Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 69Thanks
    Supersonos
    Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage?
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage? 8th Aug 18 at 4:34 PM
    I've ordered some number plates from Demon Plates and, at the checkout, was given this option:

Free delivery - despatched within 5-7 working days
    Express - Despatched in 2 working days

Well, over a week was quite a long time to wait, so I paid the £3.99 for express.

That was on Monday, and I've not yet received notification they've been despatched, so I looked further on their website and noticed this in their FAQs:

"We begin working on your plates pretty much as soon as we receive the order. Under normal circumstances, number plates are despatched the same or next working day from us receiving your order."

And

"we start on an order as soon as it is received. Because of this it is not possible to cancel or amend an order which has been placed on either the internet or the telephone."

So have I been duped? I could ask for my £3.99 back but, technically, they have fulfilled the order (the plates were despatched today).
Page 3
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 11:13 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    No you haven't you failed in your due diligence.

All the information is there, this is the one time you should have used Halfords.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    If you feel DVLA's systems are so lacking that they're allowing illegal suppliers to be included on their list of registered suppliers, I suggest you take it up with the DVLA.

When the police pull me over for buying an illegal plate, I'll be sure to come back here and offer my profuse apolgies. But unless you tell me what is so illegal, I can't possibly avoid the situation.

They shouldn't really be selling them as number plates over the web but no one seems to care about the shoe plates you've purchased.
    Maybe the real problem here is that when people do care, the people who have the details choose to not share them.

I guess I'll just have to use my shoe plates.
    Last edited by Supersonos; 08-08-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    If you feel DVLA's systems are so lacking that they're allowing illegal suppliers to be included on their list of registered suppliers, I suggest you take it up with the DVLA.

When the police pull me over for buying an illegal plate, I'll be sure to come back here and offer my profuse apolgies. But unless you tell me what is so illegal, I can't possibly avoid the situation.

Maybe the real problem here is that when people do care, the people who have the details choose to not share them.

I guess I'll just have to use my shoe plates.
    Originally posted by Supersonos

User error again.
    don't count your chickens before they're hatched
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 9th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 26,535 Posts
    • 36,173 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    I can't see the fuss.

Unless I've missed something,

Ordered Monday, despatch chosen 2 working days, despatched Wednesday. Job done. Even if the order was placed 8 am Monday then they would have had till 5pm Tuesday to send them. Hardly a problem worth 21 posts.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 9:18 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    I can't see the fuss.

Unless I've missed something,

Ordered Monday, despatch chosen 2 working days, despatched Wednesday. Job done. Even if the order was placed 8 am Monday then they would have had till 5pm Tuesday to send them. Hardly a problem worth 21 posts.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    The 21 posts is because people seem to think Demon Plates are illegal. I'd love to know why they think that because then I'd consider returning the illegal plates for a refund, but no-one seems to want to tell me.

I'm also surprised the DVLA list an allegedly illegal supplier on their website.

As the for despatch, it's the fact that I was persuaded to pay £3.99 for "express despatch" when it turns out that their free standard despatch is actually exactly the same. Paying the £3.99 apparently makes no difference to the despatch time.
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    takman
    The 21 posts is because people seem to think Demon Plates are illegal. I'd love to know why they think that because then I'd consider returning the illegal plates for a refund, but no-one seems to want to tell me.

I'm also surprised the DVLA list an allegedly illegal supplier on their website.
    Are you not reading this thread? Posts #8, #24 and #34 all explain why they are illegal because they didn't ask for documentation before they made them, yet you keep saying no one has told you?

Just because the DVLA list them as a supplier doesn't mean that they follow the correct procedure for every order.

Then in post #7 you ask what is illegal about what you bought:

What's illegal about what I've bought?
    Then when people try and answer that question you say it's not relevant :

None of this makes any difference to my original question and is therefore not relevant.
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 9th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    wesleyad
    As the for despatch, it's the fact that I was persuaded to pay £3.99 for "express despatch" when it turns out that their free standard despatch is actually exactly the same. Paying the £3.99 apparently makes no difference to the despatch time.
    Have I missed something, have they been despatched within the 2 days? If not I'd say you have reason to complain.

Or are you arguing that express and free can have the same despatch time?
    If so, the key here is they say "under normal circumstances". So they try to despatch for free within 2 days, but they cant guarantee it. Hence why you can pay for express.

Like how if you post something 2nd class it can still get there next day, but you don't think you've been duped if you buy 1st class to make sure.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 9th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 26,535 Posts
    • 36,173 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    I must be reading it all wrong then.
    £3.99 for despatch within 2 working days---Ordered Monday, Despatch Wednesday = 2 working days
    Free despatch = 5-7 working days.
    Can't see where their standard despatch is the same as express.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Can't see where their standard despatch is the same as express.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    It's all explained in my very first post. All over the rest of their website it says that the plates will normally be despatched the same or next day. So it seems express despatch is actually normal despatch.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Have I missed something, have they been despatched within the 2 days? If not I'd say you have reason to complain.

Or are you arguing that express and free can have the same despatch time?
    If so, the key here is they say "under normal circumstances". So they try to despatch for free within 2 days, but they cant guarantee it. Hence why you can pay for express.

Like how if you post something 2nd class it can still get there next day, but you don't think you've been duped if you buy 1st class to make sure.
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    Yeah, you have a good point. Whether or not they've been despatched, I don't know. I ordered them at about 10am Monday and they've not yet arrived.

I guess it just seemed a little underhanded that, at the point of check out, they suddenly announce that standard delivery takes 5-7 days. Not "Can take up to 7 days but usually despatched the next day."

Literally everywhere else on their site says plates are usually despatched same or next day.

I've asked them for a refund of the £3.99.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 10:44 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Are you not reading this thread? Posts #8, #24 and #34 all explain why they are illegal because they didn't ask for documentation before they made them, yet you keep saying no one has told you?
    Originally posted by takman
    No, that's people assuming I haven't shown them my documents. I knew what they were getting at, but didn't want to get drawn into an argument about how emails of documents are no good because they can be forged etc.etc.

The number legally belongs to me and the plates are of the correct size, font and spacing. There's nothing illegal about the number plates.

Demon Plates is listed on DVLA's website. As a consumer, I'm not sure there's much more I could do.

It's a theme of this forum that certain people focus on details that have no relevance to the question asked. I just enjoy winding them up further.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 9th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 11,813 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    Seems feasible that if they had a lot of orders in hand - they should do the "express" customers first and then the "free" customers. So the free customers might get a despatch in 2 days or it might be 3 or 5 or... the express customers get a 2 day despatch or their money back.
    Womble #7 - Running Total £28.12 $4.28 Ä6.64 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.91 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    • 28,229 Posts
    • 11,484 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Even the DVLA don't care - Demon Plates are listed on the DVLA website as a Registered Number Plate Supplier.

Wrong... My mate thought he was doing it properly by registering with the DVLA and then advertised on ebay.

The DVLA gave him a warning for selling them on ebay, he could not prove the buyers identity and whether the buyer had a legal right to the plates.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 09-08-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    No, that's people assuming I haven't shown them my documents. I knew what they were getting at, but didn't want to get drawn into an argument about how emails of documents are no good because they can be forged etc.etc.

The number legally belongs to me and the plates are of the correct size, font and spacing. There's nothing illegal about the number plates.

Demon Plates is listed on DVLA's website. As a consumer, I'm not sure there's much more I could do.

It's a theme of this forum that certain people focus on details that have no relevance to the question asked. I just enjoy winding them up further.
    So whilst you were at their premises showing them your documents why didnít you bring the plates home and save on postage?
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Wrong... My mate thought he was doing it properly by registering with the DVLA and then advertised on ebay.

The DVLA gave him a warning for selling them on ebay, he could not prove the buyers identity and whether the buyer had a legal right to the plates.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    And how is that my problem? I legally own the plate, the plate adheres to the rules (correct spacing, font etc). Nothing I've done in the process is illegal.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    So whilst you were at their premises showing them your documents why didn!!!8217;t you bring the plates home and save on postage?
    Because they said it takes them a few hours to make them. I decided to go home and have them post them instead as I didn't need them on Monday.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Because they said it takes them a few hours to make them. I decided to go home and have them post them instead as I didn't need them on Monday.
    Thatís funny because your op suggests you bought them online.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    And how is that my problem? I legally own the plate, the plate adheres to the rules (correct spacing, font etc). I will not admit to doing anything illegal.

Iíd give it a rest now, youíve had your answers.

Letís hope the postman can be bothered to walk down the drive to deliver the plates you were stood at the checkout with on Monday.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 9th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    • 5,757 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    DoaM
    Funnily enough, the OP did. After all, you wouldn't be presented with checkout options for a face-to-face transaction.

I've ordered some number plates from Demon Plates and, at the checkout, was given this option:
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    That's funny - you knew I bought them online yet your question suggested you knew I was at their premises.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 9th Aug 18, 1:44 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Iíd give it a rest now, youíve had your answers.
    Only because you know I'm right. There's nothing illegal about the plates.

Rather than telling me to "give it a rest", if you don't like this thread, just don't comment on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

536Posts Today

5,019Users online

Martin's Twitter