Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paperweight3
    • By Paperweight3 8th Aug 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Paperweight3
    Ex will not close IF bank account
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:30 PM
    Ex will not close IF bank account 8th Aug 18 at 4:30 PM
    My ex husband refuses to close the IF joint bank account. IF have said they will ask his permission to remove my name from the account which he will not do either. The bank have frozen the account and it is in credit.

I do not want a joint account with my ex husband. I have seen that HSBC will close joint bank accounts in such circumstances. It seems wrong in the 21 century that I need to ask my ex's permission to close the account or remove my name. We have a consent order in place therefore are not financially tied - just have this joint account lingering.

Any advice?
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 61,352 Posts
    • 54,597 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    Wasn't the account dealt with as part of the Consent Order.

How much is in the account?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Paperweight3
    • By Paperweight3 8th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Paperweight3
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    Unfortunately the account wasn't dealt with in the consent order. I only realised this when I discovered the account was still open last month. I had mistakenly thought as it was a mortgage and current account all in one that it had been closed when the mortgage was paid off in February.

There is just pence in the account now.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 27,687 Posts
    • 16,640 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    There is just pence in the account now.
    The account is in dispute so can be used by neither of you.

The account is in credit to the tune of a few pennies. You are perfectly willing for your ex husband to have all the money in the account.

https://www.if.com/

The bank is no longer opening current accounts.

You are divorced.

Why is the bank being so intransigent?

You might make a formal request in writing and if refused, approach the Ombudsman?
    • Paperweight3
    • By Paperweight3 8th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Paperweight3
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    I've written asking them to close the account and they refuse. I spoke to the bank and asked if they'll remove me from the account which they won't unless he gives his permission, which he won't. I'm more than happy for him to have all the pennies that remain in the account.

I just don't understand it as other accounts will close in these circumstances.

IF have said that if I wish to continue with my complaint they'll reply within 8 weeks. At that point if they will not remove me or close the account I guess then I'll write to the ombudsman. It feels like a farce an very draconian.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 8th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    They can close the account or remove you (as the account is in credit)
    A formal complaint might be more fruitful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,779Posts Today

6,764Users online

Martin's Twitter