Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mollycoddle
    • By mollycoddle 8th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 19Thanks
    mollycoddle
    20 mile detour to home for 3 weeks = 40 miles a day
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    20 mile detour to home for 3 weeks = 40 miles a day 8th Aug 18 at 7:16 PM
    Hi

I wonder if anyone knows if there is any type of compensation i can claim for the said scenario ?

The council are doing roadworks down the road where i live & have closed the road, this gives 3 members of the family each a detour every day of approx 20 miles. As you can imagine as massive 40 miles per day for 3 weeks is going to cost a lot more on fuel than normal. Any one know if there is anyway to claim cost for the extra miles we are having to endure ?

thank you.
Page 1
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 8th Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    No, there will not be.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 17,766 Posts
    • 45,075 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    Pulls up a chair.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 8th Aug 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:28 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:28 PM
    If they did, they would be (ahem) mollycoddlying you at the expense of everyone else.
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 8th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    If only it was possible Oxford City council would be out of business. That place is a dump as it is, No road improvements would make the place any better, and with the constant road closures i'd have wished compensation was true.

I remember having over an hour waiting/detours just to get round a road some years ago, That lasted 6 months. there were times I'd finish work at 5 and wont get home til gone half 7.
    • mollycoddle
    • By mollycoddle 8th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    mollycoddle
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    Shame if not , i am only asking because the last time this happend was for about 3 weeks for someone to have their roof rethatched & weeks after was told the owner of the house never even had permission to shut off the road in the first place.
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 8th Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    its wrong that it happens, But its gotta happen at some point. I work permanent nights now, So i get all the roadworks and closures. I'd love that to happen during 9-5 hours. That way everyone will be effected and just not me. A person can only dream.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 8th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    Car share, then it's only one lot of extra cost incurred between the three of you...

TBH if councils paid compo each time they did works no everything would get repaired and people would complain.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 8th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 1,642 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    No doubt you would probably want to claim compsensation if they didnt do they work and your car got damaged.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 8th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 13,053 Posts
    • 10,397 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Shame if not , i am only asking because the last time this happend was for about 3 weeks for someone to have their roof rethatched & weeks after was told the owner of the house never even had permission to shut off the road in the first place.
    Originally posted by mollycoddle
    Then check with the council to ensure its an authorised closure.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Aug 18, 12:27 AM
    • 3,938 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Hi

I wonder if anyone knows if there is any type of compensation i can claim for the said scenario ?

The council are doing roadworks down the road where i live & have closed the road, this gives 3 members of the family each a detour every day of approx 20 miles. As you can imagine as massive 40 miles per day for 3 weeks is going to cost a lot more on fuel than normal. Any one know if there is anyway to claim cost for the extra miles we are having to endure ?

thank you.
    If you think you're badly done to we've had diversions on night trunk runs which have added 80 miles to a run per truck and we run 100 trucks doing an average 9MPG. If hauliers who have their diesel and wage bills increased by 1000s a week because of the various road closures on a night can't get compensation what do you think your chances are?
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Aug 18, 6:01 AM
    • 13,665 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    photome
    Car share, then it's only one lot of extra cost incurred between the three of you...

TBH if councils paid compo each time they did works no everything would get repaired and people would complain.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards

I suspect car share is not an option, maybe they go different times and places.

No compo due though IMO
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Aug 18, 6:24 AM
    • 4,487 Posts
    • 6,473 Thanks
    Nick_C
    It's the lack of planning that annoys me.

A road from our village was recently closed for three weeks for sewer works, adding about 5 miles to most of my journeys.

The week it reopened, there was a partial closure a mile further up while the water company did more work. Doing both jobs at the same time would have been good.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 9th Aug 18, 6:41 AM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    Lorian
    Where is the closure?

http://streetworks.org.uk/live-traffic-works-map/

if its anything like the recent "20 mile" sign-posted diversion we had near where I live you could actually do it with a 2 mile diversion and without taking an unsociable route.
    • jrrowleyws
    • By jrrowleyws 9th Aug 18, 6:44 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    jrrowleyws
    If the roadworks are within walking distance you could consider parking the other side (assuming pedestrian access is maintained, usually is) and then having a short walk followed by your usual drive and reverse in the evening!
    • loskie
    • By loskie 9th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    loskie
    A "MASSIVE" 40 miles is that bigger than the standard ones.
    Massive overreaction by the way OP. You should be glad the road is being fixed.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 9th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 20,878 Thanks
    Merlin139
    The joys of living in the country! Cleaner air, Country smells, Peace and Quiet and detours if they close the road!

So where is this road closure?
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 9th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,137 Thanks
    unforeseen
    If you live in the country then the diversions are normally planned to take Artics. You may know a short route that is suitable for a car
    • force ten
    • By force ten 9th Aug 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    force ten
    Hi

thank you.
    this would suggest that the road closure is at or near your property and if this is the case then leave the car on the other side of the closure and walk the last bit, even if is a mile it has got to be better a mile walk over a 20 mile diversion
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 9th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    • 10,421 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Have you checked out the route of the diversion? Diversions are often to accommodate HGVs etc. There may be local routes you can use.
    The man without a signature.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,358Posts Today

7,558Users online

Martin's Twitter