Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 9th Aug 18, 12:06 AM
    • 706Posts
    • 2,162Thanks
    kimplus8
    best old style cleaning products
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:06 AM
    best old style cleaning products 9th Aug 18 at 12:06 AM
    I try my best to cut money in the cleaning department by using concentrated cleaners (like pine disinfectant ) watered down to make cleaning spray etc to save me buying new spray bottles each week.
    I hate all the plastic waste however, so want to work on making my own floor/worktop/bathroom cleaner or find a way to buy it as cheap as possible with minimal waste. My current cleaning solution cost 45p and lasts me a month, I use this to clean worktops, floors, bathroom, glass, and occasionally use white vinegar for glass, floors etc.
    I've looked at buying ingredients to make my own cleaner but this seems to come to more than the 45p I pay now.
    Is this the best way or do you lovely people have tip for a better way.
    Thanks guys
    Dave Ramsey and Martin Lewis are my Money Saving Heros.
Page 1
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 27,404 Thanks
    caronc
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    I clean most everything with a mix of diluted stardrops with a few drops of zoflora added. I fill old spray bottles and it costs pennies to make up, does a good job and smells great.
    GC - Jul 211/150, Aug 105/140, Sep 152/160, 95/200
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 9th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 4,226 Posts
    • 9,300 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    Well, 45 pence really isn't very much money. What else can you buy for that money that lasts a month?

I use Zoflora

A cap full makes 400ml. Re-use the spray bottle. You can buy zoflora from major supermarkets.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 9th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    I ran out of toilet cleaner so I filled a empty fairy liquid bottle with water and about 30ml of thick bleach. Works better then the toilet cleaner did and the nozzle on the bottle means you can aim it under the toilet rim the same as a bathroom cleaner.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    We always refil the spray bottles with diluted bleach, detol, pine disinfectant (be careful with this round cats), not in the same bottle, and mix it down with water.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 9th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 9,208 Posts
    • 59,165 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    I use a home made mix. One part washing up liquid, two parts lemon juice, four parts white vinegar and five parts water. Stir carefully and decant into spray bottle(s). I usually make one part = 50mls, this makes up 600mls of cleaner. It is good in kitchens and bathrooms.
    One life - your life - live it!

NSD challenge October. 10/20
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,941Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin