Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 8th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 3,252Posts
    • 6,792Thanks
    mark88man
    Student Utilities - Same House Different Tenancy
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    Student Utilities - Same House Different Tenancy 8th Aug 18 at 8:26 PM
    Hi

My daughter is at Uni. She had to rent Y1 and is now in the same house but with a different tenancy agreement and mostly different tenants for Y2 (started a few days ago so currently active in the Y2 tenancy).

The previous tenant responsible for the energy bills (dual supply with EON) has left and is not returning, but has given my daughters name to EON as the new utility provider

So as discussed in a previous thread a month or so ago I highlighted issues and the account is still overdrawn.

So what is the position

* Can EON make her in charge without her permission
    * Who is liable for the balance on the account - the house or the previous tenant

As a complicating factor she has been active in trying to resolve the dispute and dealing with EON and the Ombudsman so is "known" to them

Finally - they are a good bunch of kids, so there is no intention to do a bunk - but just a situation in which EON seem to do what they want and I would really appreciate a bit of advice on legalitoes and technicalities so I can offer her etter advice
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight - Fluctuating - less than I was more than I should be
    1/18: CC:11.5K@0% - Car Loan:17K@2.8% - Mort:145K@2.9%
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018-1H:11K
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 27,496 Posts
    • 13,485 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    Threads on students and problems with their utility bills are a regular occurrence on MSE.

For your daughter's situation I suggest you look up 'jointly and severally liable'.

In essence it means that your daughter can be held responsible for any energy used in the property while she was in occupation; as can any other occupant.

An energy company will bill any occupant, and if not paid the bill will be passed to a Debt Collection Agency.(DCA)

If the student 'responsible for paying the energy bills' has received monies from other tenants, but will not settle the outstanding amount, then take action against him/her in the Small Claims court.

Utility companies, and DCA's in particular, will not get involved in the internal arrangements of who paid what to whom.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 8th Aug 18, 10:49 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 6,792 Thanks
    mark88man
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:49 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:49 PM
    Thank you Cardew

My thinking is that the new tenancy separates the Y2 tenants from the Y1 tenants who still need to resolve the misbilling that happened in Y1 and which is currently with the ombisdman.

Is my understanding correct in general, if its a new tenancy there is a new "jointly and severally liable" to apply, and the new 3 tenants aren't signing up for last years liability and the 3 tenants remaining are jointly and severally liable with the departed tenants for the last years bill once the ombudsman resolves it

PS We re not trying to get out of paying just trying to avoid complexities with the new tenants
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 27,496 Posts
    • 13,485 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    The new tenants are clearly not liable for any of the Y1 bill.

However there is still the problem of who will pay the Y1 bill after the 'misbilling' issue has been settled by the ombudsman.
    • SwanJon
    • By SwanJon 9th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 941 Thanks
    SwanJon
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    As hinted at above, get E.On to close the account down (to the end of Y1), ideally with a real reading.
    This means Y1 tenants can resolve Y1 bills without affecting Y2 tenants.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 9th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 6,792 Thanks
    mark88man
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    That's reassuring. With a few tenants in common over the Y1/Y2 boundary it was a little complicated but you have been clear
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 9th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 6,792 Thanks
    mark88man
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    In terms of Y1 bill DD has been badgering the tenants and they are aware of the need for a few hundred pounds each coming soon, and have (allegedly) put money aside so we are not worried. i won't go into issues of the misbilling but it is with the ombudsman with resolution expected shortly
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:41 PM
    E.ON Home Moves
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:41 PM
    Hi

My daughter is at Uni. She had to rent Y1 and is now in the same house but with a different tenancy agreement and mostly different tenants for Y2 (started a few days ago so currently active in the Y2 tenancy).

The previous tenant responsible for the energy bills (dual supply with EON) has left and is not returning, but has given my daughters name to EON as the new utility provider

So as discussed in a previous thread a month or so ago I highlighted issues and the account is still overdrawn.

So what is the position

* Can EON make her in charge without her permission
    * Who is liable for the balance on the account - the house or the previous tenant

As a complicating factor she has been active in trying to resolve the dispute and dealing with EON and the Ombudsman so is "known" to them

Finally - they are a good bunch of kids, so there is no intention to do a bunk - but just a situation in which EON seem to do what they want and I would really appreciate a bit of advice on legalitoes and technicalities so I can offer her etter advice
    Originally posted by mark88man
    Hello mark88man and already some great advice on here. Thanks all.

To confirm, please ask your daughter to talk to our Home Moves team (available from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am and 6pm Saturdays via phone, Live Chat or twitter/Facebook). They'll make sure the Y1 account is closed to the information provided and open a new one for Y2. This will keep the two tenancies separate. They may ask to see a copy of the Tenancy Agreements. Nothing personal, just to confirm the relevant dates. Meter readings for the changeover date would be good as they'll help keep the billing accurate. Don't worry if they're not available. If they're not, we'll use estimates based on past usage to issue a final bill.

This will allow the Y1 dispute to continue down the Ombudsman route without being complicated by the Y2 tenancy.

Hope this explains mark88man.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,487Posts Today

8,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin