Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newstart3
    • By Newstart3 8th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 40Thanks
    Newstart3
    Old Lloyds TSB Overdraft Debt
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    Old Lloyds TSB Overdraft Debt 8th Aug 18 at 4:15 PM
    Hi

I'm looking for some advice as I'm getting pretty frustrated with TSB. I defaulted on an overdraft account back in 2014. I've been paying my back my debt using the F&F settlement method and I've done pretty well to clear all my debts except this one. My issue is that TSB has never sold the debt on and every time I call them up, I get passed round the houses and even cut off. They don't have my current address, as I've never got far enough with them to actually update it! It's strange as I also had a credit card (by that went to Lloyds) which was passed onto a debt collection agency pretty much straight away. My credit file shows the debt as owing to TSB. Could it be possible that this debt has fallen between the cracks when Lloyds & TSB seperated?

I'd really hoped by this point that it would be passed to a debt collector who may be more willing to settle. Either way I can't even speak to anyone regarding my account. Has anyone had this issue before? What's my next steps? Should I write to them? Carrier pigeon, smoke signals????

I never imagined when I started this journey, I'd have issues actually trying to give creditors my money!! Obviously my concern is that it becomes a CCJ without my knowledge!

Cheers

L x
    TSB 3,303, MBMA 4,315, Barclays 4,463, Argos 1,260, Mortimer Clarke CCJ 2,174, Lloyds CC 1534, Littlewoods 796, Next 510, Wonga 123, , Lending Stream 1 130.87, Bensons for beds 1509, Lending Stream 2 255.96, Lloyds CC 1,534, Total Jan 16 21,908, Feb 20,412 Sept 15,515 Total Aug 18 3,303
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    Hi Newstart3,

The best thing to do in this situation is write to them, and do it recorded delivery. That will allow you to update the address information and make a settlement offer. County court claim forms are sent to the last known UK address, so as long as you update them, and can prove that, you should receive any future paperwork (including court papers).

When you do a full and final offer you will need to get the creditor to agree, in writing, not to chase you for the shortfall, and not to pass to any other organisation that will chase you for the shortfall. They will need to agree to mark your credit file as partially settled and with a 0 and that the account will be closed. If they agree to all of that, in writing, then you make the payment to settle the account. Do not accept confirmation over the phone and keep a copy of everything for 6 years. We have a sample letter to help you - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Full-and-final-settlement-offers-%28sole-name%29.aspx

If you have done your previous settlements over the phone, then I would suggest you check your credit file to see how they are marked. If they show as 0 and partially settled it should be fine, but keep a copy of that credit file for 6 years. If any are still showing as an outstanding balance, it may be worth chasing that up sooner rather than later.

Laura
    @natdebtline

We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Newstart3
    • By Newstart3 9th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Newstart3
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    Thanks for your help Laura, I'll write to TSB today and hopefully they will come back with something helpful
    TSB 3,303, MBMA 4,315, Barclays 4,463, Argos 1,260, Mortimer Clarke CCJ 2,174, Lloyds CC 1534, Littlewoods 796, Next 510, Wonga 123, , Lending Stream 1 130.87, Bensons for beds 1509, Lending Stream 2 255.96, Lloyds CC 1,534, Total Jan 16 21,908, Feb 20,412 Sept 15,515 Total Aug 18 3,303
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,563Users online

Martin's Twitter