Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mollycoddle
    • By mollycoddle 8th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 19Thanks
    mollycoddle
    20 mile detour to home for 3 weeks = 40 miles a day
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    20 mile detour to home for 3 weeks = 40 miles a day 8th Aug 18 at 7:16 PM
    Hi

I wonder if anyone knows if there is any type of compensation i can claim for the said scenario ?

The council are doing roadworks down the road where i live & have closed the road, this gives 3 members of the family each a detour every day of approx 20 miles. As you can imagine as massive 40 miles per day for 3 weeks is going to cost a lot more on fuel than normal. Any one know if there is anyway to claim cost for the extra miles we are having to endure ?

thank you.
Page 2
    • prowla
    • By prowla 9th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 8,342 Thanks
    prowla
    Well, some rather unsupportive answers here...

I would consider a 20 mile detour to be a significant hassle 20 miles/day = 100 miles/week = 300 miles over 3 weeks.

However, I don't think there should be any compensation for it, as roads do need maintaining.

Finding out whether it is authorised might be worth looking into, but I'd guess it is, as it's roadworks not somebody chopping a tree down.
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 9th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    NelliePie
    No doubt you would probably want to claim compsensation if they didnt do they work and your car got damaged.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    ^^^ THIS! ^^

The work will be to improve the roads! (or some other aspect) and therefore improve your usual commute. What would you do if they let the road fall into disrepair?
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 9th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    Well, I have sympathy here having had to make 20 minute diversions each way this morning due to an A road closure close to our house. It's been closed for a week now, with no sign of any workmen or progress - I can see it all while working in my office upstairs. It's great when I'm heading south, but at least 20 minutes extra each way heading north. That's mainly because all of the HGV traffic ignore all of the road closure signs and then try and squeeze down single lane country tracks - yesterday it took me over an hour extra because 2 lorries got stuck.

I don't mind if they were actually doing some work, but there's been no-one there at all since Saturday. The actual signposted diversion route for HGV traffic is over 20 miles as there really isn't another viable road in the area.

Oh, and the reason is because they cracked a major water pipe while resurfacing a road that they had already resurfaced and mucked up a few months earlier - and had cracked the same pipe then as well which shut the road for 4 days!!! Absolute idiots!!!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Aug 18, 1:13 PM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Well, some rather unsupportive answers here...
    Originally posted by prowla
    Huh? Are we reading the same thread?
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 9th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 16,122 Posts
    • 22,184 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Just park the other side of the roadworks.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3,967 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    Tarambor
    A "MASSIVE" 40 miles is that bigger than the standard ones.
    Originally posted by loskie
    Sadly it isn't for those of us doing night runs on the UK major road network.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 10,167 Posts
    • 125,653 Thanks
    kazwookie
    A road around here has just been shut for 1 year owing to a bridge 'moving' in the dry weather.
    (Between Brackley and Banbury)
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 9th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    Get over yourself!
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 10th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 20,878 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Is the OP ever going to come back and update us?
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Enough already. It isn't even funny.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    He's coming across as very bitter and (presumably) jealous of Audi drivers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,876Posts Today

6,403Users online

Martin's Twitter