Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doc flash
    • By Doc flash 8th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Doc flash
    PPI claim no account details help
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    PPI claim no account details help 8th Aug 18 at 8:44 PM
    Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice, please.

I am wanting to see about claiming PPI on a couple of old accounts, but I do not have any details apart from the provider's name, which was Barclaycard and a sony card which after some searching was through MBNA.

From what I can remember the Barclaycard account would have been active from around 2000 until possible 2005 or so
    and the Sony card possibly from 2002 until 2005.

Firstly, is there any point in trying to get details for these accounts as they are that 'old'?
    Secondly, would it be a SAR letter that I would use for this? Or is there something else to use instead?
    Is there an up to date SAR template available?

Also while I am here, can I claim for bank charges on old bank accounts as well? Example for overdraft charges and the charge for the letter that they sent, which I believe was 25 or something like that?
    The account would have been active from 1999 until around 2010.

Would it be the same procedure I use if I don't know account numbers etc? I.E.would I send a SAR letter to the bank first?

If and when I get the account details, could someone point me in the direction of a template to use for these charges?

Many thanks for all your help.
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Aug 18, 11:21 PM
    • 22,316 Posts
    • 11,897 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:21 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:21 PM
    can I claim for bank charges on old bank accounts as well?
    Originally posted by Doc flash
    In a word, no.

The banks won their court case about Bank charges in 2009. You won't ever get a refund of historical bank charges, especially from a bank which you are no longer a customer of.

Sorry.

PPI , on the other hand, has template complaint letters and advice articles on this site. Just search.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 9th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 3,513 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice, please.

I am wanting to see about claiming PPI on a couple of old accounts, but I do not have any details apart from the provider's name, which was Barclaycard and a sony card which after some searching was through MBNA.

From what I can remember the Barclaycard account would have been active from around 2000 until possible 2005 or so
    and the Sony card possibly from 2002 until 2005.

Firstly, is there any point in trying to get details for these accounts as they are that 'old'?
    Secondly, would it be a SAR letter that I would use for this? Or is there something else to use instead?
    Is there an up to date SAR template available?

Also while I am here, can I claim for bank charges on old bank accounts as well? Example for overdraft charges and the charge for the letter that they sent, which I believe was 25 or something like that?
    The account would have been active from 1999 until around 2010.

Would it be the same procedure I use if I don't know account numbers etc? I.E.would I send a SAR letter to the bank first?

If and when I get the account details, could someone point me in the direction of a template to use for these charges?

Many thanks for all your help.
    Originally posted by Doc flash
    You can ring up or write to each provider and ask them if you had PPI. A SAR would only be needed if the frontline team cannot find any details. You do not need a template letter (what is the obsession with these on MSE??) - you just write to their SAR team and ask for a copy of everything they hold on you. Provide any details you can like date of birth, maiden/old names and addresses etc
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 22,316 Posts
    • 11,897 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    You do not need a template letter (what is the obsession with these on MSE??)
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    I'd much prefer people using template SAR request letters than Claim Management Companies!

I think the point is that not everyone is confident in written communication and at least the templates push the user to provide all pertinent information.

On the other hand, while template letters of complaint can also be useful if used properly, the danger is that the complaint reasons therein may not apply-thus seriously weakening the complaint.

Regardless, there is definitely a demand for such templates.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 9th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 3,513 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    I'd much prefer people using template SAR request letters than Claim Management Companies!

I think the point is that not everyone is confident in written communication and at least the templates push the user to provide all pertinent information.

On the other hand, while template letters of complaint can also be useful if used properly, the danger is that the complaint reasons therein may not apply-thus seriously weakening the complaint.

Regardless, there is definitely a demand for such templates.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    My point is that you see countless posts on here for very basic things where people want a template letter where it is not needed.

For a SAR though, it literally is a 2 minute letter/email. I deal with them at work (not as a data controller but as the person that gets the email from the IG team and then does the digging) and we get them through periodically, it can be as below:

Subject: SAR

Dear Data Controller

My name is xyz, I would like to request you send all the information you hold on me as per GDPR requirements. Here is proof of my ID (e.g. scan of driver's license). Here is my current address, this is my old name/address

Regards

xyz

As you say, template letters are dangerous beasts when people don't follow them properly - I am not saying they don't have a place (e.g. parking forum responses) just people seem to be obsessed with getting a template for things that do not need them
    Last edited by Nasqueron; 09-08-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    • 95,362 Posts
    • 62,975 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    Statistically, template letters have a lower success rate than personalised complaints. However, so do claims companies.

The problem with templates is normally down to three things.
    1 - the person using the template doesn't remove things that do not apply and does not relate to their scenario. So, when some of the things in the template are shown to be lies, the person complaining can lose credibility in an area that requires a balance of probability decision.

2 - Many templates use legalistic rubbish that is often wrong or misleading.

3 - The complaints team at the firm will have seen some templates hundreds or even thousands of times before. Some templates will have a bad first impression because the complaints handler will immediately start with the negative attitude on it.

Hence why personalising the template and removing the irrelevant points can improve the situation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 22,316 Posts
    • 11,897 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    The complaints team at the firm will have seen some templates hundreds or even thousands of times before.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Indeed. I bet they are sick of reading how complainants were "young and naive"!
    • Doc flash
    • By Doc flash 12th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Doc flash
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    Thank you all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,001Posts Today

8,303Users online

Martin's Twitter