Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 69Thanks
    Supersonos
    Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage?
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage? 8th Aug 18 at 4:34 PM
    I've ordered some number plates from Demon Plates and, at the checkout, was given this option:

Free delivery - despatched within 5-7 working days
    Express - Despatched in 2 working days

Well, over a week was quite a long time to wait, so I paid the 3.99 for express.

That was on Monday, and I've not yet received notification they've been despatched, so I looked further on their website and noticed this in their FAQs:

"We begin working on your plates pretty much as soon as we receive the order. Under normal circumstances, number plates are despatched the same or next working day from us receiving your order."

And

"we start on an order as soon as it is received. Because of this it is not possible to cancel or amend an order which has been placed on either the internet or the telephone."

So have I been duped? I could ask for my 3.99 back but, technically, they have fulfilled the order (the plates were despatched today).
Page 2
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    If you posted them to the supplier yes.

How did you do it?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    None of this makes any difference to my original question and is therefore not relevant.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 8th Aug 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2,475 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    k3lvc
    None of this makes any difference to my original question and is therefore not relevant.
    Originally posted by Supersonos
    And in the same way you chose this supplier over many other local (and fully legal) suppliers for a reason - on that basis it seems you're on your own
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    And in the same way you chose this supplier over many other local (and fully legal) suppliers for a reason - on that basis it seems you're on your own
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    Demon Plates are fully legal.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 19,721 Posts
    • 13,919 Thanks
    molerat
    If you posted them to the supplier yes.
    Where does The Vehicles Crime (Registration of Registration Plate Suppliers) Regulations 2008 state that ?

6.(1) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), a registered person (other than a relevant repairer in circumstances where paragraph (9) applies) shall obtain from the prospective purchaser of a registration plate the information referred to in paragraph (2) before the sale takes place.
    No mention of how that information / documents is obtained & verified.
    Last edited by molerat; 08-08-2018 at 6:32 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Where does The Vehicles Crime (Registration of Registration Plate Suppliers) Regulations 2008 state that ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    I'm sure it doesn't explicitly say "Demon Plates is legal".

But in what way are they illegal? Lots of people on this thread are making this accusation, but no-one wants to actually back it up with some facts.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I'm sure it doesn't explicitly say "Demon Plates is legal".

But in what way are they illegal? Lots of people on this thread are making this accusation, but no-one wants to actually back it up with some facts.
    You said the legality of your plates isn't relevant.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

And how do they verify that information is correct?
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

But as you like to quote the regs I'd suggest you read them first.

Up to 7 (3) (c)

A photocopy or scan is not a document
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 8,814 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Going back to your question about postage, I think this is a case of the seller getting his despatch and delivery messed up.

Despatch is the time they take to send the order, delivery is the time the carrier takes to deliver. Clearly this company have either used the wrong wording or don't know the difference.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Going back to your question about postage, I think this is a case of the seller getting his despatch and delivery messed up.

Despatch is the time they take to send the order, delivery is the time the carrier takes to deliver. Clearly this company have either used the wrong wording or don't know the difference.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Interesting point.

The exact wording is:

"Select your postage method.
    Standard - Free. Despatched in 5-7 working days
    Express - 3.99. Despatched in 2 working days"

The postage is actually the same (Royal Mail 48 for each). It's actually express despatch, although every other part of their site suggests despatch is generally within 2 days anyway.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Interesting point.

The exact wording is:

The postage is actually the same (Royal Mail 48 for each). It's actually express despatch, although every other part of their site suggests despatch is generally within 2 days anyway.
    There's selling number plates illegally so why should they be bothered about other legislation?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 8,814 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Interesting point.

The exact wording is:

As I said.

I think this is a case of the seller getting his despatch and delivery messed up.
    I'm not sure what bit of my post you misunderstood.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 9:17 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    There's selling number plates illegally so why should they be bothered about other legislation?
    Are you drunk?

You're the one who thinks there's [sic] selling them illegally, but refuse to explain why you think so:

They shouldn't really be selling them as number plates over the web but... no one cares whether they are sold legally or not.
    I think they're fine and see no reason to think I've bought something illegal.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 9:55 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Are you drunk?

You're the one who thinks there's [sic] selling them illegally, but refuse to explain why you think so:

I think they're fine and see no reason to think I've bought something illegal.
    Read the regs on selling number plates.

Did you show the, your original documents? No so they've been illegally made and supplied. Technically speaking they're not number plates.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 10:21 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Read the regs on selling number plates.
    Why should I read the regs? I'm not a lawyer or a police officer. I'm a consumer. It's not my job to enforce the rules on selling number plates. I did my due diligence and checked on the DVLA website that they were a registered supplier. If their practices are illegal, I'd suggest your gripe is with the DVLA and not with me/Demon Plates.

Did you show the, your original documents?
    I think you are drunk.

Again, this has no relevance to my question. Whether I have or haven't shown my documents makes no difference on whether or not they should have suggested not paying 3.99 would have meant a 5-7 day lead time.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 8th Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    I think it's a case of mixed up terminology - they probably use a slower postage method for the free delivery.
    I run a fairly large online business and used to do the same - 2 tiers of delivery pricing, one for the stuff you didn't need in a rush, and one for when it's needed ASAP.

Since then I've just gone back to a single tier - everything goes out ASAP. Keeps it simple, and means I don't trip over lots of stacked non-urgent orders!
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 10:33 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    they probably use a slower postage method for the free delivery.
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004
    Both methods use the same delivery service.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 10:43 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Why should I read the regs? I'm not a lawyer or a police officer. I'm a consumer. It's not my job to enforce the rules on selling number plates. I did my due diligence and checked on the DVLA website that they were a registered supplier. If their practices are illegal, I'd suggest your gripe is with the DVLA and not with me/Demon Plates.

I think you are drunk.

Again, this has no relevance to my question. Whether I have or haven't shown my documents makes no difference on whether or not they should have suggested not paying 3.99 would have meant a 5-7 day lead time.

So you read the bit about showing the original documents?
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 8th Aug 18, 10:57 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    So you read the bit about showing the original documents?
    I did read that bit, yes. It's on the page where you can search for Registered Number Plate Suppliers. Demon Plates are one of those Registered Number Plate Suppliers. They come up as one of the results when you search for Registered Number Plate Suppliers on DVLA's website about Registered Number Plate Suppliers. Those being Number Plate Suppliers that are registered with the DVLA.

What does that have to do with my original question about postage costs?
    So have I been duped?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I did read that bit, yes. It's on the page where you can search for Registered Number Plate Suppliers. Demon Plates are one of those Registered Number Plate Suppliers. They come up as one of the results when you search for Registered Number Plate Suppliers on DVLA's website about Registered Number Plate Suppliers. Those being Number Plate Suppliers that are registered with the DVLA.

What does that have to do with my original question about postage costs?
    No you haven't you failed in your due diligence.

All the information is there, this is the one time you should have used Halfords.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

395Posts Today

2,404Users online

Martin's Twitter