Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 8th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 186Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Cliddy
    Fidelity documents
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    Fidelity documents 8th Aug 18 at 5:55 PM
    Hi,

Has anyone there got a Fidelity investment account and having problems reading documents?
    For nearly 3 months now I have been unable to read/download any documents.

It displays a very basic error message implying it does not support my browser.

I'm using Chrome on a Android tablet. Everything else, everywhere else works fine.

They say they are working on it and that they are aware of the problem.

Frankly with the number of tablets/chrome out there I would have thought it was therefore fairly widespread by now !!!

I have tried all the usual, clearing cookies, trying other browsers etc. It looks as if it might be related to PDF files. But I have Adobe loaded and working elsewhere. So may be that the fidelity system is not linking to Adobe properly.

Any help or at least confirmation I'm not alone would would help.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 8th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    Just checked. I've got no problems. Windows 10, Chrome browser. Documents downloading without issue.
    • vectistim
    • By vectistim 8th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    vectistim
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    Sometimes it seems to do them as popups which get blocked without you being told.
    IANAL etc.
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 8th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    I'm also using Windows 10 and Chrome Browser - Works fine for me.

If you are unable to resolve the problem you can always change your settings to 'paper documents' and they will post them to you
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 8th Aug 18, 8:45 PM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:45 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:45 PM
    My android tablet often has issues with the handling of pdf files from web sites. I use FireFox as my main browser but I believe the same happens in chrome.

If the web sites simply opens pdf file directly (it opens fidelity.com/afile.pdf) it works but some sites seem to use the likes of "viewPDF.aspx". aspx files are part of the microsoft .net platform and android seems unable to handle them. The actual pdf document is inside the .aspx file and it is possible to rename the file as a .pdf file and open it.

Presumably introduced the issue with their platform update although this seems to occur on older sites.

See https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-an-aspx-file-2619705 for a further details
    Last edited by greenglide; 08-08-2018 at 8:49 PM. Reason: provide link
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 9th Aug 18, 7:00 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:00 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:00 AM
    It does this on my phone. Very annoying. And recently, if I try to open the account holding report the page loads with no information on portfolio. All the drop downs are just blank. I'm going to try on my laptop tonight, but not holding my breath.
    • cogito
    • By cogito 9th Aug 18, 7:09 AM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    cogito
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:09 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:09 AM
    It happens to me frequently and to the point where I have complained to my IFA. Documents refuse to open on my iPad but will do on my Windows laptop which is a nuisance because I rarely use it.

I have a pretty negative view of Fidelity and am considering dumping them. Their SIPP isn't a SIPP at all as you cannot hold shares or ITs in it and the choice of funds is limited.
    Last edited by cogito; 09-08-2018 at 7:15 AM.
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 9th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Cliddy
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    Many thanks for all the responses.

For those that it does happen to, does it display as a strange formatted error that displays transparently over the screen. Looks like an afterthought bit of amateurish coding?

Will look into the pop up comment.

For those of you that find it's ok on windows, it's probably not surprising, because if all windows users were effected as well there would uproar.

Regarding getting it on paper. It's ok as a 20th century solution but not exactly useful for day to day management. I have switched that on though thanks.

I manage mine and my wife's account, we were both advised at the same time of a quarterly report being available. Hers arrived 10 days ago mine hasn't.
    When I raised it with fidelity they said hers may have a different processing date !!!!

Would swap if it wasn't such a hassle and risk with the ISAs.

As usual I've had more practical help on here than anything fidelity has provided. That's not entirely true, they've provided no help.
    • gld73
    • By gld73 9th Aug 18, 2:03 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    gld73
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:03 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:03 PM
    I use a Chromebook, didn't have any issues with the old Fidelity website but when they switched to their new website, for months I was unable to do any dealing on my accounts (ISA and SIPP); clicking on the Switch or Buy button just resulted in that annoying circle going round and round, but never loading the page. I complained to them 3 or 4 times, and kept getting told it was nothing to do with their new website, no-one else was having problems, the problem was at my end .... (a search of forums showed this was not the case )

They seem to have resolved that issue as I can deal again now (I didn't change anything at my end!) but I think they still have problems that need ironed out. Keep pestering them until it's done!
    • horace972897
    • By horace972897 9th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    horace972897
    It would appear you can now hold UK shares in the Fidelity SIPP - 515 of them to choose from - No IT's though and still limited range of ETF's
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 9th Aug 18, 5:14 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Cliddy
    I use a Chromebook, didn't have any issues with the old Fidelity website but when they switched to their new website, for months I was unable to do any dealing on my accounts (ISA and SIPP); clicking on the Switch or Buy button just resulted in that annoying circle going round and round, but never loading the page. I complained to them 3 or 4 times, and kept getting told it was nothing to do with their new website, no-one else was having problems, the problem was at my end .... (a search of forums showed this was not the case )

They seem to have resolved that issue as I can deal again now (I didn't change anything at my end!) but I think they still have problems that need ironed out. Keep pestering them until it's done!
    Originally posted by gld73
    Thanks for response, pestering them involves water and ducks backs
    • Reluctantpensioner
    • By Reluctantpensioner 9th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Reluctantpensioner
    Windows 10+Opera no problems.
    • Reluctantpensioner
    • By Reluctantpensioner 9th Aug 18, 7:28 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Reluctantpensioner
    It would appear you can now hold UK shares in the Fidelity SIPP - 515 of them to choose from - No IT's though and still limited range of ETF's
    Originally posted by jon-w
    Are you sure about that?
    If you use "investment finder", selecting: Investment Trust or ETF and use the optional "Product eligibility" = SIPP you get nothing to chose from.
    If you select "shares", then there is no "Product eligibility" option. However, if you select any share (I tried TSCO) you will only see "This stock can be held in an Investment ISA and an Investment Account".
    I think you can only put "funds" into a SIPP.

I've only been a dedicated user of Fidelity for this year, but the interface has gone through numerous changes (mainly improvements).. They just added back linked accounts for example.
    • stephen160
    • By stephen160 9th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    stephen160
    You can buy investment trusts and ETfs in a Fidelity SIPP , i have many.
    • cogito
    • By cogito 9th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    cogito
    Originally posted by stephen160
    How do you do that?

I tried to buy BBOX, PHP, SGRO, THRL, PCTN, BYG and TRY earlier this year but my IFA said that I could only buy TRY.
    • Reluctantpensioner
    • By Reluctantpensioner 10th Aug 18, 12:22 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Reluctantpensioner
    How do you do that?

I tried to buy BBOX, PHP, SGRO, THRL, PCTN, BYG and TRY earlier this year but my IFA said that I could only buy TRY.
    Originally posted by cogito
    by stephen160
    Yeah, I want to know that too.

One quirkiness of the Fidelity platform is:
    With an ISA you have cash in your ISA which is "available to invest" and you use BUY to purchase something.
    With the SIPP you have cash in your SIPP, none of which is "available to invest" and there is no BUY option. You purchase something by SWITCHING from the "cash fund" to the selected investment.

I did notice that it would not stop you entering a SWITCH order from a fund to an IT, even one marked "only for ISA"? But as I didn't want to buy that day I didn't go any further.
    • cogito
    • By cogito 10th Aug 18, 8:13 AM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    cogito
    Loads of bad reviews on here and complaints about inability to view documents.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.fidelity.co.uk?page=2

All batted away by Fidelity with no explanations or indications that they have problems which need addresssing.

I've also had another trawl around Fidelity!!!8217;s website to see if I could find any shares to buy or ETFs or ITs and failed miserably. What do jon-w and stephen160 know that my IFA doesn't?
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 10th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Cliddy
    [QUOTE=cogito;74641133]Loads of bad reviews on here and complaints about inability to view documents.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.fidelity.co.uk?page=2

All batted away by Fidelity with no explanations or indications that they have problems which need addresssing.

I know, I was one of them. I don't believe in Facebook but thought trustpilot might be an option to vent my anger. They gave me the standard response on there. "Ring them", I did and they couldn't be less helpful if they tried.

Although they claimed others had the problem and that they are looking into it, it's been 3 months now.
    I can't view or download any docs or export to spreadsheet, PDF or excel.
    The trouble is I believe there is a simple solution that can be fixed at my end. In which case it'll never get fixed waiting for them.
    • stephen160
    • By stephen160 10th Aug 18, 3:54 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    stephen160
    Below are some of the trusts i own in my Fidelity SIPP

Aberdeen Diversified Income & Growth Trust PLC
    BlackRock World Mining Trust Plc
    Fidelity European Values PLC.
    Fidelity Japan Trust PLC
    Henderson International Income Trust plc
    Henderson Smaller Companies Investment Trust plc
    Temple Bar Investment Trust Plc
    The Bankers Investment Trust PLC
    The Monks Investment Trust PLC
    The Scottish American Investment Company PLC
    • cogito
    • By cogito 10th Aug 18, 5:27 PM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    cogito
    Below are some of the trusts i own in my Fidelity SIPP

Aberdeen Diversified Income & Growth Trust PLC
    BlackRock World Mining Trust Plc
    Fidelity European Values PLC.
    Fidelity Japan Trust PLC
    Henderson International Income Trust plc
    Henderson Smaller Companies Investment Trust plc
    Temple Bar Investment Trust Plc
    The Bankers Investment Trust PLC
    The Monks Investment Trust PLC
    The Scottish American Investment Company PLC
    Originally posted by stephen160
    And yet the Fidelity website states that these ITs are only available in their ISAs and investment accounts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,240Posts Today

8,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin