not restricting yourself to this board alone.

Yes I know, you find this comment unnecessarily rude, cocky and arrogant.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 9th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    does anyone have any advice on attracting the right kind of lodger (i.e. reliable, trustworthy, respectful). I'm a single woman so my safety is also a priority.
    Both my Sis and myself have used spareroom.com to find lodgers - Her first one turned out to be a chronic alcoholic with associated "issues". The next two have both been Mon-Fri on short term placements with local companies. All three have been females.

For my part, I got a couple who claimed to be in a stable, long term relationship. Stable is a long way off the mark... But things have settled down, and he is very quiet (she is currently elsewhere).

My advice - State in your advert "female preferred", go for short term lets initially (a mature student depending on your area), and/or Mon-Fri. Don't use craiglist or gumtree - The former seems to attract the really weird, and the latter get the remaining oddballs.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 9th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    My advice - State in your advert "female preferred", go for short term lets initially (a mature student depending on your area), and/or Mon-Fri. Don't use craiglist or gumtree - The former seems to attract the really weird, and the latter get the remaining oddballs.
    Originally posted by FreeBear

There are other lodger websites. I have just had the one positive experience. I would like to do it again when my circumstances allow.
    Make sure you get the lodge you want, wait until you get a few responses. I am male, and I got a female lodger; it can work for some people.

https://blog.easyroommate.com/taking-in-a-lodger-better-read-our-top-tips/

• Tigger looks bigger
    • By Tigger looks bigger 9th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Tigger looks bigger
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    I've had a few different lodgers in my house over the last few years. Like freebear I have used spareroom to find them. I always meet the lodgers in person, this can be done at the same time as showing them the room/house. I can generally get a good feel for them this way and if a couple can judge whether I'm happy with them living here.

I get a reference from their employer or if a student from a tutor. I follow them up and only contact through the work phone number google provides. I caught someone out doing this as the number they supplied wasn't for their boss (old boss after a firing) and was, I suspect, for a mate that would fib for them.

I always take a deposit, I've never actually made any deductions but I think the act of taking the deposit screens people who might be more likely to cause a problem.

Don't let anyone move in who you feel dodgy about!!!

There's plenty of guides and info available on here and online about how to go about it. I've generally found it a positive experience (the extra money doesn't go amiss either !
    • FabFifty
    • By FabFifty 9th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    FabFifty
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    I would suggest getting a Monday to Friday lodger, or a Mature Student lodger. My two Monday-Friday lodgers were on local short-term contracts and I only actually saw them Monday to Thursday evenings.
    • sitesafe
    • By sitesafe 9th Aug 18, 5:30 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    sitesafe
    I would suggest getting a Monday to Friday lodger, or a Mature Student lodger. My two Monday-Friday lodgers were on local short-term contracts and I only actually saw them Monday to Thursday evenings.
    Originally posted by FabFifty
    This is a great idea but depends on location - down in Devon I struggled to find M to F lodgers as it's not known as a place people commute to and return home at weekend. But if you're somewhere with good links to say London where wages are better then it's a great option as you still get your weekend privacy
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Aug 18, 4:59 AM
    • 45,521 Posts
    • 54,666 Thanks
    G_M
    * Lodgers: advice & links for landlords & lodgers
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Aug 18, 8:04 AM
    • 33,246 Posts
    • 20,074 Thanks
    getmore4less
    When I was looking for short term, 6 weeks initially, for a job placement in a UNI town there were loads of rooms, part shares, full houses/flats on the lists.

My wanted add(on spareroom) was a lot more productive than me trying places offered.

Those that responded to my adds were fairly good fit with the landlord and property, but the locations were wrong for my job(transport) and planned social habits(near the centre).

In the end I found somewhere through AirBnB.
    • shinypenny
    • By shinypenny 13th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    shinypenny
    We are on our third lodger:
    The first was a performer at the Edinburgh Festival who claimed he'd be out all the time (he wasn't!); he broke our microwave and blocked our loo countless time (related to his microwave meals I think!). He was only with us a month so survived!
    The second was an overseas medical student on a placement at the local hospital. He was great - very quiet, very studious - although I don't believe he washed his bed sheets in the 8 weeks he was with us.
    Our current lodger is a Consultant at a local hospital who stays with us two or three nights a week. It's working out great so far.

As others, we've used spareroom but I've also advertised with the local Uni and hospitals.

Do you want someone short term or long term?
    Do you want someone Mon-Fri or 7-days?
    Do you want to make a 'friend' or have separate lives?
    Do you have a separate bathroom or are you really happy to share?
    Are bills included? If so, who controls the thermostat?

If you make your expectations clear in your advert you should find someone who's a good match.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 4,863 Thanks
    Comms69
    Not sure why people are suggesting 'female preferred', I'd have thought a male Mon-Fri lodger would be equally good.

Many would actually only be there 4 nights, most would be just looking for a place to rest their hat.

Not saying women don't do the same, just think you're excluded a huge chunk of the market.
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 13th Aug 18, 7:22 PM
    • 6,184 Posts
    • 4,508 Thanks
    vansboy
    My sister had a male lodger and it worked well, as he worked at same hospital, but different departments/shifts, so less chance of bathroom clash, first thing.

She prefered male, as again, bathrooms and females seem to take a lot of time together - her words! Plus males have LOTS less touletries and cosmetics taking up space.

VB
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,453 Posts
    • 9,260 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Not sure why people are suggesting 'female preferred', I'd have thought a male Mon-Fri lodger would be equally good.

Many would actually only be there 4 nights, most would be just looking for a place to rest their hat.

Not saying women don't do the same, just think you're excluded a huge chunk of the market.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    A woman living alone might feel safer with a female lodger, at least at first until she's got the hang of vetting people.

If you have to ask why, I suggest just reading the papers more regularly.
    • Peter Brown
    • By Peter Brown 14th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Peter Brown
    I suggest just reading the papers more regularly.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I suggest not.
    • Peter Brown
    • By Peter Brown 14th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Peter Brown
    My understanding is that a Monday-Friday type lodger does not require "Right to Rent" checks by the landlord. So that could reduce the amount of hassle (and potential discrimination issues) on the part of the landlord.

I would also be cautious about referring to gender etc in any advert. I'm no expert, but the laws are quite PC these days. I would avoid discrimination on the advert, and then just pick which lodger you wish (with your own PC compliant reasons ready).
    • Peter Brown
    • By Peter Brown 14th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Peter Brown
    A woman living alone might feel safer with a female lodger,
    Understandable, but may be classed as discrimination these days.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'd just be cautious. If you can avoid accusations, that's the best option.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 4,863 Thanks
    Comms69
    A woman living alone might feel safer with a female lodger, at least at first until she's got the hang of vetting people.

If you have to ask why, I suggest just reading the papers more regularly.
    Sorry totally forgot- all men are rapists.

I wonder when the last news headline was man and woman interact and nothing happens!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,067Posts Today

7,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Should fracking be allowed in the UK? A test site reopened this week to much local protest.? https://t.co/orpNJN6Bf9

• Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• Follow Martin