Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rachysetty
    • By rachysetty 8th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rachysetty
    Making own kitchen ceiling rack for pots and pans - advice appreciated
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    Making own kitchen ceiling rack for pots and pans - advice appreciated 8th Aug 18 at 7:15 PM
    We have recently moved into a new house and I am looking to make the most of the kitchen and a space above the kitchen worktop (where I would have put units, but I didn't put the kitchen in). We've just moved in, and have a newborn as well as a 5 yr old and 3 yr old so trying to make it as cost effective and easy as possible, (we are far from unpacked lol).

I was thinking of using a couple of rail brackets suspended from the ceiling with a rail and maybe a centre bracket.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience if this would just fall out of the ceiling (rather than hanging off the wall) or is there specific wall plugs you can use for the fittings? (Can't post an image as although I've been using this site for years, and just been awarded a 7 year badge, I'm a new user and cannot add images. Who'd a thunk that one up ey?!)

Or is there specific ceiling version of these I could use?

Also if anyone has any knowledge as to the weight they would hold and if it would be suitable for say 4/5 pans?

i've seen designs for DIY ones which involve metal frames and chains that look too complicated and time consuming to source, (and not really the look I wanted).

Or bought ones ranging from basic at about 30 up to 70 or more.

Thanks in advance guys & gals
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 8,647 Posts
    • 9,862 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    You would need to use wood screws (or woodscrew hooks) direct into a joist.

I wouldn't trust any form of plasterboard fixing. It will be a straight down pull on the fixing. Even if the fixing held, the plasterboard might not.

If your new house is actually an old house with lath and plaster, be very cautious as any disturbance to the ceiling might cause the plaster to part company with the laths.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • rachysetty
    • By rachysetty 8th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rachysetty
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    ok that makes perfect sense. And it's a 70s build, so lovely old (but fiddly) construction to worry about. Thank you! :-D
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Aug 18, 7:51 AM
    • 19,791 Posts
    • 45,829 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:51 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:51 AM
    I have something similar to this

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/kitchenware-tableware/hd0/classic-square-ceiling-rack-l52-k~hhn1281.html?refid=GX190833678611-HHN1281_17081899&device=c&ptid=296253943891&target id=pla-296253943891&network=g&PiID%5B0%5D=17081899&gclid= EAIaIQobChMInNr66q_f3AIVzr3tCh3t1ggNEAQYASABEgIhw_ D_BwE

But instead of the chains going into the ceiling mine go from the front two corners to the wall with the rack screwed to the wall. Obviously no good if you're wanting it in the middle of the room
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,023Posts Today

6,979Users online

Martin's Twitter