Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 69Thanks
    Supersonos
    Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage?
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage? 8th Aug 18 at 4:34 PM
    I've ordered some number plates from Demon Plates and, at the checkout, was given this option:

Free delivery - despatched within 5-7 working days
    Express - Despatched in 2 working days

Well, over a week was quite a long time to wait, so I paid the £3.99 for express.

That was on Monday, and I've not yet received notification they've been despatched, so I looked further on their website and noticed this in their FAQs:

"We begin working on your plates pretty much as soon as we receive the order. Under normal circumstances, number plates are despatched the same or next working day from us receiving your order."

And

"we start on an order as soon as it is received. Because of this it is not possible to cancel or amend an order which has been placed on either the internet or the telephone."

So have I been duped? I could ask for my £3.99 back but, technically, they have fulfilled the order (the plates were despatched today).
Page 5
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 10th Aug 18, 4:26 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    You chose the express dispatch and they didn't see the originals they saw a copy.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    No, they definitely saw a photo of the original. I have it here next to me now.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 10th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    bazzyb
    Registration of Registration Plate Suppliers 2008 - Schedule: verification ducunents. Makes no reference of copies, scans, faxs or even certified copies being accepted.

But then I stand to be corrected with you show me the legislation.
    Why do you need me to show you the legislation that you have clearly already seen?

I am glad you agree that there is nothing in there to say that "copies, scans, faxs (sic) or even certified copies" are not able to be used. However again you seem to think that original documents need to be physicality handled and inspected and I can't see where it refers to that in the said legislation. Perhaps you could either clarify or stop repeating the same waffle without anything to back it up.

Finally as the OP has said repeatedly, none of this makes a jot of difference to their original query - which I believe has now been answered in that the seller doesn't understand the difference between 'delivery' and 'despatch'.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Why do you need me to show you the legislation that you have clearly already seen?

I am glad you agree that there is nothing in there to say that "copies, scans, faxs (sic) or even certified copies" are not able to be used. However again you seem to think that original documents need to be physicality handled and inspected and I can't see where it refers to that in the said legislation. Perhaps you could either clarify or stop repeating the same waffle without anything to back it up.

Finally as the OP has said repeatedly, none of this makes a jot of difference to their original query - which I believe has now been answered in that the seller doesn't understand the difference between 'delivery' and 'despatch'.
    Originally posted by bazzyb

It's on the .gov website the op used.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 10th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    bazzyb
    It's on the .gov website the op used.
    The OP hasnít posted any links to .gov sites here, or to any other sites for that matter

In fact the only link to any website in this entire thread was posted by you, and it was to demon plates which is not a .gov site

.gov sites are sites owned and administered by the US Government by the way, perhaps you could expand on the relevance once you let us know which .gov site you are referring to?

Back on topic... there are at least 5 posts on this thread asking you to clarify why you believe there is a requirement for the seller to physically handle the original paper document. The. OP has already confirmed they provided the required documents electronically, which as far as I can see meets the requirements of the legislation.

If I am mistaken I would be happy to concede that what youíre saying is correct but you have repeatedly been asked why you think this is the case and provided absolutely nothing to support what you are saying.
    • RosiPossum
    • By RosiPossum 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 468 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    RosiPossum
    In response to the first question:
    No, you haven't been duped. If they were busy, and didn't post it out within, say, 4 days, you could ask for a refund of the £3.99.

The timescales given in the two options mean that they will dispatch within those times. It's great if it's earlier, but it's probably there so that people can't whinge about it if they choose free delivery and it takes 5 days to dispatch.

You can by all means ask for a refund but they don't need to give you one and they can show you that they did stick to their timescales.

The FAQ shows that they try to dispatch next day, but doesn't guarantee they will. The delivery method choices give the times in which they will dispatch.

Can you see the difference?
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 11th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Back on topic...
    Actually, my £3.99 postage charge is the topic! It was AndyMc's insistence on accusing me of breaking the law that hijacked the thread.

The plates I've bought were a waste of money because they're "show plates". No police officer will ever pull me over because Demon Plates only saw a photo of my V5. The plate adheres to the rules, my V5 is genuine, Demon Plates are listed as a supplier by the DVLA - I'm sure there's nothing wrong here.

And by the sheer number of illegal plates I see every day, I don't think the DVLA, the police or anyone else actually gives a damn anyway.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 11-08-2018 at 9:58 AM.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 11th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Can you see the difference?
    Originally posted by RosiPossum
    No, I can't see the difference. Explain that to me again.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    The OP hasnít posted any links to .gov sites here, or to any other sites for that matter

In fact the only link to any website in this entire thread was posted by you, and it was to demon plates which is not a .gov site

.gov sites are sites owned and administered by the US Government by the way, perhaps you could expand on the relevance once you let us know which .gov site you are referring to?

Back on topic... there are at least 5 posts on this thread asking you to clarify why you believe there is a requirement for the seller to physically handle the original paper document. The. OP has already confirmed they provided the required documents electronically, which as far as I can see meets the requirements of the legislation.

If I am mistaken I would be happy to concede that what youíre saying is correct but you have repeatedly been asked why you think this is the case and provided absolutely nothing to support what you are saying.
    Where did I say he provided a link?
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    takman
    The plates I've bought were a waste of money because they're "show plates". No police officer will ever pull me over because Demon Plates only saw a photo of my V5. The plate adheres to the rules, my V5 is genuine, Demon Plates are listed as a supplier by the DVLA - I'm sure there's nothing wrong here.
    Originally posted by Supersonos
    Do the plates have the name of the company on them and their postcode at the bottom ?
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 3,970 Posts
    • 10,707 Thanks
    LilElvis
    If he did report your post then he wasn't the only one because I did too. There's no need to resort to childish name calling - if you don't like the responses from a particular member then put them on your ignore list, something you should be aware of if you're now on your third user name.
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Aug 18, 7:38 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    takman
    What does that have to do with my £3.99?

I've told you, the plates are legal. There's no need to ask further questions to check that they're legal.
    Originally posted by Supersonos
    You said they were "show plates" so i'm just seeing if they are road legal or not.

If you provided them with your V5C document over email as you said and they sent you plates without their Company name and Postcode on them then you would have a good reason to get a refund.

This would included a refund of your £3.99 postage as they have would have supplied incorrect goods. So it would solve your original problem!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    You said they were "show plates" so i'm just seeing if they are road legal or not.

If you provided them with your V5C document over email as you said and they sent you plates without their Company name and Postcode on them then you would have a good reason to get a refund.

This would included a refund of your £3.99 postage as they have would have supplied incorrect goods. So it would solve your original problem!
    Originally posted by takman
    There'll be nothing wrong with his plates other than the seller hasn't followed the correct procedure.

User error cost him an extra £3.99 but is it really worth it?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Aug 18, 8:42 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    What a waste of a thread, yet again you ask as question and fail to take advice.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5879784
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,723Users online

Martin's Twitter