Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnnyJekyll
    • By JohnnyJekyll 8th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JohnnyJekyll
    Broadband Provider Entered Me Into 18 Month Contract Without My Permission
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    Broadband Provider Entered Me Into 18 Month Contract Without My Permission 8th Aug 18 at 7:08 PM
    I recently got in touch with my broadband supplier with a connection problem. To cut a long story short, during the call I requested details for the complaints department because I was out of contract. The agent informed me that I was currently in an 18 month contract until the middle of 2019. I knew I had not entered into anything so I asked for proof. After a while the agent admitted that I had been wrongly entered into an 18 month contract about six months ago, and there was also no record of them informing me that they had done so. They have officially admitted to wrongly entering me into the contract. I have slowed things down to consider my options. Surely it is illegal for a company to enter a consumer into a contract without permission or agreement (whether it be a mistake or intentionally). Would anyone know the types of options I have? This is a very big company. Thank you.
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 8th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    Quite simply the new contract is void and they can't hold you to it. Did your monthly payments change as a result?
    • JohnnyJekyll
    • By JohnnyJekyll 8th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnnyJekyll
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Monthly payments did not change and they have said they will void the contract. I'm just annoyed that they have entered me into a contract in the first place. I have questions like:

What if I was old and vulnerable?
    What if it has affected my credit rating?
    What if I stopped the payments and they had started proceedings?
    And what about my time in dealing with this?

They illegally entered me into a contract. Surely the law is very much on my side in this case?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 10,623 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    Surely it is illegal for a company to enter a consumer into a contract without permission or agreement (whether it be a mistake or intentionally). Would anyone know the types of options I have? This is a very big company. Thank you.
    Originally posted by JohnnyJekyll
    I doubt that it's a criminal offence, if that's what you mean. Not unless it was done for the purpose of fraud (and in the case of business errors, that will be a difficult thing to prove).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 8th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Monthly payments did not change and they have said they will void the contract. I'm just annoyed that they have entered me into a contract in the first place. I have questions like:

They illegally entered me into a contract. Surely the law is very much on my side in this case?
    If you were old and vulnerable the contract would still be void.
    If it affected your credit rating you could pursue them to have this corrected. If they pursued you for payment they would have to prove it was owed.
    You may have a claim for reasonable quantifiable losses suffered. What are they?

Have you told them how much compo you want and how did they respond?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 3,233 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    If you didn't agree to the contract, then there was no contract. A contract requires the agreement of both parties.

However, their mistake has probably worked in your favour. You said the price didn't go up. Normally when a broadband contract comes to an end, any special deal expires and the price goes up. So it sounds like they continued giving you a discounted rate on the basis of their error.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • JohnnyJekyll
    • By JohnnyJekyll 8th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnnyJekyll
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone, very kind of you. Sorry the price went up to the normal full retail price (minus a ridiculous £2 offer to enter me into the contract). I guess my loses are my time in dealing with the matter.

I just feel this is a pretty bad thing to happen e.g. when I mentioned old and vulnerable I was referring to if I was old and this was confusing to the elderly person, who may have accepted the contract being in place (which can then lead to all sorts of problems further down the line if they can't afford it). I had to explain multiple times and ask for proof of my acceptance into the contract. Only then did they dig through it all and find it was their mistake.

I just feel this is a pretty poor thing to happen.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 8th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 12,630 Posts
    • 9,940 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:08 PM

Virgin Media by any chance?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • JohnnyJekyll
    • By JohnnyJekyll 8th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnnyJekyll
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    Sorry I can't divulge who it is.
    • Labsuper
    • By Labsuper 8th Aug 18, 9:19 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Labsuper
    Your 'what if's' count as zero....they didn't happen. How much time did spend sorting it out? A goodwill gesture from them is probably in order.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 8th Aug 18, 9:20 PM
    • 12,630 Posts
    • 9,940 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Sorry I can't divulge who it is.
    Provided you are telling the truth and haven't signed a non-disclosure agreement, theres no reason for you not to name them.

Not that it matters, it was just personal suspicion based on my own experience of VM.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • JohnnyJekyll
    • By JohnnyJekyll 8th Aug 18, 9:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnnyJekyll
    Sure sorry I meant to say prefer not to divulge.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 8th Aug 18, 9:45 PM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Thanks for the replies everyone, very kind of you. Sorry the price went up to the normal full retail price (minus a ridiculous £2 offer to enter me into the contract). I guess my loses are my time in dealing with the matter.
    When out of contract, a lot of providers bump the price up to far above the new customer / retail level - so being put in a new contract may have prevented this.

I think that's what the poster meant
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 8th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    So why didn't you renegotiate when your old contract expired?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 8th Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    • 3,483 Posts
    • 5,138 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    I just feel this is a pretty bad thing to happen e.g. when I mentioned old and vulnerable I was referring to if I was old and this was confusing to the elderly person, who may have accepted the contract being in place (which can then lead to all sorts of problems further down the line if they can't afford it). I had to explain multiple times and ask for proof of my acceptance into the contract. Only then did they dig through it all and find it was their mistake.

I'm with the OP on this one. The dire consequences of this I don't think people are taking seriously.

What if this happened to an elderly nun. She is then under the impression she is in a contract, so has to make savings elsewhere as she believes she can't cancel. As such, she recoups the money by neglecting the upkeep of her pedal cycle.

Then on one windy and blusty day as she's pedalling to the local orphanage to take along a basket full of kittens to brighten up the orphans little faces, her wheel comes off. The bike bolts foward, sending the poor nun flying through the air into a twister. This carries her and the innocent kittens to the land of Oz - never for any of them to be seen again. Those poor orphans.
    • NCC-1701
    • By NCC-1701 8th Aug 18, 11:04 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    NCC-1701
    Sure sorry I meant to say prefer not to divulge.
    That's okay...people make mistakes.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Aug 18, 8:00 AM
    • 8,822 Posts
    • 6,566 Thanks
    pmduk
    That's okay...people make mistakes.
    Originally posted by NCC-1701
    As did the broadband company, yet the OP is talking compo and what-ifs.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 9th Aug 18, 8:31 AM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    DoaM
    OP - there's nothing wrong with asking the provider for a goodwill gesture. They'll probably be willing to offer something, especially if you agree to stay with them (making sure you negotiate a good deal first).

But unless you can quantify any real losses you're not entitled to anything.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin