Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RFT123
    • By RFT123 8th Aug 18, 11:54 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RFT123
    Best investment
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:54 PM
    Best investment 8th Aug 18 at 11:54 PM
    Hi, I have 25,000 which I would like to invest so that I can earn good interest. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this? I don't know whether to start.
Page 1
    • jennyjj
    • By jennyjj 9th Aug 18, 12:01 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    jennyjj
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:01 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:01 AM
    Hi, I have 25,000 which I would like to invest so that I can earn good interest. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this? I don't know whether to start.
    Originally posted by RFT123
    Start by deciding a few fundementals. How long do you want to tie the money up for? What is your tax rate? Do you have unused tax free allowance? How much risk are you comfortable with? Can you afford to lose it? Are you currently paying interest on any debt? etc etc.
    Far Far more info needed.
    • OldMusicGuy
    • By OldMusicGuy 9th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    OldMusicGuy
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    Answer this question - do you want to invest the money, which will not earn "interest" at a specific rate but instead the investments will go up (and possibly down) based on the level of risk associated with the investments, or do you want to put it into savings accounts and earn a specified rate of interest?

Investing the money will likely earn you more over the long term than saving it. But your investments could go down as well as up.

Instead, if you want to put it into savings accounts, you can find info on the best interest rates here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/ .

Also, BE VERY CAREFUL. Do not taken in by ads and sponsored links on Google that claim to offer "guaranteed" or "fixed rate" bonds at interest rates of 5% or higher. These are often quite high risk investments that should only be taken on by experienced investors. The best no-risk savings rates will be on the Money Saving Expert site at the link I posted above.
    Last edited by OldMusicGuy; 09-08-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    • BLB53
    • By BLB53 9th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    BLB53
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    Interest is normally associated with cash savings. The returns on investments comprise dividends and capital appreciation - neither of which are certain so take some time to research investments before taking a leap in the dark.

A couple of good sites to start off would be Monevator
    http://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-investing-investing/

and DIY Investor
    http://diyinvestoruk.blogspot.com/p/basics.html

Investing is more risky than cash savings but more rewarding over the longer term. However, the most risky strategy is to invest without understanding what you are doing.
    If you choose index funds you can never outperform the market.
    If you choose managed funds there's a high probability you will underperform index funds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

2,764Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin