Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 69Thanks
    Supersonos
    Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage?
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage? 8th Aug 18 at 4:34 PM
    I've ordered some number plates from Demon Plates and, at the checkout, was given this option:

Free delivery - despatched within 5-7 working days
    Express - Despatched in 2 working days

Well, over a week was quite a long time to wait, so I paid the £3.99 for express.

That was on Monday, and I've not yet received notification they've been despatched, so I looked further on their website and noticed this in their FAQs:

"We begin working on your plates pretty much as soon as we receive the order. Under normal circumstances, number plates are despatched the same or next working day from us receiving your order."

And

"we start on an order as soon as it is received. Because of this it is not possible to cancel or amend an order which has been placed on either the internet or the telephone."

So have I been duped? I could ask for my £3.99 back but, technically, they have fulfilled the order (the plates were despatched today).
Page 4
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    That's funny - you knew I bought them online yet your question suggested you knew I was at their premises.
    Originally posted by Supersonos
    So why lie about your documents?

Only because you know I'm right. There's nothing illegal about the plates.

Rather than telling me to "give it a rest", if you don't like this thread, just don't comment on it.
    Enjoy your "show plates".
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Aug 18, 4:55 PM
    • 10,379 Posts
    • 11,697 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    The only person/people who may have done anything illegal are the sellers by not seeing the required documentation.
    As it stands, the OP has made a legal purchase and provided that the plates are of the correct specification then they will be doing nothing illegal by putting them on their vehicle.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    The only person/people who may have done anything illegal are the sellers by not seeing the required documentation.
    As it stands, the OP has made a legal purchase and provided that the plates are of the correct specification then they will be doing nothing illegal by putting them on their vehicle.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Finally! Someone with some sense! Thank you.

Shame most of this thread has been filled with this odd notion about the legality of the plates.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    So why lie about your documents?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Where did I lie about my documents? When you see that I didn't, I'll look forward to your apology.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Where did I lie about my documents? When you see that I didn't, I'll look forward to your apology.
    You never produced them in order for the seller to lawfully supply the plates.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    How do you know whether or not I produced them?! At no point have I said that I haven't done so.

Again - quote the point where I lied.

And then be a man and apologise.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 10,379 Posts
    • 11,697 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    So what?
    That means that the seller was not doing as the law required them to do. It doesn't mean that the buyer was breaking any laws.

If I go into a garage and pay £20,000 in cash for a vehicle and the seller doesn't carry out any due diligence checks that they may be required to do to comply with their obligations under money laundering regulations that is nothing whatsoever to do with me.
    Provided that the money I used was lawfully obtained by me and I register, tax and insure that vehicle then providing that I am using it in accordance with all of the relevant laws, I have done nothing wrong.

It is exactly the same for the OP and their plates.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    How do you know whether or not I produced them?! At no point have I said that I haven't done so.

Again - quote the point where I lied.

And then be a man and apologise.
    Go on then explain how you do it online.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 9th Aug 18, 6:54 PM
    • 26,352 Posts
    • 35,688 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    ""Certain people are unaware that proper identification and valid DVLA paperwork are required in order to purchase number plates within the United Kingdom. This sensible UK law is designed to stop the practice of auto cloning. However, the process of presenting the right ID and documentation isn!!!8217;t too complex or long-winded. It!!!8217;s actually a simple and straightforward process and completing it quickly should not be a problem. To assist you with getting your plates in a timely fashion, we will begin to manufacture your new plates as soon as your payment is processed.
    In order to comply with UK laws, you!!!8217;ll need to send crisp pictures of your ID and DVLA-approved documentation to our company via electronic mail. When you do this in short order, you!!!8217;ll be able to get your number plates as soon as possible. Please consult our list of accepted documents in order to find out what you will need to digitally photograph and email.""
    Just curious, did they receive the info they needed to send the plates off or was there some delay?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 7:36 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Just curious, did they receive the info they needed to send the plates off or was there some delay?
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    There was no delay my end - they received everything they needed.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    There was no delay my end - they received everything they needed.
    We all know that's untrue as the transaction was all done online.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    ""Certain people are unaware that proper identification and valid DVLA paperwork are required in order to purchase number plates within the United Kingdom. This sensible UK law is designed to stop the practice of auto cloning. However, the process of presenting the right ID and documentation isn!!!8217;t too complex or long-winded. It!!!8217;s actually a simple and straightforward process and completing it quickly should not be a problem. To assist you with getting your plates in a timely fashion, we will begin to manufacture your new plates as soon as your payment is processed.
    In order to comply with UK laws, you!!!8217;ll need to send crisp pictures of your ID and DVLA-approved documentation to our company via electronic mail. When you do this in short order, you!!!8217;ll be able to get your number plates as soon as possible. Please consult our list of accepted documents in order to find out what you will need to digitally photograph and email.""
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    Legally they need to see the original documents, they're not complying with legislation by doing it all online.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 9th Aug 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    bazzyb
    Go on then explain how you do it online.
    Is this for real? In 2018 I find it difficult to believe that somebody is not aware of how documents can be scanned and submitted electronically - especially on an internet discussion forum!

The seller is required to see documentation, not physically hold the original in their hands.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Is this for real? In 2018 I find it difficult to believe that somebody is not aware of how documents can be scanned and submitted electronically - especially on an internet discussion forum!

The seller is required to see documentation, not physically hold the original in their hands.
    Originally posted by bazzyb
    Yes, see originals not copies.

Can you not comprehend the law predates electronic copies?

If you don't agree show us the amendment to that legislation.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 10th Aug 18, 7:17 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    bazzyb

My sincere apologies, I had completely forgotten that scanners, email, the internet, photocopiers and fax machines were all invented after the 2008 legislation.

As per my previous post, I have not seen anything in there that says original proofs need to be physically handled and inspected. If I am mistaken and have missed this somewhere it would be much more helpful for you to clarify what you are referring to, especially when other posters have also confirmed there is no requirement for this in the legislation.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 10th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    • 26,352 Posts
    • 35,688 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    I'm now waiting for a compo claim for distress and overcharging. Until then its a dead duck as far as I'm concerned.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    My sincere apologies, I had completely forgotten that scanners, email, the internet, photocopiers and fax machines were all invented after the 2008 legislation.

As per my previous post, I have not seen anything in there that says original proofs need to be physically handled and inspected. If I am mistaken and have missed this somewhere it would be much more helpful for you to clarify what you are referring to, especially when other posters have also confirmed there is no requirement for this in the legislation.
    Originally posted by bazzyb
    Registration of Registration Plate Suppliers 2008 - Schedule: verification ducunents. Makes no reference of copies, scans, faxs or even certified copies being accepted.

But then I stand to be corrected with you show me the legislation.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    The only mention of copies I can see if the supplier can keep a copy of the document as a record of the documents used for verification.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 10th Aug 18, 3:14 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos

They did see originals. I sent them a photo of the original V5. If anything, they now have saved, documented proof of what they've seen. A photo of my V5 sent from my email address.

Can you not comprehend that none of this makes any difference to whether or not they should have charged me an additional £3.99?

I followed all the rules of their website, a website I checked was legit using DVLA's own website.

If their practices are not lawful, that is absolutely not my problem. The plates are legal and I legally own the registration.
    Last edited by Supersonos; 10-08-2018 at 3:16 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    They did see originals. I sent them a photo of the original V5. If anything, they now have saved, documented proof of what they've seen. A photo of my V5 sent from my email address.

Can you not comprehend that none of this makes any difference to whether or not they should have charged me an additional £3.99?

I followed all the rules of their website, a website I checked was legit using DVLA's own website.

Their practices are not lawful, that is absolutely not my problem. The plates are legal and I legally own the registration.
    You chose the express dispatch and they didn't see the originals they saw a copy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,630Posts Today

8,859Users online

Martin's Twitter