Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harryrhodgson
    • By harryrhodgson 8th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    harryrhodgson
    Tsb default - what? Why?
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    Tsb default - what? Why? 8th Aug 18 at 9:28 PM
    Hi All,

Firstly, I hope this is in the correct section (if not, please remove).

I'm having a TSB nightmare. On Saturday (04/08/18) I decided to sign up for the MSE Credit Club to see my full credit rating and after seeing my dreadful score I found that I have defaulted on an unused current account earlier this year. The account in question hadn't been used since April 2017 and during the months of July/August 56 was spent on my card while it had no balance, in January TSB defaulted the account.

There's a few problems here:

1) I've not received any letters about me oweing money or my account been defaulted (hence my surprise)
    2) I have recieved 3 emails but, under the guise of 'Information about your account' which isn't very forthcoming for something as important as a default
    3) TSB claim they don't need to send me a letter, rather, it's my fault for not checking online banking for an old current account I'd forgotten about. (I'm not fully paperless by the way)
    4) TSB won't tell me where the charges were made nor will they provide me statements.
    5) TSB customer service is like talking to a brick wall who have been v. rude throughout my this ordeal.
    6) They've rejected my complaint and don't want to process as fraud

Clearly I should have been more on top of this but, I strongly believe that TSB haven't provided the level of comms I'd expect from a bank during this process. It's also worth noting that I'm in the process of applying for my 1st mortgage and, I've not purposely avoided TSB because I don't have the money.

Any help would be super helpful... It was quite the suprise, especially as it's 7 months since it happened

Thanks.
Page 1
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 8th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    If they won't give you statements the send them a Subject Access Request. That won't necessarily give you the statements but it'll give you all the information they hold on you, which should include what was charged to the account to put it into overdraft.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/
    Last edited by boo_star; 08-08-2018 at 9:43 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    First ignore the score/rating.

Was there an overdraft on the account? It could be left over interest unpaid from that.

If you!!!8217;ve moved and not updated TSB they will only send to the last known address for you
    • harryrhodgson
    • By harryrhodgson 8th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    harryrhodgson
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    Thanks. Did not think of that - will request and, see what happens.

Much appreciated.
    • harryrhodgson
    • By harryrhodgson 8th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    harryrhodgson
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    No overdraft, well not that I've agreed to. I avoid taking credit facilities whenever possible.

I've lived in the same house for 14+ years and, back when I regularly used my card recieved frequent comms from them - I checked my address while on the phone to them and everything aligned with my current details.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Aug 18, 10:01 PM
    • 15,875 Posts
    • 14,924 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:01 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:01 PM
    TSBs banking systems are in turmoil at the moment.

There IT problems seem to be ongoing, that may or may not have anything to do with your problem.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

3,980Users online

Martin's Twitter