Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kitten_Pie
    • By Kitten_Pie 8th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    • 1,892Posts
    • 15,543Thanks
    Kitten_Pie
    0 WOW
    New to camping with Children
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    0 WOW
    New to camping with Children 8th Aug 18 at 11:24 PM
    Hi All,

I am sure this has probably been asked a hundred times but searching the forums bought up little.

I have a family of 5 (children are 2,4,5) and going away is becoming more expensive each year. So we thought we would try camping. We have done glamping and the children have really enjoyed it and are all up for the proper camping experience.

My question is what is actually needed (or at least recommended) we have looked at tents and seen a few. Do we go with a smaller one that will do and can then upgrade to a larger tent which fits us all comfortably or do we go in with the large and hope it isn't too much for us to handle?

What other essentials are there? I don't want to do what I usually do and go full guns blazing and get all the gear to not do anything but equally I want to give it a fair chance as I loved it as a child.

Thank you for reading and any help you can give.
    Overdraft = 1000 Emergency fund = 2500
    Competition wins 2015 = 1400

Nathan Henry & Lincoln Marcus born 19th October 2011
    Naomi Lily born 28th August 2012 Lachlan Georg born 4th October 2013
    Rowena Hazel born 5th October 2015
Page 1
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 9th Aug 18, 6:55 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:55 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:55 AM
    You need a big car. Go for at least a 5 man tent preferably 6 man tent.
    I was/am in the same situation as you and tried camping but it is hard work with kids. If you can afford it , go for a camplet. We can!!!8217;t afford it so just have days out instead of holiday.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Aug 18, 8:13 AM
    • 14,899 Posts
    • 20,262 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:13 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:13 AM
    Big car or a small trailer.

Consider a trailer tent or folding camper.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 9th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 10,416 Posts
    • 13,103 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    Get something like this:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-icarus-500-deluxe-tent-2012-p201938

Not too big, not too small, has a lounge area if the weather is inclement.

Most basic campsites will have showers and toilets. All you mainly need are the basics:

Sleeping bags
    Sleeping mats
    Folding chairs
    A folding table
    Cooking and Dining gear

Everything else you can add as you go along.
    The man without a signature.
    • Kitten_Pie
    • By Kitten_Pie 9th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 15,543 Thanks
    Kitten_Pie
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    Thank you. very helpful. We have been looking at the trailer tent/motor home but think for a decent one they are out of our budget. At least at the moment.

Putting a budget together of the essentials so I can start hunting properly. We are lucky we have a large car although it will be a squeeze we can manage with the tent etc in our boot and in the longer term we can look at getting a roof box.

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Aug 18, 9:54 PM
    • 39,058 Posts
    • 35,947 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:54 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:54 PM
    Keep your eyes open for people advertising camping equipment after a 'never again' experience ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 7,684 Posts
    • 6,240 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    I don't know what car you have, but start with the clothes, games and everything else you take on holiday and see how much space you have for the camping gear.

Our tent is a five berth (in reality comfortable for three) and it takes up half the boot of an estate car. There is no way we could fit everything else for a a week or more camping in the boot.
    Last edited by daveyjp; 10-08-2018 at 7:44 AM.
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Aug 18, 6:31 AM
    • 13,516 Posts
    • 9,024 Thanks
    photome
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:31 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:31 AM
    Thank you. very helpful. We have been looking at the trailer tent/motor home but think for a decent one they are out of our budget. At least at the moment.

Putting a budget together of the essentials so I can start hunting properly. We are lucky we have a large car although it will be a squeeze we can manage with the tent etc in our boot and in the longer term we can look at getting a roof box.
    Originally posted by Kitten_Pie

I have the exact tent Viking linked to above, its a great tent BUT if you are all going to sleep on airbeds there isnt room for 5. we use 2 double airbeds and they fill the bedroom space., the tesnt itself takes up a lot of room in the car, we also have a carpet for it, which again takes up space

When me and my son go away in it for F1 weekends, there is just us 2 and the rest of the car ( an estate) is full to the brim with the back seats down. with 5 in the car there would not be room for all the gear.

what car do you have

we always take bikes on the roof as well

go along to somewhere that has tents on display ( go outdoors does but other places do as well) have a look at some, but also ask to see them packaged in their bag to gat an idea how much space you need in car just for tent
    Last edited by photome; 10-08-2018 at 6:40 AM.
    • Kitten_Pie
    • By Kitten_Pie 10th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 15,543 Thanks
    Kitten_Pie
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    I don't know what car you have, but start with the clothes, games and everything else you take on holiday and see how much space you have for the camping gear.

Our tent is a five berth (in reality comfortable for three) and it takes up half the boot of an estate car. There is no way we could fit everything else for a a week or more camping in the boot.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    Thank you, we have been looking at the size of them packaged etc. I can fit a photobooth in the car with all the family when I work weekends so we have plenty of space. Went away at the weekend and barely touched the boot space. I do think we will need a roof box if we get into it properly for all the additional items needed but should be ok for the basics.

• photome
    • By photome 10th Aug 18, 11:38 PM
    • 13,516 Posts
    • 9,024 Thanks
    photome
    Thank you, we have been looking at the size of them packaged etc. I can fit a photobooth in the car with all the family when I work weekends so we have plenty of space. Went away at the weekend and barely touched the boot space. I do think we will need a roof box if we get into it properly for all the additional items needed but should be ok for the basics.

Mmm a photo booth, surely not a full size 1.5 metre photo booth ?
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 12th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    Hi

There is a website www.ukcampsite.co.uk

It is an online forum for campers.

You will find lots of information and you can ask questions on the forum.

Cheers

Jen
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 12th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    Hi

Have a look at ukcampsite.co.uk

It's an online forum for campers.

Cheers

Jen
    • Kitten_Pie
    • By Kitten_Pie 12th Aug 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 15,543 Thanks
    Kitten_Pie
    Mmm a photo booth, surely not a full size 1.5 metre photo booth ?
    Originally posted by photome
    It comes in 11 boxes/packages which I build like a jigsaw which I take with me in the boot of my car yes. So a lovely big boot. I fit more in my boot than my friend who has a small van.

I went to Go Outdoors and bought a small 20 festival tent which fits 4 (2 comfortably) and me and my 5 person family packed the car and went away for the night. After realising I should really have booked a campsite first and planned more than I did which was not at all we turned back and camped in the garden.

It was a hit so I have purchased the one I have been looking at at Go Outdoors (but second hand from ebay)

The reviews on ukcampsite.co.uk seem really good so going to collect it next weekend and camping on the way back (bought it from a seller a few hours away so will take our new festival tent as well for backup)

Really excited to get started and the children are really enthusiatic too wanting to sleep in the tent every night; alas work tomorrow so have had to put my foot down and sleep in a bed.

• photome
    • By photome 13th Aug 18, 7:19 AM
    • 13,516 Posts
    • 9,024 Thanks
    photome
    which tent have you bought
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 13th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 745 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    We have a trailer tent and love it. You can get a decent but old trailer tent or folding camper for the same price as a tent. Look at sunncamp, trigano, Pennine and Conway. Ours is a camplet which is expensive.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Bobby Wader
    • By Bobby Wader 13th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Bobby Wader
    Definitely get as big a tent as you can afford. You will appreciate the space when it rains!

Camping is great, kids don't need much as everything you need is outside, so as long as you have plenty of warm/waterproof clothes, you only need a tent, bedding and a BBQ/small stove. Remember the simpler you keep things the better the experience.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 39,058 Posts
    • 35,947 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Really excited to get started and the children are really enthusiatic too wanting to sleep in the tent every night; alas work tomorrow so have had to put my foot down and sleep in a bed.
    We used to enjoy sleeping in the garden as children. When we moved, I was about 9, we were doing it a lot - it was summer and the weather was nice. Apparently one neighbour said to another neighbour "I don't know how many children they've got, but some of them have to sleep in the garden!"

Bear in mind that when the weather's wet, you want to avoid getting wet stuff too far inside the tent.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Kitten_Pie
    • By Kitten_Pie 13th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 15,543 Thanks
    Kitten_Pie
    We got the Kalahari 8 tent with the porch etc so should definitely be big enough. Also got the Freedom trail Toco 4 tent which is the one we have used.

Would love a trailer tent but think that is something to consider at a later date if this goes well.

Have a couple of torches and looking at a stove at the moment but don't need it for this weekends trip.

• CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 15th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Part of the secret of camping is to make it as luxurious as you can within as small a space as you can. So, if you really do take to this....

Invest in nesting light-wieght stainless steel saucepans with a shared handle and where the lid becomes the frying pan all held together with a strap, a collapsable bucket and a washing up bowl you can fold up, a very small dishrack ( the water drained off and saved the tea-towel getting quite so wet). Or a water carrier that's flexible enough to roll up when not being used. Or multi-purpose things, like a torch that turns into a lantern, and of course the good old Swiss Army knive with with a screw-driver and scissors as well as a blade.

Things which fold up to take a smaller footprint - tables where the legs collapse. and clip into place underneath, folding chairs and stools. Look out for things like very small bottles of washing up liquid (or find a small plastic bottle that you can fill up from home). Keep an eye out for things which can be repurposed to make your life easier - we carried a box with lots of comparments which was meant for picnic meals, but which meant we could store the small delicate essentials such as little packets of salt and pepper, stock cubes, matches, pegs nylon cord (for the guy ropes) , and spare gas mantles ( for our lantern)

With regards to stoves, we invested in a Coleman's stove which had two burners and which could run on petrol as well the special bottles of fuel. It was the size of a suitcase, but did making cooking much much easier. Believe it or not, I made three course dinners on that stove! It also had the power to heat up a full kettle of water quickly too. Think carefully about meals too. They need to be quick e.g. risotto, or stir-fries. Think about clothes too - light weight,, again roll up/fold down into as small a space as you can. Travel towels can be a good investment too as they fold up really small. although personally I don't think they are as good at drying you as a proper towel. However, they take up a tenth of the space.

Most of this did seem to fit into the boot (although it was very full), but as the boys got bigger, we used to hire a top box to accommodate everything.

Most of this came from camping shops and it was built up over many years - Cotswold Camping and Millets,and Go in the last year, but sometime the local stores by the campsites had reasonably priced camping equipment. Ships chandlers can also be a good source of equipment. Its a matter of keeping your eyes peeled, and being prepared to think outside the box a bit. If pennies permit, its definitely worth waiting for the sales, too.

HTH. Have fun!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,963Posts Today

6,131Users online

Martin's Twitter