Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Desperado_2015
    • By Desperado_2015 9th Aug 18, 12:23 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 104Thanks
    Desperado_2015
    Advice appreciated - internet banking hack
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:23 AM
    Advice appreciated - internet banking hack 9th Aug 18 at 12:23 AM
    Moved to another board
    Last edited by Desperado_2015; 09-08-2018 at 9:08 AM.
Page 1
    • realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 9th Aug 18, 12:28 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    realaledrinker
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:28 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:28 AM
    Sorry but can you split up your 531 word paragraph so that we can read it?
    Ethical moneysaver
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 9th Aug 18, 7:17 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    18cc
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:17 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:17 AM
    Yes the first thing you need to do is do a complete factory reset on your computer or just do not use that computer again for banking you may have a keylogger or some other malware on your computer that is logging your internet banking details

that is probably the only way they could get into it could you tell me which bank it is as the way you logon varies from Bank to bank thank you
    • Desperado_2015
    • By Desperado_2015 9th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Desperado_2015
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    Thanks you
    Last edited by Desperado_2015; 09-08-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    takman
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    Hello
    Ive had some great advice from MSE’ers in the past and looking for some more. If ;m posting in the wrong place please let me know, there doesnt seem to be a fraud thread.

Around a month ago, we were returning from holiday in car/Caravan when I received a text from my bank, with a one off passcode to use regarding my recent call to phone bank. I hadn;t called phonebank, so I rang the bank back to discuss. Long story short, it would appear someone had tried to access my phonebank but had failed the security questions, this had generated the text. My accounts were frozen until I could get into my branch with ID, which I duly did.

Over the next few days we began to get a number of withheld silent phone calls to our landline house phone. I did not think too much about it. Then a BT engineer turned up at our house saying we had requested a visit as we were experiencing problems with our line. We had not requested this. When I rang BT, apparently someone had called them asking for calls to be diverted from our home phone number to a mobile, but when they couldnt answer basic security they hung up. BT, (ironically)could not give me any idea of the number used to make the call etc...and just told me they had added a note to my account saying we were the victims of malicious or nuisance behaviour, and any further requests for engineer visits, call diverts were to be ignored but logged. At this stage I thought it might be some weird prankster who knew us....didnt connect it with the forthcoming attempted banking fraud.

This morning when I tried to access internet banking I was unable to, and advised to call my branch. I was asked to go in yet again with ID as there appeared to be suspicious activity on my account. It would appear someone had phoned again but their voice did not match my profile. They then somehow managed to get INTO my online banking account and transfer a large amount of money from my esavings to my main current account. They then tried to transfer part of this money out of the account - at which point the bank apparently realised fraudulent activity and again froze the accounts. I have spent four hours today with my bank checking recent activity, direct debits and standing orders. I spoke at length with the fraud team who did not give me any reassurance, or explanation as to how this could have happened. . Thankfully no money was removed from my account but someone has hacked into it.

I am getting on a bit, but I am very security conscious.... I even have a sticking plaster over my webcam after watching some tv prog on the dark web, clever scammers and their technology. I never EVER compromise security when it comes to internet banking. I have a complicated password and memorable information, and I have absolutely no idea how someone has got my details. In fact, I had to change all my details first time my account was frozen last month, so the hacker has somehow even got my new, changed details. We are fairly computer savvy and never click on email links. I have Malwarebytes and other firewall and virus checkers, none of which have alerted me that someone may have remotely accessed my computer or installed a Keylogger.

I am completely stumped and not sure what to do next. The fraud team gave me a case number and advised me to simply run an anti virus check then call them back to get my internet banking unfrozen. After hours of googling when I got home, I now see I should probably contact the police or action fraud - not mentioned by the bank.

I also wonder what steps,I should take to make my computer secure. A complete factory restore?

Should I only ever access internet banking from an app with fingerprint recognition?

Thankfully no money has been taken from my account but we do have quite a bit in savings, and I feel very vulnerable.

Thanks for listening and advice or input appreciated.
    Originally posted by Desperado_2015
    You shouldn't delete your post after people have replied!

If you have all your savings in one bank then you should look at opening other accounts at other banks (look at best accounts for savings) as not only will you get a much better rate of interest you will also have a backup if your main account is frozen again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

903Posts Today

6,030Users online

Martin's Twitter