Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • henryandmay
    • By henryandmay 8th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 8Thanks
    henryandmay
    Switching HL to Vanguard
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    Switching HL to Vanguard 8th Aug 18 at 4:13 PM
    Hello,
    I'm currently helping my sister who is newly divorced sort her finances out.

She has a S&S Isa with H&L which shes hasn!!!8217;t used for over 2 years but she does have some shares in an individual company in there.

She is wanting to open a Vanguard Life strategy 80 via Vanguard and hold it in a S&S ISA with them but from my understanding you can only have one S&s ISA so if she switches, what happens to the shares she holds in her H&L isa. Can you transfer these or does she have to sell?

Thanks in advance.
    Hen.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 8th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 8,692 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    from my understanding you can only have one S&s ISA
    Originally posted by henryandmay
    No, the rule is that one can only pay new money into one ISA of each type in any given tax year, so there's nothing stopping her from opening a new S&S ISA with Vanguard without affecting the HL one (as long as the latter only holds prior year contributions), no switch needed....
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 8th Aug 18, 4:22 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 5,646 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:22 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:22 PM
    You can only contribute new money to one investment ISA in any financial year but you can have as many ISAs as you like. She can leave her shares as they are with HL
    • henryandmay
    • By henryandmay 8th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    henryandmay
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    Super. All makes sense.
    Thanks.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 8th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    • 2,876 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    whether she should tie her money up in a single share is a different question
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 26,120 Posts
    • 15,478 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    She could always consider selling the shares in HL and transferring the ISA to Vanguard?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    • 10,143 Posts
    • 11,409 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    Just to correct your terminology she'll be wanting to open a Vanguard ISA that contains a vanguard fund which is this case would be Vanguard Life Strategy 80. (Rather than "opening' a VlLS80) She'll also need to decide if she is buying the income or accumulation version. If she just wants growth take the accumulation.

Also note that you can only hold Vanguard funds in a Vanguard ISA. What are the plans for the single company shares ?
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 09-08-2018 at 3:08 PM. Reason: typos
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

4,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin