Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 8th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 89Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    Forcing other half to sell
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    Forcing other half to sell 8th Aug 18 at 7:54 PM
    I'm asking this on behalf of a close friend.

She jointly owns a pub with her boyfriend. She bought half with cash and he has a mortgage. Their relationship has broken down and she would like to buy him out. He cannot afford to buy her out. He will not sell it to her unless she pays him double the valuation price the estate agents have valued it at. There has been viewings on it for X amount and a definite interested party but my friend wants to buy it and is really struggling to come to terms with selling it and felt like she was forced. She would even pay slightly more than the full asking price however her boyfriend will only let her buy him out for double the asking price.

In essence, he doesn't want her to have it. He will agree to sell to anyone else for the asking price but not my friend. Kind of like he can't afford it so will make sure she can't buy it either.

Is there any way of forcing him to sell to her?

Any help or advice really appreciated.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 59,517 Posts
    • 52,823 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    What's the valuation for? The property alone. Presumably the business has a value too. If it's a going concern.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 8th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    What's the valuation for? The property alone. Presumably the business has a value too. If it's a going concern.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir

It's a commercial estate agents for the pub, which has living accommodation above. It's currently trading.
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 8th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    pramsay13
    You could offer to buy it and then sell it to your friend for the same price.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 8th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    You could offer to buy it and then sell it to your friend for the same price.
    Originally posted by pramsay13

Not in a position just bought a house myself and financially not able to. That's one thing I've suggested is approaching other friends or someone that could afford it and her buy from them. Trouble is over the time they have known one another boyfriend knows her friends and family so is likely to block the sale of he thinks it is someone who is going to then sell to her. It's very spiteful but I don't know what the way round it would be.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 8th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 5,421 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    Does he really want to sell?

If so, she could refuse to sell her half to anyone. He'd have to come round eventually, if he /needs/ to sell.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 8th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 3,734 Posts
    • 10,188 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    She could form her own limited company and have that entity purchase the pub from the both of them.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 8th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    Does he really want to sell?

If so, she could refuse to sell her half to anyone. He'd have to come round eventually, if he /needs/ to sell.
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    Well perhaps this is part of the problem, he wants to keep it OR sell to someone who isn't my friend. It's like he can't accept that she could afford it and donitnoj her own so is demanding double the value to let her do it or see it sold. He knows she doesn't want to sell it so is playing thr game. He is stubborn but they can't go on together trying to run a business and live together. It's just not working.

It's frustrating as he could walk away with the money more than the asking price but he doesn't want to see her run it so would prevent her from buying it.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 8th Aug 18, 8:42 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:42 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:42 PM
    She could form her own limited company and have that entity purchase the pub from the both of them.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Sorry, idiot question but can you explain more? I need to try and understand it so I can explain to her and she can take forward.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 8th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 6,695 Posts
    • 8,737 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Ultimately it would be possible for her to apply to the court for an order for sale it would be difficult for him to justify blocking a sale, if she s willing to may as much (or a little above what any 3rd party buyer is offering.
    It may be worth her speaking to a litigation solicitor who deals with 'TOLATA' cases.

Buying through a company might work she would set up a company, the company would then buy the property. So the offer the estate agents would get would be from 'Smith Ltd' or whatever the company is called.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    Comms69
    I'm asking this on behalf of a close friend.

She jointly owns a pub with her boyfriend. She bought half with cash and he has a mortgage. Their relationship has broken down and she would like to buy him out. He cannot afford to buy her out. He will not sell it to her unless she pays him double the valuation price the estate agents have valued it at. There has been viewings on it for X amount and a definite interested party but my friend wants to buy it and is really struggling to come to terms with selling it and felt like she was forced. She would even pay slightly more than the full asking price however her boyfriend will only let her buy him out for double the asking price.

In essence, he doesn't want her to have it. He will agree to sell to anyone else for the asking price but not my friend. Kind of like he can't afford it so will make sure she can't buy it either.

Is there any way of forcing him to sell to her?

Any help or advice really appreciated.
    Originally posted by todayisagreatday
    Absolutely no way to force a sale to her.

He is entitled to keep the asset as long as he wishes.

Now she could force a sale to him or another party; because she has a right to liquidate assets, but that would be her 50%
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Aug 18, 9:16 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    Comms69
    Ultimately it would be possible for her to apply to the court for an order for sale it would be difficult for him to justify blocking a sale, if she s willing to may as much (or a little above what any 3rd party buyer is offering.
    It may be worth her speaking to a litigation solicitor who deals with 'TOLATA' cases.

Buying through a company might work she would set up a company, the company would then buy the property. So the offer the estate agents would get would be from 'Smith Ltd' or whatever the company is called.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    It wouldn!!!8217;t when it!!!8217;s a commercial asset which provides an income.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 8th Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    steampowered
    The court can force a sale, and may well do so if the BF is just being spiteful.

If your friend does not the risk/expense of court proceedings, then she will have to sell with the BF's approval.

Forming a limited company is very simple - it can be done in 24 hours for minimal cost. The company could then purchase the pub. However this would be pointless if the BF knows/suspects that the company is really owned by the girlfriend, and the names of the company's initial shareholders would be a matter of public record.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Aug 18, 10:16 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    Comms69
    The court can force a sale, and may well do so if the BF is just being spiteful.

If your friend does not the risk/expense of court proceedings, then she will have to sell with the BF's approval.

Forming a limited company is very simple - it can be done in 24 hours for minimal cost. The company could then purchase the pub. However this would be pointless if the BF knows/suspects that the company is really owned by the girlfriend, and the names of the company's initial shareholders would be a matter of public record.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    In a commercial property?...
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 8th Aug 18, 10:39 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    todayisagreatday

Originally posted by steampowered
    The Limited company sounds a very interesting option. Would there be any stage where her details, e.g. her personal name not the name of the limited company would have to be disclosed to the sellers (I know she would be the seller as would her boyfriend and obviously she would know she was buying it)!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Aug 18, 10:48 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,502 Thanks
    Comms69
    The Limited company sounds a very interesting option. Would there be any stage where her details, e.g. her personal name not the name of the limited company would have to be disclosed to the sellers (I know she would be the seller as would her boyfriend and obviously she would know she was buying it)!
    Originally posted by todayisagreatday
    Yes any time someone searched companyís house
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin