Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LTTRG2
    • By LTTRG2 9th Aug 18, 3:40 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LTTRG2
    18 Years Old, Long Commute
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:40 AM
    18 Years Old, Long Commute 9th Aug 18 at 3:40 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I started a very good job a few months ago which I enjoy greatly and it gives me good options to work towards to future goals. There is only one caveat with the job, being I have to commute around 50 miles each way daily, 4 days a week. This commute is really taking its toll on my tiny 1.4L 16 year old hatch, it also just gets 30MPG and is costing me an arm and a leg in fuel.

I am 18 and have been driving for close to 18 months now so am looking to get something a bit bigger. I have been looking at some of the newer (>2012) BMW 1 series diesels, as well as diesel (Primarily BlueMotion) Golfs, these are all around 7-8,000 in value and hover around 60MPG on average.

My after tax monthly wage works out to around 1300, I also have a good (Around 950 on experian) credit score and will likely attempt to get a personal loan (If I can get anything close to my banks promised 3%, that is) to purchase the car.

Another thing to note is I am a big car fan, I consider cars a big hobby of mine and am willing to spend that bit more to find something fun to drive with good performance.

My questions to put forward to everyone, however, are the following:
    A) Would purchasing a larger diesel hatch be more effective for my long commute?(Suggestions for other vehicles appreciated)
    B) Is a personal loan the most effective way to purchase the car? Would PCP or similar be a better choice?
    C) What is the likelihood of me being able to obtain any finance for this sort of vehicle?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this through, Thanks.
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Aug 18, 6:05 AM
    • 13,514 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    photome
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:05 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:05 AM
    A diesel would be more fuel efficient than your petrol as you are doing approx 24000 miles a year at 500 miles a week and prob more reliable than your 16 year old car if you are going for a newer model.

IMO PCP is for new cars not used

as for the personal loan, why dont you apply for one and then you will know

The selling garage may offer a good finance package, but again you would need to ask

Having said that my wife drives a 1.4l hatch and I would have no qualms driving that 100 miles every day
    Last edited by photome; 09-08-2018 at 6:08 AM.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 9th Aug 18, 6:14 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 2,211 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:14 AM
    Watch out for manufacturers mpg figures if that is an important part of your calculations. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/ will give you an idea of the figures that can be achieved in the real world. Also check out insurance costs. Sometimes, as a young driver, insurance can be lower cost on something a bit different purely because not many young drivers insure that particular model so there isn't the disastrous claims record that the smaller hatches have.

ETA If you are doing a number of quotes on comparison sites remember to clear cookies in your browser between quotes.
    Last edited by Nodding Donkey; 09-08-2018 at 6:17 AM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Aug 18, 6:14 AM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 6,110 Thanks
    Nick_C
    18 and you want a BMW or a golf? Check what the insurance would be before you commit to anything!

My current car is a 10 year old diesel, bought new, economical and reliable. But I occasionally work in London and its going to cost me about 22 a day to drive there once the emissions charge kicks in. Other cities are considering these charges. I won't be buying another diesel.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 9th Aug 18, 7:06 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    loskie
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:06 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:06 AM
    you would be better off looking at a Fabia or Ibiza diesel if you want something from the VAG stable. You are looking at costly cars to boost your image, they will also drain your wallet.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th Aug 18, 7:34 AM
    • 8,104 Posts
    • 7,417 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:34 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:34 AM
    I do a similar commute, at twice your age and budget.

Drop your budget to about 4k and buy the smallest bodied diesel you can find locally that's not a premium brand. It probably won't be great to drive but it'll save you a fortune.

Then put what you save in an account and treat yourself to something nice when the insurance won't destroy you.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 10,722 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    Can't think why a 1.4l hatchback would struggle with a 50 mile commute to be honest. I used to commute in an 875cc car and it was fine.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 27,760 Posts
    • 11,254 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    50 mile commute taking its toll on a 1.4 Hatchback??? WHY???

I used to do just shy of that each day with a 1000cc mini. I did the journey 7 days a week. I replaced it with a 1300cc car a few years later. Had that car for about 8 years.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 9th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    I wouldnt be sinking over half of my nett salary into a car that will do 15 miles more to a gallon.

Stay will your current car and save a few thousand and buy another car in a few years time.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 9th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    bigisi
    I'd question why a 1.4 is only getting 30mpg on a 50 mile commute. My commute is eight miles of stop start traffic and even I get 39 out of my 1.4 (Civic). You should be getting between 35-40 at the very least and if you're not there's something wrong with your car or your driving (or both).
    • fred246
    • By fred246 9th Aug 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    fred246
    I used to buy whatcar for some unknown reason. They would often review a small hatchback and say things like "will run out off puff on the motorway". I imagined being stuck on the hard shoulder waiting for the AA. "It's out of puff". The other stupid one was "can't keep up on the motorway".
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,651 Posts
    • 2,712 Thanks
    Tarambor
    This commute is really taking its toll on my tiny 1.4L 16 year old hatch, it also just gets 30MPG and is costing me an arm and a leg in fuel.

I am 18 and have been driving for close to 18 months now so am looking to get something a bit bigger. I have been looking at some of the newer (>2012) BMW 1 series diesels, as well as diesel (Primarily BlueMotion) Golfs, these are all around 7-8,000 in value and hover around 60MPG on average.
    Originally posted by LTTRG2
    All that saving on fuel will be thrown away with the cost of the finance and depreciation of a newer car.

10,000 miles a year at 30MPG petrol = 1936 @ 1.279/l
    10,000 miles a year at 60MPG diesel = 1000 @ 1.319/l (I doubt you'll get 60MPG if you're only getting 30MPG out of a 1.4L)

Difference = 936 a year.

Your approach to trying to save 936 a year is to spend 8,000 on a car which will depreciate at least 1000 a year and cost a lot more to insure, service and repair?

Well you're certainly not doing this to save money so don't kid yourself you are. Remember any finance you get you're going to be paying for up to 5 years and you'll have to pay it whether you have a job or not, whether you still live at home or get your own place and find you can't afford it with your 1300 a month income.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 9th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    eamon
    I think research is called for here and a little thinking outside the box as other posters have said.

Do the insurance quotes for marques that aren't ticking your current boxes e.g. Toyota Avensis. Loads for sale on Autotrader for less than 5k, most come loaded with everything and they just work. Sure they are dull to look at but looks aren't everything.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 9th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 3,351 Thanks
    DD265
    I had a similar problem. I got a '98 petrol Fiesta in 2012 which was fine on my <5 miles a day commute but I was having to fill it up twice a week when I started my 60 mile a day (in stop start motorway traffic to boot) commute in 2014. It was costing me 400 a month in fuel and having regular trips to the garage.

I got a brand new diesel Nissan Note on PCP - didn't actually save myself any money because PCP repayments are very costly when you do high mileage. But I was less worried about it breaking down and only filling up once a week. Plus it had bluetooth audio and that was just the best thing ever. I got rid of that last year, terminating the agreement early.

Bought a '05 Golf TDI, 1.9 last May, and promptly installed a Parrot Kit for my beloved bluetooth. The Golf does about 56-58mpg maybe (I stopped keeping track after a few weeks, and care more about how long I can go between visits to the fuel station), it's mechanically sound and the best bit is I own it outright. It was just over 3k last year, paid half in cash and the rest 0% on a credit card. My insurance has been pretty static for a few years now but I'm 30 so... The Golf is by far the better car; heavy and solid so it feels safe but it can still shift now that the reduced speed limits are gone - only I don't care about racing down the motorway any more and prefer to drive more economically.

In a way I'm glad I went the PCP route once - because I learned that I don't want to do it again. I'd keep the car you have until repairs mean it's not economical to run, and put aside what you can for a newer one or to move closer to work. Then if you have to finance one, an interest free credit card would be my preferred route personally.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    • 27,760 Posts
    • 11,254 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    60 miles a day costing 400 a month in fuel = 18mpg?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin